Office of Student Services
CHSP Academic Advisers for Undecided Students
Assistant Dean for Student Services
370W Grover Center
Retention & Advising Coordinator
364W Grover Center
The relationship between our students and their academic advisers is important to us. When you enroll in the College, you will be assigned an academic adviser in your declared major. If you are undecided about a major, your academic adviser will be a member of the dean's office staff while you are exploring your opportunities; when you have declared a major, an adviser in your major will be assigned.
You will meet with your adviser each semester to review your progress. We think it is important for students to get to know their advisers and teachers beyond just an advising session too. Each semester, an advising hold will be placed on your student account. This hold will only be lifted once you have completed a one-on-one or group session with your adviser. You will not be able to register for classes until you have met with your academic adviser.
What can you expect of your adviser? According to Ohio University's student handbook, you can expect your adviser to:
- Establish and adhere to reasonable office hours.
- Be knowledgeable of the different interests of both traditional and nontraditional students and adapt the advising accordingly.
- Understand the mechanics of enrolling you for a semester, such as scheduling and closed-class situations.
- Understand all aspects of the university grading policy.
- Be familiar with the variety of university degree offerings.
- Know where to refer you in cases of special needs.
- Be aware of departmental major and university general education requirements.
- Help you plan a complete course of study utilizing career interests and academic records, as well as providing available information on the frequency of course offerings and possible scheduling conflicts.
- Help you rethink your course of study in the event your career interests change.
- Relay information that he or she may have available regarding activities that may enhance your learning experiences.