LPN to RN Associate of Science Degree in Nursing (ADN)
ADVANCED PLACEMENT FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES
ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE, NURSING
The advanced placement for licensed practical nurses in the Associate of Applied Science, Nursing program at OHIO Chillicothe holds an established reputation for graduating well prepared, high quality nurses. The program is approved by the Ohio Board of Nursing, The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Ohio Board of Regents, and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. Additional Associate Degree Nursing Information can be found (here).
Upon completion of the associate degree, the graduate is prepared to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) which leads to licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN). Graduates of the associate degree program may choose to enter the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (RN to BSN) program, which is offered online through the School of Nursing in Athens.
ADVANCED PLACEMENT FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES
All applicants (including LPN's) must meet the same admission requirements, as found in the Associate Degree Nursing program.
LPN's can receive credit for the first two semesters of nursing by successfully graduating from an approved school of practical nursing and meeting licensure requirements. In addition, the LPN must successfully complete, with a grade of (C) or better, a five credit-hour transition course and three credit-hour bridge course designed to prepare the LPN to enter the second year of the Associate Degree Nursing program. These courses must be completed no sooner than one year prior to admission to the second year of the nursing program. Also, in order to begin the second year nursing classes, the LPN must complete the following support courses; ENG 1510, Math 1200 or Statistics (PSY 1110), BIOS 1300, BIOS 1310, CHEM 1210 and PSY 1010 or transfer acceptable credit to OHIO.
ALL of the following requirements must be satisfied and in the Nursing Office before 5:00 p.m. January 2nd of the year in which you want your file to be reviewed (considered) by the selection committee. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that their file is complete.
Documents required in the Selection File:
- Submit an application to OHIO and indicate which campus you want to attend. Additionally, submit the nursing application available from the campus Nursing Office. Admission to OHIO is required to be considered for the Associate Degree Nursing program.
- Complete a nursing application (available here) or from the Nursing office.
- Submit official transcripts (in sealed envelopes) from all previous schools attended, including: college, vocational/technical Programs, and high school/GED. The student must be a graduate of high school or hold certificate of high school equivalency (GED).
- Submit report of an FBI and BCI background check – guidelines on how to obtain a background check are provided by the School of Nursing office.
- An established minimum college grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale is required.
- Required support courses MUST be completed (ENG 1510, MATH 1200 or Statistics
- (PSY 1110), BIOS 1300, BIOS 1310, CHEM 1210, and PSY 1010).
- New students will need to take the ACCUPLACER and ALEKS examinations when they apply to Ohio University Chillicothe. Contact the testing center for additional information about exam requirements. (Transfer Students: if you are entering with a math and English equivalency you do not need to take the ACCUPLACER.)
- Admission Assessment HESI Exam (A2): must be taken before the application deadline, receiving a score of a 75% or better cumulatively and a 75% or better on the English and Math sections. You are also required to take the science portion of this exam (not physics). Information regarding this exam is provided by the School of Nursing Office.
Please Note: Admission to the Associate Degree Nursing program is by a selective process. Admission to OHIO does not guarantee admission to the nursing program. The selection process for the nursing program at the Chillicothe, Southern, and Zanesville Campus are separate. Therefore, admission into the OHIO Chillicothe Associate Degree Nursing program does not guarantee admission into the Zanesville or Southern programs, or vice versa.
Students are responsible for submitting all required information by the deadline and incomplete files will not be reviewed during selections.
COURSE OF STUDY
We encourage you to begin taking support courses at OHIO as soon as possible. All courses taken in the nursing curriculum must be completed with a grade of (C) or above in order to have your file reviewed for selections and to remain in the program once selected. Support courses must be taken before or during the semester in which they fall in the curriculum map shown below.
SCHOOL OF NURSING FACILITIES
The OHIO Chillicothe School of Nursing is housed in Bennett Hall. The nursing program utilizes classrooms in Bennett Hall for lectures and testing. Bennett Hall houses one simulation suite and two Nursing Skills Labs which includes (10) hospital beds, (9) low fidelity mannequins, (2) high fidelity mannequins, and (1) high fidelity pediatric mannequin. Some of our lab equipment includes: an electronic medication dispensing system, a Computerized Nursing Workstation on Wheels, ECG monitor, automated vital sign machines, working suction equipment, and a variety of supplies for nursing skills practice & check-off sessions, which promotes student learning and course success.
The Quinn Library located in the Stevenson Center carries all required nursing materials; as well as, providing a quiet study section, several enclosed areas for group meetings, a comfortable seating area with a large number of computers for student access/research, a Student Success center for general tutoring, and a cafe' with a varied menu to meet the needs of all students.
Bennett Hall, located at the center of the Chillicothe Campus, is home to the nursing program.
Tuition costs are subject to change without notice at the discretion of OHIO. Please refer to a schedule of classes for further tuition information or to the OHIO Chillicothe website.
- Tuition – click (here) for details.
- Books and supplies: Books are purchased for each semester, with your first semester being the largest expense of approximately $900.00.
- Criminal background checks (BCI&I and FBI): $60.00 to start the program and $60.00 prior to graduation for the Ohio Board of Nursing.
- Course Fees: Vary per Semester.
- Lab Kit: Approximately $100.00.
- Uniforms: Average- $70 (one time cost).
- Course Fees: (Lab Fees and Achievement Tests) – $180 per clinical course.
- Liability Insurance: $40 per year.
- Graduation – The second year of the program, expenses for graduation, licensure, NCLEX-RN exam, pinning, etc. will occur. You will need to plan ahead for these expenses. Expenses at this time can reach around $600.
- Health documents – vary depending on student's health insurance coverage and location. (1. Physical Examination 2. Immunizations 3. Laboratory Tests)
Students may be eligible for varying financial aid resources. These include:
- Federal Grants and Loans
- Ohio University Scholarships
- State Grants and Loans
To begin the process, you should apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.gov as soon as possible. For Ohio University Chillicothe, use the University Federal School Code: 003100 and 003102.
For more information about the financial aid process, contact our Financial Aid Office at (740) 774-7289 or toll free at (877) GO-2-OUCH.
Ohio University believes that, as an educated person, you need certain intellectual skills in order to participate effectively in society. These include: the ability to communicate through the written word, the ability to use quantitative or symbolic reasoning, and broad knowledge of the major fields of learning. Therefore, students must take general education courses to complete a degree.
JANUARY 2nd IS THE APPLICATION DEADLINE!
Stop by the Nursing Office at OHIO Chillicothe to make sure your Advanced Placement for LPN Nursing Program application file is complete today!
- Please click (here) for LPN Advanced Placement Application Packet in .PDF format.
- Please click (here) for LPN Advanced Placement Curriculum in .PDF format.
- Please click (here) for the Student Handbook in .PDF format.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Ohio University Chillicothe
School of Nursing