EMERGENCY PROCEDURES QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
In general, NOTIFY emergency personnel as soon as possible by dialing 911 from a campus phone or from a cell phone. Once police or emergency personnel arrive they are in charge.
Always NOTIFY the Information Desk (1st Floor BENN) by dialing 0 (zero) on a campus phone or by calling 740.774.7200 (or 740.703.5461 after 5:00 pm.), as they will notify the Dean’s Office or Facilities Management/Safety Office.
- Accident/Injury: Relay exact location and type of emergency to 911 and the Information Office. AEDs (automated external defibrillator) are located throughout campus. Call a family member or friend if requested by the injured person. Record pertinent information about the incident and give to an OHIO Chillicothe staff member at the scene.
- Active Shooter: Call 911. Direct students and faculty/staff away from area. Notify the Information Office. Give a description of the suspect to police when they arrive. If the intruder begins to use a weapon, use your judgment to get out or take cover and urge others to do so. Engage physically only if no other options exist.
- Bomb Threat: Write down what the caller says and notes about background noise (clues to caller’s location). Contact the Information Office or dial 0 (zero) on a campus phone. Wait for further instruction from OHIO Chillicothe Administration or the Police Department. Avoid using cell phones as signal may detonate explosive device; urge others not to use cell phones.
- Explosive Device: Report a suspicious package to the Information Desk or the Dean’s Office. Do NOT touch or remove package. Calmly direct students and faculty/staff away from the area. Do not use cell phones as signal may detonate explosive device; urge others not to use cell phones.
- Chemical/Toxic: Observe the general threat/spill and/or condition of victim. Call 911 if a victim is in need of immediate medical assistance. Call/notify the Information Desk. Calmly direct students and faculty/staff away from the area. Report pertinent information about the incident to an OHIO Chillicothe staff member at the scene who will call Central Ohio Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222, if necessary.
- Fire: Activate fire alarm to immediately alert Fire Department and evacuate building, making sure restrooms are clear. If you hear the alarm while in a closed room, feel the door before you open it. If hot, leave it closed and exit through an alternate path (window).
- Power Outage: The Facilities Management/Safety Office will assess situation/duration and inform the Dean of the outage status. Provided that there is adequate light, keep students in classrooms and buildings until the situation is assessed. Emergency lights in halls and stairways will come on and provide lighting for at least an hour.
- Tornadoes: Chillicothe has an emergency siren system for tornado warnings where a tornado has been sighted or conditions currently exist for a tornado to form or is approaching our quadrant of the county. When siren is heard, move away from windows to safe areas in interior rooms, hallways, stairwells, or bathrooms. As the siren cannot be heard in all areas of campus, the Dean’s Office or Facilities Management/Safety Office will send out staff to alert others and urge them into safe areas. Remain in a designated safe area until instructed to leave.
- Parking Lots: North and South lots are equipped with emergency ‘blue light’ telephone stations and cameras. The Police Department is called by activating the ‘blue light’ telephone.
Please see the Emergency Procedures Manual to learn more about emergency preparedness. Please read these action steps thoroughly before an emergency occurs and keep copies available for immediate reference.
For emergencies that result in campus delays or cancelations, please check our cancelations page. Be sure to register your emergency contact information.
If the emergency is a critical incident, or becomes a critical incident, you will find information through some or all of the following, depending on the incident and the conditions at the time:
- Ohio Alert!
- Phone calls (to numbers provided)
- Text Message (to numbers provided)
- OHIO Catmail
- Social Media
- Indoor Public Address System
- Non-tech methods: on-the-ground teams, bullhorns, posted alerts, etc.
INCIDENT REPORT FORMS
Should an incident occur on campus, please use the appropriate Incident Form.
The Dean or Coordinator of Marketing & Communications will serve as the only institutional spokesperson. Faculty and Staff are ask to not describe events on social media.
In case of a life threatening emergency, an individual should CALL 911, proceed to a safe place when applicable, and NOTIFY the Information Office.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Director of Facilities Management