Professions Aligned Toward Health Sciences and Human Services Academy
PATHS Academy has been cancelled for Summer 2020 due to COVID-19. We will begin accepting applications for Summer 2021 in January!
Are you interested in pursuing a career in healthcare? A nurse or physician assistant? Speech pathologist or physical therapist? Learn what a career in health sciences would be like!
Each summer the Ohio University College of Health Sciences and Professions (CHSP) and Columbus State Community College (CSCC) host PATHS2 Academy, a three-day camp designed for rising 10th-12th grade students in Central Ohio to explore healthcare careers. There is no cost to attend.
PATHS2 Academy offers an integrated curriculum that exposes students to methods and skills of a variety of health professions, including, but not limited to: nursing, athletic training, physical therapy, pharmacy, communication science disorders and nutrition.
Students will get to use actual labs and training resources, including the Columbus State cadaver lab, where students will have direct contact with real human systems and handle actual human organs, and the Ohio University College of Health Science and Professions human-patient simulators, where our students learn how to respond to actual patient crises.
Students enrolled in PATHS2 Academy can expect to:
- Understand career and academic pathways throughout the healthcare sector
- Apply collaborative critical thinking to complete a case study
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of how the body works via patient simulators
- Practice real world clinical skills in a variety of simulated socio-economic, cultural and geographic environments
Planned Activities and Exercises
Below is a sampling of the activities and exercises we have scheduled in previous years. We draw our faculty and staff from the Ohio University College of Health Sciences and Professions, Columbus State Community College, University of Findlay School of Pharmacy, as well as local healthcare professionals and field experts.
- Perform phlebotomies and intubations
- Learn about human anatomy through interaction with a human cadaver
- Demonstrate and apply their knowledge with patient simulations of how the body works
- Scrub in for surgery
- Perform diagnostic imaging and testing
- Learn heart and lung sounds using simulated patients
- Explore the importance of diet, lifestyle and exercise to wellness
- Review EKGs, identify infections and care for wounds
- Complete the online application. Application for Summer 2021 will be available in January!
- Complete the one-page essay (included in the application).
- One teacher recommendation must be submitted via email by March 15. (Recommendation request is automatically generated based on application data.)
The number of students admitted to each session will be limited to 50 students. Students who are the first in their family to attend college and who are from underrepresented minority populations are highly encouraged to apply.
Sr. Director Central Ohio Programs & Partnerships
Partnership between Ohio University College of Health Sciences and Professions and Columbus State Community College.