A&S Career and Networking Week
Save the Date: Jan. 27 to Feb. 1, 2020
The fourth annual College of Arts & Sciences Career & Networking Week is Jan. 27 to Feb. 1, 2020.
A highlight is Alumni Networking Day on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020, with an Alumni and Student Networking Reception that brings together hundreds of alumni and students majoring in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
- For more alumni information, contact Lisa Cohen. For more student information, contact Kacey Schaum.
Monday, Jan. 28, 2019
Workshop | How to Use LinkedIn to Network with Employers & Alumni
- 5:15 to 6:30 p.m., Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center ? Baker University Center 366
- Kickoff of Career & Networking Week: Dr. Joseph Shields, Interim Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
- Workshop Facilitator: Kacey Schaum, Career & Leadership Development Center
Discover the features offered through LinkedIn?one of the best networking tools?including how to navigate the Alumni Networking Tool. Bring a laptop or tablet to this interactive workshop. Free LinkedIn photos will be available!
Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019
Workshop | How to Use Handshake during the Internship & Career Search
- 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Baker University Center 503
Learn how to set-up your profile and utilize Handshake to connect with employers seeking Bobcats through job and internship postings, on-campus interviews, career events, and more.
Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019
Walk-In Wednesday — Professional Resume Review
- 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 1 to 4 p.m., Wilson Hall Administrative Building 104
Take advantage of a 10-minute drop-in session to review your resume with Assistant Director Kacey Schaum, who specializes in coaching Arts & Sciences majors. No appointment needed.
- 5 to 5:50 p.m., Baker University Center 239
- Alan McMillan, Founder of LearnEarnRetire
Dig into the power of building your brand and your network?and discover how this enhances your career trajectory. Learn how to develop new skills that, deployed over time, will create lifelong habits for a successful career.
- 6 to 7:30 p.m., Baker University Center 503
Hear from a panel of employers and Ohio University alumni. Light refreshments and drinks will be served. Panelists include Rebecca Melick '94, Cynthia Calhoun '88, Tim Law Sr. '94, and Juan Thomassie.
- 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Baker University Center 219 (Multicultural Center)
- Speaker: M. Geneva Murray, Director of Women's Center
Learn how to research organizational policies that may indicate a level of institutional commitment to diversity and inclusion. This session covers legal versus illegal questions, as well as unconscious bias on the part of recommenders, interviewers and hiring managers. Additionally, the facilitators will speak to the tensions of deciding to disclose protected identities in the cover letter or interview process.
Political Science and Public Affairs Career Panel
- 1:30 to 3 p.m., Schoonover 145
- See panelists.
Sociology & Anthropology Alumni Gathering
- 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., Baker University Center 235
Handshake How-To for Alumni
- 3 to 3:30 p.m., Baker University Center 233
Networking, Resume Review, Employer Tables, Job Board....
- No RSVP Needed.
- 3:30 to 7 p.m., Baker University Center Ballroom
- Free | Hors d'Oeuvres
- Free LinkedIn Photos!
The Arts & Sciences networking night brings alumni and students together for a career development and networking lab with how-to instruction for one-to-one student and alumni networking. Students will receive business cards, engage in the ?Art and Science of Networking,? and build their Bobcat network.
Friday, Feb. 1, 2019
English Alumni Panel
- How to get a cool job: A Chat with English Department Alumni Who've Made It
- 11:50 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. - Career Panel, Ellis 109
- 12:35 to 1:10 p.m. - English Alumni-Student Luncheon, Ellis 109
- 1:10 to 1:55 p.m. - Career Panel, Ellis 109
- See panelists.
Meet the English Alum Who Develops American Airlines Digital Platforms
- 3 p.m. in Ellis 014
- Read about Aaron Schwarz '11.
Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019
- Saturday Series — CLDC Certificates
- 10 a.m. to 5:20 p.m., Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center, Baker University Center 366
Enhance your leadership development with a certificate! The Saturday Series is a unique opportunity for Ohio University students to complete all of the workshop requirements for the Professional Leadership Certificate and the 21st Century Leadership Certificate in one Saturday.
- "I Am Right. You Are Wrong." Understanding Ethics and Values
- "Building an Awesome Team": Understanding Team Development
- "Get It Together": Understanding Emotional Intelligence