- BSN from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of a 3.2 on a 4.0 scale for unconditional admission
- Clean FBI/BCI background checks
- Written professional goals statement in APA sixth edition style
- Three letters of reference; at least one must be an RN/APRN and at least one must be at the master's or doctoral level of preparation
- Two years professional experience working as an RN in the last five years
MSN students must be a resident of one of the following states and hold a valid, unrestricted RN license in the state of residence:
- West Virginia
- An admission interview with faculty is required
Master of Science in Nursing program applicants should meet the following criteria and submit the materials below.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a registered nurse (RN) with a currently active U.S. RN license.
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) in the BSN or equivalent bachelor’s degree program of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale for unconditional admission.
- If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.2 on a 4.00 scale, the applicant must complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- Have documented completion of introductory coursework in management, statistics, and research.
Your application must include:
- A transcript from each institution you have attended, regardless of whether or not a degree was earned. If you have taken classes at Ohio University, you need to request a transcript for that work.
- A resume detailing your professional experience.
- A statement of purpose outlining your educational background, interest and goals, and ways you think this degree can foster and help you implement your plans.
- Three letters of recommendation.
The Ohio University Graduate College manages the application process for all MSN tracks and format options (online or blended). Go to
to begin your application. The specializations are identified in the following way on the application:
Blended format tracks:
- MS1213 – Nurse Educator
- MS1214 – Family Nurse Practitioner
- MS1219 – Nurse Educator/FNP Dual
For additional information on the Blended format MSN tracks, please email
Online format tracks:
- MS1224 – Family Nurse Practitioner
- MS1225 – Nurse Educator
- MS1229 – Nurse Educator/FNP Dual
For additional information on the Online format MSN tracks, please
Admission to the MSN program is competitive. As part of the application process, you will be required to complete a brief interview with the admission committee using Adobe Connect. The interview helps the committee determine whether you will be a good fit for the program. This also is an opportunity for you to see if the program meets your expectations and career goals.