A&S Career and Networking Week
Save the Date: Jan. 27 to Feb. 1, 2020
The fourth annual College of Arts & Sciences Career & Networking Week is Jan. 27 to Feb. 1, 2020.
A highlight is Alumni Networking Day on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020, with an Alumni and Student Networking Reception that brings together hundreds of alumni and students majoring in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
Monday, Jan. 27, 2020
Workshop | Stay Out of Your Own Way: How Gender Stereotypes Threaten our Success
- 4 to 5:30 p.m., Baker University Center 240/242
- Facilitator: M. Geneva Murray, Director of the Women’s Center
This She Leads Ohio workshop examines the language individuals use to communicate their confidence level. Learn about ways in which women have been socialized to undersell their skills, and develop new ways of speaking about ourselves. While the focus of the workshop is on empowering women, the skills discussed are applicable to everyone regardless of gender identity. Additionally, we encourage attendance from anyone interested in serving in a supervisory role, as it can help understand the gendered differences in communication styles you may notice from your colleagues.
Workshop | How to Use Handshake During Your Internship and Career Search
- 5:15 to 6 p.m., Baker University Theater
- Kickoff of Career & Networking Week: Dr. Florenz Plassmann, Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
- Workshop Facilitator: Kacey Schaum, Career & Leadership Development Center
Learn how to set-up your profile and utilize Handshake to connect with employers seeking Bobcats through job and internship postings, on-campus interviews, career events, and more.
Community Partners Internship Showcase
- 6 p.m., Baker University Theater, reception follows
- Hosted by the Center for Community Engagement
Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020
Workshop | How to Use LinkedIn to Network with Employers & Alumni
- 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Baker University Center
Discover the features offered through LinkedIn—one of the best networking tools—including how to navigate the Alumni Networking Tool. Bring a laptop or tablet to this interactive workshop. Free LinkedIn photos will be available!
Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020
Walk-In Wednesday — Professional Resume Review
- 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 1 to 4 p.m., Wilson Hall Administrative Building 104
Take advantage of a 10-minute drop-in session to review your resume with Assistant Director Kacey Schaum, who specializes in coaching Arts & Sciences majors. No appointment needed.
Panel | STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math)
- 6 to 7:30 p.m., Colab, Alden Library 301
Hear from a panel of employers and Ohio University alumni. Light refreshments will be served.
Diversity Workshop | "That's a Great Question": Responding to Bias in Interview Questions
- Noon to 1 p.m., Baker Center 219, Multicultural Center
- Workshop Facilitators: Cat Russell, M. Geneva Murray, Tamika Williams
This one-hour interactive workshop is designed to engage participants through activities that will build confidence and skill responding to both overtly and covertly discriminatory, biased, and even illegal questions as a candidate during an interview without negatively impacting chances of a job offer.
Alumni & Student Networking Reception
Networking, Resume Review, Employer Tables, and more
- 3:30 to 7 p.m., Baker University Center Ballroom
- Free | Hors d'Oeuvres
- Free LinkedIn Photos!
- Alumni RSVP for Networking Reception
- Student RSVP for Networking Reception
The Arts & Sciences networking night brings alumni and students together for a career development and networking lab with how-to instruction for one-to-one student and alumni networking. Students will receive business cards, engage in the "Art and Science of Networking," and build their Bobcat network.
Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020
- Saturday Series — CLDC Training Programs
- 10 a.m. to 5:20 p.m., Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center, Baker University Center 366
Enhance your leadership development by participating in the CLDC leadership programs! The Saturday Series is a unique opportunity for Ohio University students to complete all of the workshop requirements for the Career Readiness Training Program and the 21st Century Leadership Program in one Saturday.
Career Readiness Training Program
Complete the program by attending three workshops, a 30-minute career coaching appointment, and a mock interview.
- “Keys to Networking Success”
- “Creating the Perfect Resume and Cover Letter”
- “Job Search and Interviewing”
21st Century Leadership Program
Complete the program by attending three workshops and three 30-minute leadership coaching appointments.
- “Understanding Ethics and Values”
- “Understanding Team Development”
- “Understanding Emotional Intelligence”