Undergraduate Application Process and Requirements
Requirements for Applying to the Major
After achieving pre-major status, you will work on a planned course of study that leads to being able to apply to the major and, eventually, graduation with a degree in social work. The requirements and procedures for applying to the major are outlined in the sections below.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Completion of the following social work courses:
- SW 1000 and SW 2601, both with a minimum grade of 'C (2.0).'
- Completion of the following non-social work required courses:
- BIOS 1030 or BIOS 1300, PSY 1010, PSY 2110, PSY 2410 and PSY 2710 (and their prerequisites)
- Completion of one course in two of the following four disciplines: anthropology, economics, political science and sociology
- Tier I composition (ENG 1510) and quantitative skills (MATH 1200)
- At least two semesters (in any one language) of college-level foreign language (BASW requirement only)
- Completion of paid or volunteer experience in the area of social services (20 hours of service are required and must be documented on the 'Human Services Experience Form')
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours of college-level course work leading to a baccalaureate degree. Students transferring from colleges or universities other than OHIO must complete a minimum of 15 semester hours at OHIO before applying.
These guidelines apply for all students (Athens-based and regional).
Procedure for applying to the Social Work major
All students seeking admission to the major, including transfer students are required to submit an online application. The link to the online application is below listed as 'Social Work Major Application'. Before you click the link and begin to submit your online application, please have the following items ready: an electronic copy of your personal statement and a copy of your Human Service form (if applicable). If you have questions, contact the program administrator at email@example.com.
Applications to the major are accepted fall and spring semesters. Deadline for the application is the Friday of the second week of the selected semester.
Undergraduate Social Work Application forms
- Personal Statement Outline (DOCX)
- Human Services Experience Form (DOCX) (to be used by students who completed SW2601 prior to Fall 2014)
- Professional Expectations of Student Behavior (DOCX)
Other Miscellaneous Forms
- Incomplete Grade Policy (DOCX)
- Request for delayed entry into the senior sequencing and field (DOCX)
- Social Work Independent Study Form (DOCX)
Graduate Application Process
Application to the master's program is made through the Ohio University Graduate College website. Applications are due Feb. 14 for on campus programs.
All application materials are submitted online. The program graduate committee recommends or denies admission and forwards the decision to the Graduate College. Your file is reviewed for completeness, and a letter is sent to you indicating admission, admission pending fulfillment of admission requirements or denial of admission.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants are required to collect all materials (except OHIO transcripts, which MAY be submitted with the application or separately) and submit them online at the Graduate College website.
- Materials that all applicants must submit to apply:
- MSW Application Requirement Checklist
- A completed Professional Expectations of Student Behavior (DOCX)
- Complete Graduate Application with required payment. Available here
- Your application personal statement
- A professional resume
- Three (3) letters of reference (please request these early). Be sure that your references include the following:
- at least one reference from someone who has supervised you in paid or volunteer human service work
- the second and third reference may be from either a faculty member or human service supervisor; for advanced standing, one of these letters must be from your field supervisor at your undergraduate internship in social work
- no references should be from family members or close friends, even if they meet these criteria
- Each application for admission must be accompanied by one (1) official transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, regardless of whether or not a degree was earned or the credits are reflected on a separate transcript as transfer credit. Students graduating from Ohio University must submit transcripts for postsecondary work done elsewhere, even if those transcripts have already been submitted to the student's undergraduate college. Ohio University transcripts will be automatically forwarded when your application materials reach the Graduate College. However, as this can take several weeks, enclosing a copy of your transcript or final DARS will expedite the application process.
- Transcripts from U.S. and Canadian institutions must be received in envelopes sealed by the issuing institution. Transcripts that have been opened, photocopied or marked as unofficial will not be accepted as official. If the institution will not provide sealed copies directly to you, request that transcripts be mailed directly to the Graduate College, Ohio University, Research and Technology Building, Room 220 Athens, OH 45701.
- Transcripts from non-U.S. institutions must be official or registrar-certified, in envelopes sealed by the issuing institution if possible. If original documents are not in English, also provide an official certified copy of all documents in English. The transcript must bear the seal and original signature of the school and school official and clearly show the name and address of the institution, the date you entered and left the institution, the date any degree was earned, all courses taken and grades received, and the system of grading used indicating the highest mark and the lowest passing mark. Summary documents listing only classes passed are not accepted. The transcript/mark sheets must show all course attempts with grades earned. If the transcript/mark sheet does not name the degree and date earned, an official or registrar-certified copy of the diploma or graduation certificate that indicates the degree and date awarded must also be provided, with a certified English translation if the original is not in English.
- Ohio University transcripts will be obtained by the Graduate College on your behalf.
- Additional materials will be required during the application process and in the essay outline if you meet any one or more of the following criteria:
- are applying to the Advanced Standing Program
- are an international student
- have a documented disability
- have committed a felony
- The Social Work Program begins reviewing applications upon completion. Therefore, the earlier your application is complete, the better chance you have of receiving full consideration for program admission. It may take up to a month after the receipt of an application packet for Ohio University transcripts to be forwarded to the program. Determination may take up to four additional weeks, depending upon the time of year and the number of applications being reviewed at the time. Delays may occur if all information is not included in the application, particularly if applicants fail to provide an accurate email address.
Graduate Forms and Policies
- Outline for the Personal Qualifications and Interest Essay 2017 (DOCX)
- Application for graduate assistantship form (DOCX)
- Professional expectations of student behavior form (DOCX)
- Petition for exceptional consideration for an applicant with a GPA below 3.0 (DOCX)
- Independent study form (DOCX)
- Letter of Reference (PDF)