Academic Policies and Procedures

Previous Section  Table of Contents  Next Section

Ohio University Front Door -Undergraduate Catalogs- Graduate Catalogs

Precollege Orientation

As an incoming first-year or transfer student at Ohio University, you will participate in Precollege Orientation. You will meet with faculty, administrators, and other students who will acquaint you with University policies, academic requirements, and student services, as well as help you register for your first quarter classes. Precollege Orientation for fall quarter first-year students is held in one-and-a-half-day sessions during the summer. Transfer students attend ofe of two one-day sessions in mid-summer. A one-day session is held in September for both transfer and first-year students who cannot attend during the summer. Your parents or spouse are also encouraged to attend. Information will be mailed to you in early May.

If you are entering the University in a quarter other than fall, an orientation and registration program will be conducted before the beginning of that quarter. Information will be sent to you from University College.

Further information about Precollege Orientation is available from University College, Chubb Hall 140, telephone 740-593-1951 or by visiting

Registration Information


As noted above, if you are an incoming freshman or transfer student, you will receive assistance with class preregistration along with other information during Precollege Orientation.

If you are a current or re-enrolling student at Ohio University, you should follow procedures for using either the Touch-Tone Registration and Information Processing System (TRIPS) or the Web registration system. Both procedures appear in the Schedule of Classes, available in the registrar's office approximately two weeks before the beginning of preregistration each quarter.

Late Registration

Registration is not permitted after the first 15 calendar days of the quarter (in the case of some individual classes, after the first day). All registration procedures should be completed by the 15th calendar day of the quarter.

In cases where late registration is necessary, you will be charged a retroactive registration correction fee beginning with the third calendar week of each quarter unless late changes are judged by the registrar as being delayed by the University. The fees are: third week, $40; fourth week, $60; fifth week, $80; and sixth week, $100.

Identification Card

When you register, you will be given information about obtaining an identification card, issued by Communication Network Services (CNS), located in HDL Center room 154. This card, which is validated by your registration, gives you access to campus services including the meal plan, athletic events, library privileges, and the Student Health Service.

The card is issued free of charge according to these guidelines:

  1. If you are a new student, you are issued a card free of charge.

  2. If you are a re-enrolling student returning after one year or more, your old card will be valid upon registration. If you no longer have your old card, you will be issued a new card free of charge.

  3. If your name or Social Security number has changed, you will be issued a new card free of charge provided you return your old card when the new one is issued.

CNS charges a card replacement fee under these circumstances:

a. You will be charged $10 to replace a card that is lost, stolen, or damaged within one year of your last quarter of enrollment. (A $5 refund will be issued if you find your old card and return it to CNS, located in the HDL Center 154, during the same quarter in which it was replaced.)

b. If your name or Social Security number has changed, you will be charged $10 for a new card only if you do not return the old card. If you return the old card when the new one is issued, you will not be charged.

Updating Personal Information

You must report any changes in your personal data to the registrar services windows, 1st floor, Chubb Hall. Requests for changes in name, social security number, or birthdate must be accompanied by documentation verifying the correct information as required by the registrar's ofice.

You must report address changes to the University. You may do so at most student services offices, including your dean's office and the registrar's office. You may make a change of address by using the form available via the World Wide Web at . Return the completed form to the registrar services windows in Chubb Hall or send information via e-mail to: When e-mailing your address change, please include your Personal Identifiction Number (PID) and full name.

You are responsible for any University communication sent to you at your Oak e-mail or at the adderss on file with the registrar.

Enrollment Information

All course credit earned at Ohio University is designated in quarter hours. Normally a quarter hour is the equivalent of one lecture or two laboratory periods a week throughout the quarter.

Student Standing (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior)

Your student standing--or year in college--is determined by your total number of quarter hours earned. Freshmen have completed 0 to 44.9 hours; sophomores, 45 to 89.9; juniors, 90 to 134.9; and seniors, 135 and over.

Course Load

As an undergraduate student, you will usually carry a course load of 16-20 quarter hours, even if you are on academic probation. For tuition purposes, a course load of 11-20 quarter hours is assessed full-time fees by the University. If you receive financial aid or veterans benefits, or are a student athlete, you must carry a minimum of 12 quarter hours to be considered eligible. If you receive a scholarship you must carry 12-16 quarter hours, depending on scholarship criteria. Note that completing 16 hours per quarter for three quarters per year for four years makes a total of 192 quarter hours--the minimum total required for a bachelor's degree from Ohio University.

If you schedule fewer than 11 credit hours, you will be assessed part-time fees for the quarter. If you register for more than 20 hours, you will be charged an additional fee for each hour over 20. TRIPS and Web registration will not allow you to register for a course which causes the total hours to exceed the maximum. You must receive permission from your college or regional campus student services office to register for more than 20 hours in a quarter. If you are granted permission to exceed the maximum hours you will receive a Permission to Exceed Maximum Credit Hours form that should be returned to one of the registrar services window, 1st floor, Chubb Hall.

Veterans Benefits

If you are an undergraduate planning to receive Veterans Education Assistance, you must register for at least 12 quarter hours for full benefits to be awarded. For more information about veterans benefits, contact the Veterans Coordinator, registrar staff offices, 1st floor, Chubb Hall 108, 740-593-4186.

Student Athletes--Maintaining Eligibility

After your first academic year in residence or after one season of eligibility in a sport, your eligibility to participate in aathletics is based on (1) satisfactory completion of an accumulative total of quarter hours equivalent to an average of at least 12 hours per term of enrollment, or (2) satisfactory completion of 36 quarter hours in the preceding three quarters, plus summer quarter, with no more than 9 summer session hours included. Freshmen and sophomores must have a minimum accumulative g.p.a. of 1.8, while juniors and seniors must have a minimum accumulative g.p.a. of 2.0 to be eligible to compete.

As an athlete, you must declare a major by the beginning of your third year. You must be registered for at least 12 hours to practice or compete and not drop below that level.

In addition, a specific percentage of your degree program requirements must be completed. By the beginning of your third year of enrollment, you must have completed at least 25 percent of your specific degree program credits; by the beginning of your fourth year, 50 percent; and by the beginning of your fifth year, 75 percent. This provision also applies if you transfer from a two- or four-year institution, even if you have not completed a year in residence or a season of eligibility at Ohio University.

Declaring a Major

Normally you will declare a major when you apply as a freshman or transfer student by indicating the name and the six-character major code number on the application form. If you are unsure about a major, Ohio University allows you to enroll as an undecided major in University College or many other colleges.

Some programs of study have higher admission requirements than those set by the University in general, and admission to the University does not automatically grant admission into those programs. Consult the college in which the major is offered or the Office of Admissions for further information on limited or selective admissions policies for specific programs.

Changing Your Major or College

If you are classified as undecided and wish to declare a major, or if you would like to change your major, contact the college in which the major is offered to see if you meet the entry requirements.

Sometimes a change in major will necessitate transferring to another college (e.g., from Arts and Sciences to Communication). You then make application for transfer in the student services office of the college to which you would like to be admitted. If you are an Honors Tutorial or University College student, go to your current college before applying to the student services office of the college to which you would like to be admitted. The change must be processed through the student services office of both colleges within the first 15 calendar days of the quarter (the specific date is published in each quarter's Schedule of Classes), or you will remain enrolled in the initial college for that quarter. You must fulfill degree requirements of the college into which you transfer. You may, however, pursue programs in more than one college simultaneously. Consult your college's student services office about double degrees and dual major opportunities.

Changing Your Class Schedule After the Quarter Begins

Note the terminology used in explanations of the deadlines that follow:

Quarter: any quarter, including the 10-week summer quarter

Sub-term: any five week summer session

In the case of flexibly scheduled classes, the deadlines ar pro-rated.

You may add a class, drop a class, or correct your registration using the Touchtone Registration and Information Processing System (TRIPS) or Web Registration before the quarter or sub-term begins. However, adding certain classes after classes begin requires special permission from the instructor, and dropping any class after the 35th calendar day of a term or 17th calendar day of a sub-term is generally prohibited except by petition through your college's student services office. (See "Drops" below.)


You may add a class via TRIPS or via Web registration only during the first 8 calendar days of any quarter or sub-term. However, please note that departments or individual instructors may close registration for their courses prior to the eighth day. After the eighth day of the quarter or sub-term, you may add a class only with instructor permission. For classes requiring the instructor's permission, you will need to obtain a permission slip from the instructor or departmental representative and then return the slip to the office indicated on the slip for final processing. You may add a class for which you have not met the prerequisite only by receiving the instructor's permission to take the class. Others may be added via TRIPS or via Web registration through the eighth calendar day of the quarter or sub-term.


You may use TRIPS or Web registration to drop any class through the 35th calendar day of the quarter or the 17th calendar dary of a sub-term. Dropping a class is generally prohibited after these deadlines, but under very exceptional circumstances you may petition your college in writing to make an exception. Your reason must be substantial. Fear of earning a low grade in the class, for example, is not considered to be an exceptional circumstance.

If you drop a class during the first 15 calendar days of the quarter or 8 calendar days of a sub-term, there will be no record of that class on your academic record. When you drop a class after the 15th calendar day of the quarter (8th calendar day of a sub-term), your instructor will assign either a grade of Withdrawal Passing (WP) or Withdrawal Failing (WF), indicating your academic progress at the time the class was dropped. This grade will appear on your academic record, and subsequent DARS reports, in addition to your official transcript. They do not affect your g.p.a.

If you drop hours through the 15th day of the quarter (8th calendar day of a sub-term), you are entitled to a 100 percent refund of the reduction if the change results in a reduction of registration fees. Changes made after the deadlines will result in no refund. If you are receiving financial aid, a change in enrollment status may result in your having to repay programs from which you received aid. (See "Refund of Fees" for more information.)

After the first 15 calendar days of the quarter (8 calendar days of a sub-term)pass, your schedule becomes official. Your final tuition charges are based on your enrollment as of the deadline. If you withdraw from the University or reduce your courseload after the deadline, you must still pay the full tuition fees and your class(es) will remain on your academic record with WP/WF grade(s). Withdrawal during the first 15 calendar days of a quarter or 8 calendar days of a sub-term results in an 80 percent tuition refund.

Only in extreme instances in which circumstances beyond your control make you unable to have your registration in order by the 15th or 8th day deadlines will the University consider making an exception to this policy. Even then, such decisions are made by a special review panel and require that formal documentation such as a doctor's statement be submitted to the Review Panel. The student services office in your college can help you present an appeal to the review panel.

Cancelling Registration or Withdrawing From the University (Dropping All Classes)

Cancellation Before Classes Have Begun. Cancellation of registration is defined as dropping all classes before the first day of classes. This includes all classes for which you are registered on all (one or more) campuses, but not distance learning courses in the Division of Lifelong Learning, for which students register and pay separately. You may cancel your registration by using TRIPS or Web registration, or you can call or visit the registrar's office or the student services office of your college to obtain a cancellation of registration form, which you then complete and return to the registrar's office. A refund of your registration fees is made according to the schedule in the Refund of Fees section. Cancelling registration for a term does not prevent a student from registering for a future term.

Withdrawal After Classes Have Begun. Withdrawal from the University is defined as dropping all classes on or after the first day of classes and no later than the day before the last day of classes for the quarter or summer sub-term. Note that this means all regular Ohio University classes for which a student is registered for a given term, whether on one campus or more than one. This does not prevent a student from registering for a future term. Withdrawl is not permitted on or after the last day of classes. This may not be done using TRIPS or Web registration. Apply for withdrawal by completing a withdrawal request form obtained from the student services office of your college or regional campus student services office and housing, your withdrawal is processed by the registrar's office, which grants an official withdrawal after determining that all obligations to the University have been met.

Tuition Issues

When changes in a student's registration affect the total registration in a away that changes the amount of tuition, the student will receive the appropriate refund or pay the appropriate forfeiture for the class(es) dropped, according to the deadlines for those classes, and the tuition for the remaining registration will be re-calculated.

Tuition for summer students who schedule a total of 11 or more hours in any combination of summer registration in the full term or the two sub-term will be calculated in the usual way (1-10 hours equal part-time, 11-20 hours equal full-time for undergraduates; 1-9 hours equal part-time, 10-18 hours equal full-time for gradutes). When dropping classes affects the total registration for the summer in a way that changes the basis for tuition, the tuition will be re-calculated for the remaining registration, and the student will receive the appropriate refund or pay the appropriate forfeiture for the class(es) dropped, according to the deadlines for those classes.

Your change in enrollment status may result in your having to repay programs from which you have received financial aid. See the Refund of Fees and Financial Aid sections for further information.

Multiple Consecutive Withdrawals

Two or more consecutive withdrawals can be cause for placement of a registration hold on your record by the registrar or your academic dean. A petition to release this hold would be considered by your academic dean.

Withdrawing for Medical Reasons

In the event of serious physical or mental illness, you may arrange for a medical withdrawal from the university. Your withdrawal will be effective on the date you sought treatment from the Student Health Service for your illness or injury, or the last date you attended classes, depending on your particular circumstances. If you were treated by an outside physician who has recommended a medical withdrawal, that recommendation must be approved by the medical director of the Student Health Service.

To arrange for a medical withdrawal, contact the medical director of the Student Health Service (for physical health problems) or the director of Counseling and Psychological Services (for mental health problems). The director will make a written recommendation to your academic dean for a medical withdrawal.

It is possible to withdraw for medical reasons through the day before the last day of classes for the quarter or the summer subterm. After that, the appropriate director and the dean of your college must agree on the withdrawal.

If you are granted a medical withdrawal, you will receive notification in the mail from the medical director. A refund of fees, if applicable, will be based on the effective date of your withdrawal and will be made according to the schedule in the Refund of Fees section. A medical hold will be placed on your records, and to re-enroll you must request a medical clearance from the appropriate director. Once the clearance is approved, the hold will be released.

Class Attendance Policy

The weight given to class attendance in determining your grade is an academic matter; thus, all instructors are responsible for their own attendance policies. Though your instructor will state specific attendance requirements during the first week of classes each quarter, the University does expect you to attend classes regularly.

Excused Absences

Although instructors' policies govern how excused absences will be handled in their classes, certain absences are considered legitimate by the University. These include illness, death in the immediate family, religious observance, jury duty, and involvement in University-sponsored activities.

If you are returning to class after a legitimate absence, you can expect your instructors' assistance (makeup work, excused absences, change of grade computation) within the limits of their established attendance policies. There are occasions when the size or the nature of the course makes it necessary to limit the number of excused absences or the availability of makeup work, particularly for examinations or such special events as field trips or outside speakers. Such limitations should be explained in the instructor's attendance policy at the beginning of each course. If you are involved in University activities that may conflict with your class schedule, check with your instructor as early as possible to make satisfactory arrangements. You may document reasons for your absence as follows:

If you are participating in an authorized University activity (departmental trip, music or debate activity, ROTC function, or athletic competition), you can obtain notification from the sponsoring office. If you are hospitalized at O'Bleness Memorial Hospital, you are not issued a notification of class absence. However, you may request that your instructor call the Student Health Service to verify your hospitalization. If you receive out-patient care at the Student Health Service, you will not be issued a notification of class absence. However, if you give written permission for the information to be released, you may request that your instructor call for verification that you received outpatient care. It is assumed that, whenever possible, you will visit the health service as an outpatient without missing class.

If you receive medical care from personnel or facilities other than the Student Health Service, you are required to provide verification of the dates you received care.

If your grade has been affected by a legitimate absence or absences that your instructor does not excuse, you may appeal through the normal grade appeal process (first through the instructor, then the department chair or school director, and then the dean of your college). If satisfaction is not achieved through this process, the dean will appoint a faculty committee of five members, including the chair or director of the department or school in question, to consider your case and render a decision. The decision of this committee is not subject to further appeal.

Two-Hour Rule

If you miss the first two contact hours of a class for which you have registered, the instructor has the option of not admitting you to the class. (This policy applies to the first two hours of a class, not to the first two class meetings.) If you miss the first two contact hours, check with your instructor to verify your status in the class. If you have not been admitted, you will need to drop the class through TRIPS or Web registration. (See "Change of Course Schedule.")

Note: If the instructor does not admit you to the class, you still must drop the class from your schedule using TRIPS or Web registration. Otherwise, you will receive an F, an FN (failure never attended), or an FS (failure stopped attending) for the class at the end of the quarter.


You may register to audit classes, which allows you to preview or review courses without receiving a grade or credit hours, but the choice to audit must be made and identified at the time of registration. Changes from audit to credit or from credit to audit must be made during the first 15 calendar days of the quarter (first 8 days of summer sub-term). Audited classes count in calculating tuition, but they do not carry credit or count toward financial aid eligibility. Audited courses will appear on your official transcript but will not affect your g.p.a. or hours earned. Auditing a class is not the same as taking it on a pass/fail basis. (see Pass-Fail Grading Option, p. 15.)

Your instructor may set up specific requirements for auditing the class, and if you do not meet the requirements, you may be removed from the class at your instructor's discretion with a grade of WP or WF. Be sure to discuss your auditing status with your instructor at the first class meeting.

Senior Citizens Sixty Plus Program

Ohio State Law (Section 3345.27 of the Ohio Revised Code--House Bill 147--effective March 30, 1999) permits the qualifying student to attend any state college or university without paying "tuition or matriculation" fees. This program is available for regular classroom undergraduate courses offered on the Athens and regional campuses and only if space is available in the class. Registration will be processed only after priority registration for other students is completed. Qualifying student is defined as "any person who is sixty years of age or older and who has resided in the state for at least one year." Under this provision, the student has two options:

Option A--Non Credit

The qualifying student who wishes to participate in classes but not for credit asks permission of the instructor to sit in on the class. The student should follow the procedures for Option A students below and share this information with the instructor to show student eligibility for the program. The office of the University Registrar will assist anyone who needs help with this.

Option B--For Credit

The Option B procedures are for the qualifying student who wishes to earn credit for the tuition-free courses. The academic load under this arrangement for a given quarter must be less than full time; i.e., less than 11 quarter hours. In addition to being a "qualified student" as described above, the student's family income must be "less that two hundred percent of the federal poverty guideline, as revised annually by the United States secretary of health and human services in accordance with Section 673 of the 'Community Services Block Grant Act,' 95 Stat. 511 (1981) 42 U.S.C.A. 9902, as amended, for a family size equal to the size of the family of the person whose income is being determined." Applications for enrollment under Option B may be obtained at the Registrar Service Windows in Chubb Hall, first floor. Visiting

You must be a registered student in order to attend classes at Ohio University. If you are a full-time student, you also have the privilege of visiting classes for which you haven't specifically registered if you obtain the instructor's permission ahead of time.

Taking Graduate-Level Courses

As an undergraduate student, you are not eligible to take graduate courses for credit unless you are in the Honors Tutorial College or participate in one of the following programs:

Departmental Honors. Students in a recognized departmental honors program may take a maximum of three graduate courses in their major department during their senior year (i.e., after earning 135 or more hours of credit). Hours earned in these courses will count toward total hours required for the undergrduate degree only and the grades will be calculated into the undergraduate g.p.a. Registration in graduate courses requires written permission from the instructor. Participation in this option is at the discretion of the department or school. Students process this special registration by obtaining permission from the departmental honors coordinator and submitting the approval form to the Registrar's Office for processing.

Senior for Graduate Credit. If you are an Ohio University student, or a well qualified senior attending another University and within nine hours of completing all requirements for a bachelor's degree, you may be eligible for graduate study as a senior. You must have an overall g.p.a. of at least 2.5 and obtain written permission from the graduate chair of each department offering the graduate courses and from your college Student Services Office. Permission to take such courses does not grant admission to a graduate degree program. If you are admitted as a senior for graduate credit, you will pay undergraduate fees and will not be eligible for graduate assistant or graduate scholarship support. Generally, no more than two graduate courses may be taken in this way, and graduate courses will not fulfill any undergraduate requirements. The graduate credit becomes part of your graduate record only; it does not affect your undergraduate course requirements, hours earned or g.p.a.

Request this option through the Office of Graduate Student Services, Wilson Hall 304 (College Green) before registering. A $10 application fee is charged, and admission is granted for one quarter only.

Early Admission to a Graduate Program. Based on superior undergraduate performance, you may qualify for early admission to a graduate degree program. You must have an overall g.p.a. of at least 3.5 and must have completed all undergraduate requirements, except the total credit-hour requirements, by the time you enter the graduate degree program. You also must obtain written permission from your department, the department's graduate committee, and the Student Services Office of your undergraduate college. Once admitted, you may enroll in graduate classes for graduate credit. These classes can be used to satisfy both graduate degree requirements and undergraduate total credit hour requirements, but the hours and grades are part of your graduate record only. Apply through the Office of Graduate Student Services before registering. If you qualify, you pay graduate fees only and are eligible for graduate assistant or scholarship support.

Final Examinations

Final examinations for classes are held during a formal examination period at the end of the academic term. You are required to take the examinations according to the schedule published by the registrar's office in the quarterly Schedule of Classes, which is available in print at the Office of Registrar in Chubb Hall, or online at

Each final examination is scheduled for two hours. Final examinations are given in the regularly scheduled classroom unless the instructor is giving a combined sections examination. Instructors will notify students in courses having combined sections examinations of the time and location of the classroom where the examination will be given.

Students will not be required to sit for more than three final examinations in one day. Should a student be scheduled for more than three examinations in one day, the student may seek relief from the instructor with the examination scheduled latest in the day. This process must be initiated and completed by the ninth week of the quarter. The instructor will provide an examination for the student at a mutually agreed upon time during the examination week.

The final examination for departmental honors work must be taken before the opening of the regular examination period. Consult your departmental honors program coordinator for more information.


At the close of a session or upon completion of a class, the instructor reports a final grade indicating the quality of a student's work in the class. The University's Registrar's deadlines for submitting grades each quarter or session must be met. Failure to do so creates problems for students such as loss of employment, scholarships, financial aid, and opportunities for further study. Once grades are submitted to the University Registrar, they are final and cannot be changed unless evidence of an error can be presented or a formal grade appeal process is completed in accordance with Ohio University's official grade appeal policy (see the Faculty Handbook section "Final Examinations and Change of Grade"). Grades cannot be changed by arranging to complete additional work. Grade point values are assigned for each quarter hour of credit completed according to the grading system below.

The basis for determining a student's scholastic standing is the grade-point average (g.p.a.). This average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of quarter hours of credit attempted. For example, if a student earned a C (2.0) and a B (3.0) in each of two five-hour courses, first multiply the number of hours in each course by the grade point value for that grade (5 x 2 = 10 and 5 x 3 = 15) and add the grade points for each course together to find the total number of grade points (25). Then add the number of hours attempted (5 + 5 = 10) and divide the total number of grade points by the total hours attempted (25/10 = 2.5). The student's g.p.a. after completing the two courses would be 2.5. A student's g.p.a. is figured only on credit hours attempted--courses for which you receive letter grades (A-F), FN (failure never attended), or FS (failure stopped attending). FN and FS have the same value as an F. Grades of P (pass) and CR (credit) represent hours earned but are not used to calculate the g.p.a.

I.  Grades Used in G.P.A. Calculation
Letter     Numerical            Description                                     Assigned
Grade      Equivalent                                                           by Faculty
           (Grade Point Value)                                                  Member
A           4.0                 Excellent                                       Yes
A-          3.67                Excellent                                       Yes
B+          3.33                Good                                            Yes
B           3.00                Good                                            Yes
B-          2.67                Good                                            Yes
C+          2.33                Acceptable                                      Yes
C           2.00                Acceptable                                      Yes
C-          1.67                Acceptable                                      Yes
D+          1.33                Passing but Minimally Acceptable                Yes
D           1.00                Passing but Minimally Acceptable                Yes
D-          0.67                Passing but Minimally Acceptable                Yes
F           0.00                Failing                                         Yes
FN          0.00                Failure, Never Attended.                        Yes
                                This grade is given when the student does 
                                not officially drop a class for which he 
                                or officially registered but did not attend.  
                                FN counts as a F in the g.p.a.  As with any 
                                other undergraduate grade in a nonrepeatable 
                                course, the FN may be replaced in the grade 
                                point average by the last grade earned if 
                                the course is retaken.
FS          0.00                Failure, Stopped Attending.                     Yes
                                This grade is given when the student stops
                                attending but does not officially drop a 
                                course for which he or she officially registered 
                                and attended at least once.  It counts as an F 
                                in the g.p.a.  In addition, the last date of 
                                attendance indicated is recorded on the student's 
                                academic record.  Like any other undergraduate 
                                grade in a nonrepeatable course, the FS may be 
                                replaced in the grade point average by the last 
                                grade earned if the course is retaken.
I*          0.00                Administrative Incomplete                       Yes--Inactive
                                Calculated as "F"  Student either did not 
                                attend or stopped attending without officially 
                                withdrawing.  Replaced with FN and FS fall 

II.  Credit Only--Included in Hours Earned but Not Used in G.P.A. Calculation
Letter      Numerical           Description                                     Assigned
Grade       Equivalent                                                          by Faculty
            (Grade Point Value)                                                 Member
CR            N/A               Credit.                                         Yes
                                A report of credit may be made for certain 
                                preapproved courses.  Credit is to be used 
                                primarily for graduate level course.  Regardless 
                                of the level, using a CR grade for a specific 
                                course requires prior approval of the University 
                                Curriculum Council.  Some colleges may limit
                                the number of CRs applied to major and degree 
P             N/A               Pass.                                            No
                                Conversion of grades A through D- under 
                                the pass/fail option.  The pass/fail option 
                                is designed to encourage students to explore 
                                areas of study which they might otherwise 
                                hesitate to enter.  To be eligible, the 
                                student must have a g.p.a. of 2.5 or better 
                                for his or her latest quarter of full-time 
                                enrollment, or have an accumulative g.p.a. of 
                                2.0 or better.  First-quarter freshmen 
                                automatically qualify. The pass/fail grading
                                option is subject to the following restrictions:  
                                1)No course taken pass/fail may be used to 
                                fulfill any graduation requirement (college, 
                                school, or departmental)other than the total 
                                hours requirement.  For example,course taken 
                                pass/fail cannot be used to meet distribution
                                requirements, minor or certificate requirements, 
                                requirements of courses above a specified level, 
                                a specific course established as a major requirement, 
                                or any other such requirements in the student's 
                                program.  Colleges may refuse permission to use 
                                the pass/fail option for courses that are eligible 
                                to meet any such requirement that have not already 
                                been met by the student; if they do grant permission 
                                in such a case, the student will have to meet that 
                                requirement with some other course.  Such courses 
                                taken pass/fail prior to the student'entering the 
                                program cannot apply to program requirements
                                other than total hours for graduation.  2) The 
                                student may take no more than one class per 
                                quarter or sub-term by pass/fail.  3) The student 
                                may complete no more than 20 quarter hours under 
                                this option.  4) The instructor is not to know who 
                                elects his or her course on the pass/fail option.  
                                A letter grade will be turned in and converted
                                to a P or F on the student's academic record by 
                                the registrar.  The original letter grade cannot 
                                be retrieved.  To initiate the pass/fail option 
                                the student should register for the class via 
                                TRIPS or Web Registration, and the contact
                                his or her college or regional campus student 
                                services office (during the first 15 calendar 
                                days of the quarter of first eight days of a 
                                sub-term only) to request that a class be
                                taken pass/fail.  Pass/fail requests by regional 
                                campus students are reviewed by the student's 
                                college student services office on the Athens 
                                campus, and may be denied if an inappropriate 
                                choice has been made.  Pass/fail applications
                                cannot be processed through TRIPS or Web 
S           N/A                 Satisfactory.                                   Yes-Inactive
                                Same Value as "CR" grade.  Became inactive
                                Fall 1967-68.

III.  No Credit--Not Included in Hours Earned and Not Used in G.P.A. Calculation
Letter      Numerical           Description                                     Assigned
Grade       Equivalent                                                          by Faculty
            (Grade Point Value)                                                 Member
AU          N/A                 Audit.                                          No
                                Indicates formal participation in a class, but
                                not for credit or a regular grade.  The student
                                who registers for an audit is expected to attend
                                and participate in the class according to the
                                instructor's policy.  Failing to do so can result
                                in removal of the Audit from the record.  (If this
                                action results in a change of fees, the University
                                policy of refund of registration fees will apply.)
                                Audited classes are calculated in the tuition fees.
I           N/A                 Incomplete.                                     Yes
                                Receiving a "I" means that the student has not
                                completed the work required for a regular grade.
                                The student must have the instructor's permission
                                to receive the Incomplete, and must complete the
                                work within the first six weeks of his or her 
                                next quarter of enrollment or the "I" converts 
                                automatically to an "F."  The instructor may 
                                request a one-time extension to the end of the 
                                quarter by completing a request for the extension 
                                through the Registrar's Office.  When the student 
                                applies for graduation, any Incompletes on the 
                                record will be calculated as "F" grdes for the 
                                purpose of determining eligibility for graduation 
                                and will be converted to "F's" six weeks after 
NC          N/A                 No Credit.                                      No-except
                                                                                for OPIE
                                Conversion of freshmen "D," "I," and "F"
                                grades from summer 1969-70 through summer
                                1976-77 for courses taken under the ABC
                                Grading System option.  Also replaces all
                                "F" grades uner the Segemented Transcript
                                Policy (began fall 9185-96).  NC grades are
                                submitted by faculty to indicate non-passing
                                performance by students in courses in the Ohio
                                Program of Intensive English (OPIE).
NR          N/A                 No Report.                                      No
                                This grade is assigned when:  1) The instructor
                                does not report the grade; 2) The instructor
                                reports the grade too late for quarterly 
                                processing; or 3) The instructor reports an 
                                ineligible grade for the grade eligibility code
                                of the course.
PR          N/A                 Progress.                                       Yes
                                This grade is primarily used at the graduate
                                level and applies only to a few very specific
                                pre-approved undergraduate courses that are
                                designed to span more than one quarter.  This
                                grade indicates that the student has made 
                                progress in the course but has not finished
                                the work required for a letter grade.  It may
                                extend longer than one quarter.
W           N/A                 Withdrawal.                                     No-Inactive
                                                                                fall of 1973-74
                                Officially dropped class or withdrew from 
                                University.  Became inactive fall 1973-74.
WP          N/A                 Withdrawn Passing.                              Yes
                                This grade designates classes dropped after
                                the 15th day os the quarter (eighth day of
                                a sub-term). It indicates that the student
                                was passing at the time of withdrawal.
WF          N/A                 Withdrawn Failing.                              Yes
                                This grade designates classes dropped after 
                                the 15th day of the quarter (eighth day of
                                a sub-term).  It indicates that the student
                                was failing at the time of withdrawal.

A course for which a grade has been assigned by a faculty member will not be removed from the student's academic record without approval of the Review Panel and the instructor (see Policy 12.050, "Canceling Registration, Dropping Classes, and Withdrawing," and the Faculty Handbook).

Repeating a Course

Repeating a course is to complete a course more than once for credit. This can be done only with repeatable courses, which are designed to be taken multiple times (e.g., MUS 340, PSY 490). Some departments place a limit on the total number of credits that may be earned in a given repeatable course.

Retaking a Course

A regular course with fixed content can be retaken to affect the student's g.p.a. Retaking the course removes the hours and the effect of the earlier grades from the calculation of the g.p.a. However, all grades appear on the permanent academic record (transcript). The last grade is the one used to calculate the g.p.a., even if it is lower than the earlier grade(s), and only the last instance's credit hours are accepted toward any requirements for graduation. Some graduate and professional schools will include all grades in their own calculation of the g.p.a. when determining a student's eligibility for admission, even though Ohio University calculates the g.p.a. using only the last grade in a retaken course.

As a rule, a course designated as a prerequisite may not be retaken to affect the g.p.a. after completion of higher-level coursework in the same subject area. Courses taken at Ohio University and retaken at another university are not eligible for grade point adjustment under this policy. Some departments limit the number of times a course may be retaken. Student should check with their college student services office regarding restrictions.

Retaking a course after graduation will not change graduation g.p.a., honors status, or rank in class.

Transfer Credit Grades

Grades for all acceptable transfer courses in which grades of C- or better are earned are converted to "T" on the student's academic record and the Degree Audit (DARS) Report. The number of quarter hours of credit earned at each institution is recorded on the permanent record transcript, but no grades are recorded. Transfer students, therefore, enter Ohio University with no grade point average on their Ohio University academic records.

Normally D+, D, or D- grades are not transferable. However, if one of these has been earned in a course which was a specific prerequisite (as stated in the academic catalog of the prior school) to a course in which the student earned a grade of C- or better, then the course in which the D+, D, or D- was received will be accepted for credit earned, and the T will be recorded on the DARS report.

Segmented Transcript Policy

The segmented transcript policy was developed as a way to allow students who leave the University with low grades and re-enroll after an absence of six or more years to begin coursework without the threat of academic probation. Under this policy, all of the student's courses will are reflected on the transcript, but the g.p.a. grades earned earlier are changed temporarily to CR (for any passing grade) and NC (for any failing grade), which removes them from the calculation of accumulative g.p.a., while the hours earned will be carried forward.

The new g.p.a. after segmentation will be used for determining your probationary status and liability of being academically dropped . The new g.p.a. also may be used, at the discretion of relevant officials or committees, to determine eligibility for entrance to academic programs or for scholarships and honor societies, although they also have the option of using the combined (true) g.p.a.

However, the g.p.a. for determining the 2.0 minimum overall g.p.a. for graduation and in the major, as well as honors status at graduation, is based on all hours attempted at Ohio University, including those attempted before segmentation. Upon graduation, the Registrar will return all grades to the originals and recalculate the g.p.a.

Subsequent gaps of six or more years will not qualify students for further transcript segmentation.

The student must petition the student services office of the college dean to have the transcript segmented.

Academic Status

Dean's List

The Deans List, compiled quarterly, includes the names of all students whose g.p.a. for the quarter is at least 3.3 for a minimum of 16 quarter hours of credit earned, including at least 12 hours attempted for letter grades that are used to calculate your g.p.a.

Academic Probation

To avoid academic probation, you must maintain an accumulative g.p.a. of at least 2.0. At the close of each quarter in which you are a full-time student, your record will be reviewed to verify your g.p.a. If you are a part-time student, the review will take place at the close of the quarter in which your accumulative number of hours of enrollment since your initial enrollment, or since your last review, exceeds 10.

Probation and Continuation

If at the time of the review you do not have the required 2.0 minimum g.p.a., you will be placed on academic probation. If you are already on probation, you may be allowed to continue at the University until the next review if, in the opinion of the dean, you are making adequate progress toward attaining a 2.0 g.p.a. A continuance can be granted a maximum of three times; thus, there is a limit of four consecutive quarters on academic probation if you are a full-time student.

Normally, adequate progress is based on reducing, or at least not increasing, the number of deficiency points you have, which is determined by multiplying your total number of hours attempted by two and subtracting this from all points earned. For example, if you have attempted 40 hours and have earned 65 grade points for those hours, first multiply hours by 2 (40 x 2 = 80). Then subtract the number of grade points (80 - 65 = 15 deficiency points). Increasing your grade points for additional hours can decrease your deficiency points and show that you are making adequate progress. This can be done by earning grades of C+ and above in the hours you attempt.

Some colleges require higher standards of performance than the University's 2.0 minimum. If you have been dropped from a college because of failure to meet such additional standards but are not subject to dismissal according to the University rules below, you are still eligible for admission to other programs in the University.

Removal from Probation

Removal of probationary status is automatic at the close of the quarter of review for both part-time and full-time students when your accumulative g.p.a. rises to 2.0 or above. Part-time students may be on probation between quarters of review even though their g.p.a. is 2.0 or higher.

Dismissal (Drop) and Reinstatement

If you are denied continuation of probation, you will be dropped from the University. A status of "Drop I" means you were dropped because of an increase in deficiency points. "Drop L" means you reached the limit of four probationary quarters. If you have been dropped, you are not able to enroll for regular courses on any Ohio University campus.

You may petition the dean of your college for reinstatement, but normally a petition will not be considered for at least 12 months after your dismissal. As a condition for reinstatement, the dean of your college may suggest remedial steps you can take, usually in the form of courses to be taken at other institutions or through Ohio University's Distance Learning courses in the Division of Lifelong Learning. Successful performance in this coursework may constitute sufficient grounds for waiving or shortening the waiting period for reinstatement.

If you have been dropped from the University for a second time, reinstatement is possible only under extraordinary circumstances and usually is not granted until at least 24 months after the second dismissal.

Academic Misconduct

All forms of academic misconduct are prohibited by the Student Code of Conduct. Academic misconduct refers to dishonesty in assignments or examinations (cheating); presenting the ideas or the writing of someone else as your own (plagiarism); or knowingly furnishing false information to the University by forgery, alteration, or misuse of University documents, records, or identification. Academic misconduct includes, but is not limited to, permitting another student to plagiarize or cheat from your work; submitting an academic exercise (written work, printing, sculpture, computer program) that has been prepared totally or in part by another; acquiring improper knowledge of the contents of an exam; using unauthorized material during an exam; submitting the same paper in two different courses without the consent of your professors; or submitting or causing to be submitted a forged grade change slip.

If you have committed any act of academic misconduct as determined by the judgment of a faculty member or by the procedures of the Office of University Judiciaries, serious action--which may include failure of work undertaken, failure in the course, and formal disciplinary action, including suspension or expulsion--will be taken against you.

In cases of academic misconduct, a faculty member has the authority to administer a failing grade. If your course grade is lowered by an instructor who has accused you of plagiarism, you may appeal this grade first through the instructor, then the department chair or school director, and then the dean of your college. If satisfaction is not achieved through this process, the dean will appoint a faculty committee of five members, including the chair or director of the department or school in question, to consider your case and render a decision. The decision of this committee is not subject to further appeal. The faculty member also has the discretion to refer your case to the director of judiciaries. The director of judiciaries, the University Hearing Board, and the University Appeal Board have the authority to take formal action that includes, but is not limited to, suspension or expulsion from the University. However, the director of judiciaries, the University Hearing Board, and the University Appeal Board have no authority to modify a grade given by a faculty member.

If you wish to appeal an action of University Judiciaries or the University Hearing Board, such as suspension or expulsion, you can take the matter to the University Appeal Board. Details of appeal procedures are included in the Student Handbook.

Further information on academic misconduct is available from the Office of University Judiciaries, telephone 740-593-2626.

Student Records Information

Students Records Policy

Consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, all of Ohio University's policies and practices governing the collection, maintenance, review, and release of student records will be based upon the principles of confidentiality and your individual right to privacy. The specific policy is detailed in the Appendix of this catalog.

Obtaining Transcripts

Students may order official transcripts in one of these types:

1.  Comprehensive transcript, showing all coursework at Ohio University.

2.  Undergraduate transcript only

3.  Graduate (master's and Ph.D.) transcript only

4.  Medical transcript only
There is a $5.00 per transcript fee for regular processing (generally 1-2 business days). Ther is a $10.00 fee for each transcript processed on same day requested on which the student waits (on demand). The student is required to provide his/her signature authorizing release of his/her transcript. Transcripts may be ordered by mail with a signed letter of request including payment by check or credit card or by signed FAX with payment by credit card or in person at the Registrar Service Windows. To find out more about the various processing, application, and delivery options available and to obtain a transcript request form, visit the Registrar Service Windows in Chubb Hall, go the registrar's Web site at, or phone the Registrar's Office, 740-593-4206, or send e-mail to

Replacement of Diploma

To obtain a replacement diploma, provide a notarized affidavit attesting that the original diploma has been lost or destroyed, or verification of a name change, to the registrar's office along with a request for a new diploma. In the case of a name change, you also must return the original diploma. Instructions for verifying a name change are available from the registrar's office. The fee for diploma replacement is $15.

The replacement diploma will carry current titles and signatures of University officers and the notation "official replacement." Allow four to six weeks for delivery.

Previous Section  Table of Contents  Next Section

Ohio University Front Door -Undergraduate Catalogs- Graduate Catalogs

University Advancement and Computer Services revised this file ( on September 16, 2003.

Please E-mail comments or suggestions to ""