Dads Weekend begins Nov. 9
Jan 13, 2012
By Lexi Messenger
With the cold weather and impending snow, we're certainly far from June. But why wait until Father's Day to celebrate your dad? There's no better chance to bond than this special weekend created just for him.
During Dads Weekend, Jan. 20-22, students can show off all the great things Ohio University has to offer while catching up on some family time. Here is a preview of this year's events.
- Check out some of the impressive work done by current students in the Interior Architecture department in the Trisolini Gallery at Baker University Center. The Interior Architecture Exhibition will be open Friday, Jan. 20, and Saturday, Jan. 21, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Add even more culture to your life by stopping by the School of Art Biennial Faculty Exhibition in the Kennedy Museum of Art on Friday, Jan. 20, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The College of Fine Arts is celebrating their 75th anniversary by featuring work by School of Art teaching, emeriti and retired faculty.
- Students and Dads can come together for services and a special Shabbat chicken dinner from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 20 at Hillel, located at 21 Mill St.
- The School of Dance presents the Athens Black Contemporary Dance Company on Friday, Jan. 20, and Saturday, Jan. 21, at 7:30 p.m. in the Shirley Wimmer Dance Theatre in Putnam Hall. Watch this student-based organization as they perform stunning choreography that celebrates Black themes and aesthetics. Find out more information, including admission prices, by clicking here.
- Support OHIO Wrestling as they aim to squash the Kent State Golden Flashes. This MAC match-up takes place Friday, Jan. 20, at 7:30 p.m. in the Convocation Center.
- An Ohio University tradition for 20 years, Open Stage at the Front Room in Baker University Center starts at 8 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 20. Grab a cup of coffee, and maybe even the microphone, and join host Bruce Dalzell at the longest running Open Stage in Athens.
- Take your dad golfing but stay out of the cold with the second annual Alden Open Mini-Golf Outing on Saturday, Jan. 21, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Registration is on the fourth floor of Alden Library. Tickets are nine holes for $5 and 18 holes for $10 per person. Don't miss the food, refreshments and raffle prizes, including gift certificates to some of your favorite places in Athens. Proceeds will benefit participants in the annual Ohio University Student Research and Creativity Expo. For more information, click here.
- Get ready for one of the biggest games this season as OHIO Men's Basketball takes on Miami, Saturday, Jan. 21, at 2 p.m. in the Convocation Center. The game is billed as "Gary Trent Day" and Athletics will honor the career accomplishments of the former basketball great. Tickets range from $1 to $20 so buy yours soon. Student admission is free. For more information about ticket pricing and seating, click here.
- On Saturday, Jan. 21, from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Sunday, Jan. 22, from 1:20 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Bird Arena will be open for recreational ice skating. The cost is $4 for guests. Ohio University students get in free.
- As a special Dads Weekend event Chicago City Limits, an energetic, award-winning improv group, will be performing at Templeton Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Saturday, Jan. 21, at 8 p.m. All tickets are $18. Please note, this performance may contain content that is offensive and may be inappropriate for younger audience members. Find out more information here.
- Cheer on OHIO Women's Basketball Sunday, Jan. 22, at 2 p.m. as they challenge the Toledo Rockets at the Convocation Center.
- Join director Stephen Miahky at the Faculty Chamber Music Series Concert on Sunday, Jan. 22 at 4 p.m. in Glidden Hall. This concert will feature guest artist Alan Terricciano from the University of California-Irvine.
- Watch the OHIO wrestling team take down Bloomsburg University wrestlers on Sunday, Jan. 22, at 5:30 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Click here for a full list of events.