Skip to: Main Content Search Main Navigation Audience Navigation

Future Students


CHSP Student Services

The Student Services Office in the College of Health Sciences and Professions has many resources to help you. You can visit the office either in person or online to change your major or academic adviser, for inistance.

CHSP Student Services

W370 Grover Center

Athens, OH 45701



OU Student Services

Ohio University has online resources to help guide you through the application process. Here you can find out about regional campuses, online courses, enrollment requirements, housing and much more.


Academic Programs

Ohio University's Communication Sciences and Disorders program offers undergraduate and graduate degrees for students who seek a career in the growing health care field. Click on a program link below to get more details.


Bachelor of Science in CSD (BSCSD)


Minor in CSD


Honors Tutorial Program


Teaching English as a Second Language


Speech Language Pathology (MA)


Ohio Master’s Network Initiative in Education OMNIE) 


Doctor of Clinical Audiology (Au.D)


Doctor of Philosophy in Hearing Science (Ph.D.)


Doctor of Philosophy in Speech-Language Science (Ph.D.)



Frequently Asked Advising Questions
The following information is designed to help you obtain answers to common questions that students ask advisors. Many of these answers can also be found in your OU Undergraduate Catalog. Please make sure that you have a copy or you can access it online. If you have questions or concerns that cannot be answered through this website or at CSD group advising, please see your assigned advisor.


1. How do I know if I will graduate on time?

This is a difficult question and often it is hard to provide an exact answer. You will need 192 hours to graduate. Count the credit hours for ALL of the courses that you will need for graduation. Remember to include all general education classes (Tier I & II) and CSD core & related courses. Assuming a typical load of 16 hours per quarter, divide the total credits hours you need to graduate by 16. The resulting number will be the number of quarters you need to accomplish those hours. For example, a student at the beginning of the senior year may need 55 hours in order to graduate by end of spring quarter of the same academic year. This student will need 3.4 quarters to finish all of the hours (55 divided by 16). This is more than 3 quarters, so the student may wish to take heavier loads each quarter. Or, this student may have to take a class over the summer. When figuring out if you will graduate "on time," remember to also include summers-if you think you might stay and take classes over the summer. Also remember that there may be some unknown and unavoidable factors, such as class time conflicts.


2. I am concerned about my GPA. What do I need to get into graduate school?

Each academic program has its own criteria for admission. The criteria may vary, depending on whether you are applying for speech-language pathology or audiology. In general, most graduate programs like to see a GPA in the major of 3.4 or higher, while requiring a minimum of 3.0 to review the application. The review committee will evaluate a student's overall GPA as well as their GPA within their major and/or minor. Students that perform well in core courses such as science, mathematics, and the humanities are very attractive to communication sciences/disorders admission review committees.


3. If I get some better grades, how much will my GPA go up?

To figure this out, you must know how GPA is calculated. In addition, the answer depends largely on how many total attempted hours you have accumulated. Generally speaking, the more hours you have accumulated, the less impact a good grade will have on your GPA. This means that, once you have a lot of attempted hours accumulated, it is difficult to bring up a low GPA. The procedure for calculating GPA is fully explained in the undergraduate catalog. Also, the university has an online GPA calculator. From the OU home page, just type in "GPA calculator" in the search box.


4. I don't know where or how to apply to graduate school. What do I do and how do I know if it's a good program?

In two or three class sessions in 341 (junior practicum), the graduate school process is addressed (how to find a school, what to look for in a school, etc). You also discuss letters of recommendation, resumes and letters of intent in CSD 341. In 341, you will also obtain some information about other options for individuals with a BS in Communication disorders who are not looking to go to graduate school. In 441 (senior practicum), you will discuss graduate level skills needed to be successful. This information may also be discussed at NSSLHA meetings. Here are a few good web sites for you: ASHA ( and Council on Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (


5. What CSD courses are being offered and are they open?

Please see the CSD website for projected course offerings (under "Information for Students"). Use the "course offerings" link from the OU home page to see whether courses are open or full.


6. Can I retake any course to get a better grade? What will happen if I try to retake a course?

According to university policy, a course can be re-taken to affect the student's GPA. Retaking the course removes the hours and the effect of the earlier grades from the calculation of the GPA. However, all grades appear on the permanent record (transcript). The last grade earned is the one used to calculate GPA, even if it is lower than the earlier grade, and only the last instance's credit hours are accepted toward any requirements for graduation. See your catalog. As a rule, a course designed as a prerequisite cannot be retaken to affect GPA after completion of higher-level coursework in the same subject area. For example, if a student does poorly in CSD 213 (prerequisite for 253), then takes 253, they cannot retake 213 at some point later in time to replace their grade in that class. It's important that students know about this because it may affect their graduation. Sometimes students are unsure whether they should re-take a class, or not. A common question is: Is it going to be worth it? The answer largely depends on a student's particular situation. First, you must consider GPA (see question 3, above). Second, only re-take a class if you honestly believe that you can do much better. Your second grade will stick, even if it is lower. Third, consider how much time you have in your program, given your desired graduation date.


7. I don't think my GPA will be good enough for graduate school in communication sciences and disorders. What are some alternate careers and options?

You will likely want to speak with your advisor about this, but some students decide upon careers in special education, general education, early childhood, ESL (English as a Second Language), educational aid, or deaf education. In general, students interested in CSD are interested in people, team work, human welfare, community service, teaching, explaining, and helping. They also tend to be creative and have an interest in self-expression and art appreciation. There are several occupations that welcome students with such values, interests, and skills (e.g., dietitian, social worker, drama coach, editor/copy writer, administrator, educator, nurse, sales, pharmacist, food and drug inspector, and several others).


8. I'm thinking about adding a minor. What do you suggest and what is the value of having a minor?

Many CSD students have a psychology minor. Students should look up the requirements in the undergraduate catalog. Here are some that our majors might be interested in: Psychology, Foreign Language, Linguistics, Communication Studies. There are also certificates in gerontology and health policy. Refer to UG catalog for information on minors. Having a minor in a discipline will not allow you to have any type of professional job/career in that area. However, it is often desirable in order to make your undergraduate program more distinctive, unique, and focused.


9. How do I know if courses in other departments (e.g., psychology, linguistics) will be offered during a particular quarter?

Your CSD advisor does not have this information. Please contact that department or school to learn about their projected course offerings.


10. Will sign language fulfill my foreign language requirement?

Also, I took a lot of Spanish in high school-can I test out of taking 2 quarters of a non-English spoken language? You need to take one course in sign language (385A). In addition to this, you need to take two (2) quarters of a non-English spoken language (e.g., Spanish, Italian, French, etc.). You may enroll for a course at any level (assuming you have necessary prerequisites) and for any language. You may take two different languages, if you like (e.g, one quarter of Spanish and one quarter of Italian). You may NOT test out of this requirement. You do NOT have to take the two courses two quarters in a row.


11. There are some academic policies, such as pass/fail option, that I don't understand. Can I take any class pass/fail?

All academic policies are clearly explained in the undergraduate catalog. Please see your undergraduate catalog before asking your advisor.


12. Do you know about scholarships?

Please refer to the website: A student fills out an application once per year to be eligible for all scholarships.


13. I'm a transfer student and I have some hours that I think will transfer. Can you tell me if they did or not?

All procedures regarding transfer credit is handled in the CHHS Student Services office (third floor, Grover). There is also information about this in your undergraduate catalog.


14. Is there any particular sequence in which I should be taking my courses?

In general, you should be taking 100-level courses during your freshman year, 200-level courses in your sophomore year, 300-level courses in your junior year, and 400-level courses in your senior year. Some sequences are determined by prerequisites (e.g., take 213, then 253). Do not wait until your senior year to take freshman-level courses, such as PSC105L or COMS 103. Doing so may result in a course time conflict that will require you to seek a course from another university or to take a class over the summer.


15. I'm confused about which catalog year I should be following. Which one should I be on?

All incoming freshman will follow the newest guidelines. You follow the curriculum requirements in the catalog that was in press the year you entered the university or when you first took a class at OU .You may, however, decide to go by the newest guidelines. In this case, you inform Student Services (third floor, Grover). You can "move up" in catalog, but not back. Once you make the decision, you can't change it. If you are a transfer students from an OU regional campus, follow the requirements in the catalog that was in press the year you entered the university or when you took your first class at OU. Transfer students from a different college or university follow the newest guidelines.

16.  I took CSD/CSD 385 instead of 385A.  What should I do?

CSD students who took the non-major section of American Sign Language (CSD 385 or CSD 385) prior to declaring a major in our CSD/CSD or after they became a major in CSD/CSD must take action to in order for this course to count toward degree requirements.

The DARS cannot automatically give you credit for taking the non-major section of American Sign Language (ASL). If you have taken an ASL class and are not sure if you have received credit check your DARS. The ASL requirement is # 12 under the College Requirement section.

To get this corrected on your DARS and to receive credit towards your degree requirements you must to complete a CHSP DARS Adjustment Petition form, which is available from the College of Health Sciences and Professions Office of Student Services, located at the top of the stairs (3rd floor Grover Center)