Apr 22, 2011
Debra M. Benton
On Friday, in a message to the entire Ohio University community, University Registrar Debra Benton related some urgent changes to registrations and other University policies.
Many of the services the Office of the University Registrar provides for students are about to change. The first changes are set to start soon, and I want to encourage anyone who has questions to contact my office by e-mailing email@example.com. Changes related to how you register for classes take effect with summer registration and fall priority registration. In addition, some academic policy revisions relating to academic probation, course retake policy, and full-time status will be implemented this summer. The academic policy changes apply only to undergraduate students. Details are provided below.
- You will use a class number from Course Offerings to register for classes.
- You will be able to register for multiple classes at once rather than adding each class individually.
- Step-by-step Registration Instructions are available online in the Summer Schedule of Classes.
- A brief video is available to show you how to register for classes using My OHIO Student Center.
- Since there is no priority registration for summer you do not have to meet with an academic advisor, but it is recommended, especially if you have questions.
- Undergraduate students are required to meet with an academic advisor prior to registering for classes. The RAC is no longer used, but your advisor must clear you for registering before you can register for classes.
- Your enrollment appointment (registration access) time will be available in My OHIO Student Center which may be accessed via My OHIO portal. You will receive a notification when your appointment time has been assigned.
- For planning purposes only, you may add classes to your cart in My OHIO Student Center prior to your enrollment appointment time, but not before May 16. You are not registered in your classes until you finalize your registration by clicking “Finish Enrolling” and receive the success message for each class to indicate you are enrolled.
- Your schedule will be available in My OHIO Student Center after you have registered for classes for Summer or Fall.
- Continue to update your address, phone number, and emergency contact information in the Update MyAddress system. Beginning June 20, you will be able to make these changes in My OHIO Student Center.
- The new system will be available nearly 24/7, but might be down Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings for maintenance.
In June 2010 Faculty Senate passed three resolutions that affect academic policy for undergraduate students and are effective with Summer 2010-11. These policies apply to all undergraduate students regardless of catalog of entry.
- Deficiency points are no longer used.
- All students (full-time and part-time) are reviewed at the end of each term.
- Minimum accumulative GPA to be continued on probation is determined on a graduated scale based on the student’s total hours earned.
Effective Summer Quarter 2010-11, the number of times that a student is allowed to retake an undergraduate course for the purpose of improving the grade will be restricted to a maximum of two in addition to the first attempt. Withdrawals are not counted as an attempt.
Effective first Summer Session 2010-11, full-time student enrollment status for undergraduates at Ohio University will be defined as enrollment in a minimum of 12 quarter hours. (Eleven hours will continue to be the minimum hours at which standard tuition is charged.)
If you have any questions related to these changes please don’t hesitate to contact my office at 740-593-9602 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best wishes for a great spring quarter!
Debra M. Benton