· PhD, Public Health Studies, Saint Louis University, 2016
· MPH, Behavioral Science and Health Education, Saint Louis University, 2011
· BS, Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas, 2007
· Community-based participatory research and qualitative research methods
· Health inequities in outcomes related to cancer, women's health, mental health and diabetes
· Rural health and access to care
· HLTH 6790: MPH Seminar
· HLTH 6140: Rural Health Disparities
· HLTH 6100: Evaluation and Quality Improvement in Health Care
· HLTH 6050: Intervention Design and Implementation in Rural Public Health
· HLTH 6001 (formerly HLTH 6000): Assessment and Program Planning in Rural Public Health
· HLTH 4200: Program Evaluation in Community Health
· HLTH 4100: Program Planning and Implementation in Community Health
· HLTH 2700: Family and Consumer Health
· Cronin C, Schuller K, Nicks S, Morrone M. Rural Appalachia: Contextualizing Gaps and Progress in Reducing Health Disparities. (under review). Journal of Appalachian Health. Sept 2019.
· Nicks S, Schuller K, Cronin C, Morrone M. Similar Impacts, Different Constraints: Local Influences on Improving Access to Care in Rural Ohio. (under review). Journal of Rural Health. Sept 2019.
· Saeed O, Schuller K, Nicks S. Consideration of Peripheral Artery Disease as an Ambulatory Care Sensitive Condition: Examining Incidence in U.S. Emergency Departments. (under review). Preventive Medicine. Aug 2019.
· Schuller K, Cronin C, Nicks S, Jing X, Kingori C, Morrone M. Development and application of a rubric to compare strategies for improving access to health care in rural communities in the United States. Evaluation and Program Planning. 2019. 74: 61-68.
· Nicks S, Wray R, Peavler O, Jackson S, McClure S, Enard K, Schwartz T. Examining peer support and survivorship for African American women with breast cancer.
Psycho-oncology.2019 Feb;28(2):358-364. doi: 10.1002/pon.4949. Epub 2018 Dec 11.
· Nicks S, Weaver N, Jupka K, Tompkins R, Recktenwald A, Elkana M. Utilizing Key Informant Interviews to Inform Program Implementation. In Sage Research Methods Cases Part 2. 2017 March. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781526421067.
· Weaver N, Weaver T, Nicks S, Jupka K, Sallee H, Jacobsen H, Henley W, Jaques M. Developing Tailored Positive Parenting Messages for a Clinic-Based Communication Program. Child: Care, Health & Development. 2017 Mar; 43(2): 289-297. doi: 10.1111/cch.12418. Epub 2016 Oct 25.
· Nicks S, Weaver N, Recktenwald A, Jupka K, Elkana M, Tompkins R. Translating an evidence-based injury prevention program for implementation in a home visiting setting. Health Promotion Practice. 2016 July. 17(4): 578-85. doi: 10.1177/1524839915622196.
Externally funded projects
· Ohio rural health improvement process. Ohio Department of Health. Role: Co-Investigator. Total Costs: $123,000, 07/01/19 – 06/30/21.
· Diabetes Treatment through an Intensive Lifestyle Change Program, Delivered Online. Wellstart Health, Inc. Role: Co-Investigator. Total Costs: $83,000, 01/01/19 – 12/31/19.
· Ohio rural health improvement process. Ohio Department of Health. Role: Co-Investigator. Total Costs: $108,000, 04/01/18 – 06/30/19.
· Perry County health care access feasibility study. Buckeye Hills‐Hocking Valley Regional Development District. Role: Co-Investigator. Total Costs: $50,000, 05/01/17 – 05/01/18.
· Examining mechanisms of peer support and effects on survivorship outcomes for African American women with breast cancer. Saint Louis University College for Public Health & Social Justice Dissertation Research Fund. Role: Principal Investigator. Doctoral Advisor: Ricardo Wray, PhD. Total costs: $2500, 12/01/14 – 06/30/15.
Internally funded projects
· Comparing the psychosocial needs of rural and urban breast cancer survivors. Department of Social and Public Health Interdisciplinary Research Award. College of Health Sciences and Professions. Ohio University. Role: Principal Investigator. Total Costs: $2000, 04/23/19 – 04/22/20.
· Master of Public Health Incubator Program. Dean’s Challenge for Innovation. College of Health Sciences and Professions. Ohio University. Role: Principal Investigator. Total
Costs: $20,000, 07/15/18 – 6/30/19
· Faculty Co-Advisor, Health Professions Advisory Board, Minority Association of Pre-Medical (Health) Students, Ohio University, Athens, OH, 2017-present
· Diversity & Inclusion Committee, 2018-present
· Interdisciplinary Research Committee, 2017-present
· Advisory Board Member, Cancer Support Community Central Ohio, Columbus, OH, 2019-present
· Board Member, Athens Front Porch Project, Athens, OH, 2017-present
· Program Co-Chair, Community Health Planning and Policy Development Section, American Public Health Association, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020