Call For Submissions: CIS Research and Creative Activity Award
2019 Center for International Studies Research and Creative Activity Award
The Center for International Studies (CIS) Research and Creative Activity Award (Award) provides an annual award to support research or creative activity project. The purpose of the Award is to support an internationally significant project that is carried out by an individual faculty member, or an interdisciplinary team representing two separate disciplines that showcases the best of Ohio University’s commitment to producing internationally relevant scholarship across a diverse range of fields and disciplines.
This Award, funded by the Ohio University CIS, aims to highlight the university’s decades-long commitment to promoting internationally - oriented scholarship. It will provide an annual amount of $5,000 to an individual faculty member or $7,500 to an interdisciplinary team of faculty members. Proposed projects should be internationally visible and should lead to a significant outcome within the grant period or advance a promising new or emerging research or creative activity project/program.
All CIS Affiliated Faculty.
Academic year 2019-2020 Deadlines
The application period will open on October 1 st and will close on November 15 th, 2019.
The award will be made by the CIS’s Academic Committee following a review of all proposals.
Priority will be given according to the following criteria:
- High scholarly quality of the proposal and the proposed project.
- The project’s results in an internationally visible output(s) and/or outcome(s) that would not otherwise have been possible without the award.
- The project’s intellectual and practical activities align with the Center’s goal of supporting scholarship that promotes global citizenship and understanding, sustainable and responsible development, and contributing to peace and justice in the world.
- The project requires international travel to one or more countries.
- The project can reasonably be accomplished with available funds and provides a reasonable and transparent budget.
- The proposal provides evidence that research undertaken with the award will lead to new funding opportunities internal or external to the university.
- Funding will not be provided to projects that are already supported by other internal or external grant sources.
Budget and Award Terms
Awards will be made in January 15th, 2020. Funds must be expensed within the one-year period of the announcement of the Award. The award is intended to defray the costs of conducting clearly defined research and creative activity projects including, but not limited to:
- International travel and living expenses.
- Research and Creative Activity related expenses, e.g., subject fees, access to specialized data sets, purchase of access to archival materials or images unavailable in the U.S., supplies that will be consumed in the course of the project.
- Temporary research assistants, translators, or transcribers.
No awards will be made for equipment purchases, to subsidize publications, to cover travel and expenses for attendance and participation at professional meetings, or to provide salary subsidies or course buy-outs.
In Fall 2020-2021 the awardee will be invited to provide a public lecture presenting the research and preliminary findings to the CIS community of students and faculty. They will also be asked to submit a report based on their research supported by the award. Final report must be submitted no later than March 15, 2021.
Proposal Format and Submission
Each proposal must include the following items, in the order listed, as a single .pdf file:
- Cover page: Name of faculty member(s), Department and Center affiliation(s), Phone and email contact(s), Proposal title
- A complete project description (3-5 pages)
- Identification of participating collaborators and institutions/agencies in the site/country where the faculty member is going to conduct research (if applicable)
- Identification of need for IRB approval at OHIO and other institutions if required
- A total budget break-down indicating how the project would make use of the $5,000 or $7,500 award, and a timeline of activities
- Curriculum vitae of all individuals
- Supporting letter(s) for projects in which there are direct collaborations and/or involve an institution or agency in data collection or other essential resources to conduct the research or creative activity.
Submission of Application
Electronically to email@example.com, with a subject header of “2019 CIS Affiliated Faculty Research and Creative Activity Award Application.”