Dr. Tong is working in the Edison Biotechnology Institute at Ohio University.
2009-2014 Ohio University, OH (Ph.D. in Biochemistry)
2003-2008 The Chinese University of Hong Kong, HKSAR (B.S. in Biochemistry)
2006-2007 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY (Exchange student in Biology)
2015-2016 Edison Biotechnology Institute, Ohio University (Mentor: Dr. Shiyong Wu)
2016-present Assistant Investigator, Edison Biotechnology Institute, Ohio University.
2018-present Translational Biomedical Sciences Adjunct Graduate Faculty, Ohio University.
2016 Summer Lecturer, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University.
2015 Summer Lecturer, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University.
2014 Outstanding graduate student, Edison Biotechnology Institute, Ohio University.
2014 Second Place, Student Research and Creative Activity Expo, Ohio University.
2003-2008 Scholarship: A full scholarship by HKSAR and Scholarship Scheme for
Mainland Students (Private Fund) with a total of HK$400,000.
- NIH 1R01 ES030425-01A1 (Role: Co-I): Potential of cNOS as a target for chemoprevention of UVB-induced carcinogenesis (07/01/2019-06/31/2024) ($1,698,750. Total)
- PACE grant at Ohio University (for supporting qualified undergraduate students working in the research labs) (LT1358100) (Role: Mentor) 2017-2018. ($4,980. Total)
- Startup Fund (Role: PI), Edison Biotechnology Institute, Ohio University. ($50,000. Total)
- American Cancer Society Research Postdoctoral Fellowship (PF-1605101-NEC), (Role: PI) The role of carnosol in reducing skin cancer development and progression. 6/1/2016-/5/31/2019. ($163,500. Total)
- Collaboration grant with Chubu University, Japan (GF0018940). (Role: Co-PI) The potential chemopreventive effect of nobiletin on UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis. 2017. ($15,000. Total)
- Ohio University Baker Fund. (Role: Co-PI) The role of carnosol in preventing skin cancer development. 5/2017- 5/2018. ($12,000. Total)
- NIH 1R21 ES031340-01 (Role: PI): Potential of CIRP as a target for chemoprevention of low dose UVB-induced carcinogenesis (09/01/2019-08/31/2021)
- NIH 1R15 GM136942-01 (Role: Co-I): Mechanism of ROS/RNS-mediated Activation of PERK in UVB-irradiated Skin Cells. (09/01/2019-08/31/2021)
- DOD/SBIR (Role: subcontractor): Carbon nanotube film-based radiation dosimeters. ($31,502)
(*: Corresponding author)
- Sun W, Liao Y, Yi Q, Wu S, Tang L*, Tong L*. The mechanism of CIRP in regulation of STAT3 phosphorylation and Bag-1/S expression upon UVB radiation. Photochem Photobio. (2018).
- Tong L* and Wu S. The Mechanisms of Carnosol in Chemoprevention of Ultraviolet B-Light-Induced Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Formation. Sci Rep. (2018) 8(1):3574.
- Liao Y, Tong L, Tang L*, Wu S*. The Role of Cold-inducible RNA binding protein in Cell Stress Response. Int J Cancer. (2017) 141(11):2164-2173.
- Feng J, Li L, Tong L, Tang L*, Wu S*. The Involvement of Splicing Factor hnRNP A1 in UVBinduced Alternative Splicing of hdm2. Photochem Photobio. (2016) 92:318-324.
- Tong L, Chuang CC, Wu S*, Zuo L*. Reactive Oxygen Species in Redox Cancer Therapy. Cancer Lett. (2015) 367(1):18-25.
- Tong L, and Wu S*. ROS and p53 in Regulation of UVB-induced hdm2 Alternative Splicing. Photochem Photobio. (2015) 91(1):221-224.
- Tong L, Yuan Y, Wu S*. Therapeutic microRNAs targeting the NF-kappa B Signaling Circuits of Cancers. Adv Drug Deliv Rev (2015) 81:1-15.
- Tong L, and Wu S*. The role of constitutive nitric oxide synthase in UVB-induced Nuclear Factor kappa B activity. J Biol Chem (2014) 289(38):26658-68.
- Zheng Q, Zhang H, Tong L, Wu S, Chen H*. A new cross-linking electrochemical mass spectrometry for probing protein 3D-structures. Anal Chem (2014) 86(18):8983-91.
- Qian Y, Wang X, Liu Y, Li Y, Colvin RA, Tong L, Wu S, Chen X*. Extracellular ATP is internalized by macropinocytosis and induces intracellular ATP increase and drug resistance in cancer cells. Cancer Lett (2014) 351(2):242-51.
- Liu Y, Cao Y, Zhang W, Bergmeier SC, Qian Y, Akbar H, Colvin RA, Ding J, Tong L, Wu S, Hines JV, and Chen X*. A small molecule inhibitor of glucose transporter 1 down-regulates glycolysis, induces cell cycle arrest, and inhibits cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo. Mol. Cancer Therapeutics (2012) 8:1672-82.
- Tong L, Heim RA and Wu S*. Nitric Oxide: A Regulator of Eukaryotic Initiation Factor 2 Kinases. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. (2011) 50:1717-1725.
- Wu S* and Tong L. Differential Signaling Circuits in Regulation of Ultraviolet C Light-Induced Early- and Late-Phase Activation of NF-κB (Invited Review) Photochem Photobio. (2010) 86:995-999.
(*: Corresponding author)
- Tong L, Sun W, Wu S, Han Y*. The identification of anti-cancer property of bipyridine compound Caerulomycin A.
- Sun W, Zhou Y, Wu S, Tang L*, Tong L*. The essential role of CIRP in regulating cell responses upon ionizing radiation.
- Tong L, Wu S*. cNOS mediates NF-kappa B activity and cell survival signaling pathways upon UVB radiation.
- Tong L*, Richardson L, Woo J, Wu S. The role of nobiletin in sensitizing cancer cells to ionizing radiation.
Chapters in Book(s)
- Yuan Y, Tong L and Wu S* (2015) MicroRNA and NF-kappa B. In: microRNA: Medical Evidence from Molecular Biology to Clinical Practice. Series: Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, Vol. 887. Editor: G. Santulli. Springer Publishing Company. 157-170.
Abstracts, Preliminary Communications, Panel Discussions (*Presenter)
- Tong L*, Han Y, Wu S. The whitening effect of novel synthesized glucosamine fatty acid ester. PanAmerican Society for Pigment Cell Research.2019. Bar Harbor, ME.
- Tong L, Lorca V, Wu S*. The UPR-independent Activation of PERK post-UVB Exposure. American Society for Photobiology special meeting, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- Tong L* and Wu S. The anti-cancer property of carnosol on UVB-induced skin cancer: in vitro and in vivo activities and mechanisms. ACS-Jiler Professors and Fellows Conference. 2018, Minneapolis, MN.
- Tong L, Lorca V, Richardson L, Heusey H and Wu S*. The Effect Of cNOS Inhibitor On UVBInduced DNA Lesions Formation and Skin Cancer Development in Cell Culture and Animal Models. (Invited talk) ASP Annual meeting, 2018, Tampa, FL.
- Sun W*, Liao Y, Yi Q, Wu S, Tong L and Liling Tang, The mechanism of CIRP in regulation of Stat3 phosphorylation and Bag-1/S expression after UVB radiation. ASP Annual meeting, 2018, Tampa, FL.
- Lorca V*, Tong L, and Wu S. DNA damage induced after UVB irradiation (Role of L-NAME on CPDs levels). AACR, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Tong L* and Wu S. The role of carnosol in reducing skin cancer development and progression. (Invited talk) ASP Annual meeting, 2016, Tampa, FL.
- Tong L* and Wu S. The role of carnosol in reducing skin cancer development and progression. (Poster) AACR Annual meeting, 2015, Philadelphia, PA.
- Tong L* and Wu S. The differential effects of carnosol in regulation cellular apoptosis upon high and low UVB-irradiation. (Poster) AMBSB Experimental Biology, 2013, Boston, MA.
- Tong L* and Wu S. The role of constitutive nitric oxide synthase (cNOS) in UVB-induced NFkB activity. (Oral Presentation) Appalachian Regional Cell Conference, 2012, Charleston, WV.
- Tong L* and Wu S. UVB-induced ER stress-independent PERK activation. (Poster) AACR Annual meeting, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Tong L* and Wu S. The role of constitutive nitric oxide synthase (cNOS) in UVB-induced NFkB activation. (Poster) Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2011, Atlanta, GA.
- Recent Patents in Biotechnology, Bentham science
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences, MDPI
- Journal of Dermatological Science, Elsevier
- Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, Springer
- Molecules, MDPI
- Medical Research Archives, KEI Journals
- Nutrients, MDPI
- PeerJ, PeerJ
- Photochemistry and Photobiology, Wiley