- PhD, University of New Orleans, 1990. Higher Education Leadership and Administration.
- MEd (summa cum laude), Nicholls State University, 1985. Curriculum and Instruction.
- BS, Nicholls State University, 1984. Business Education.
Dr. Mary Tucker is a Professor of Management who has taught courses in global leadership, management, organization behavior, intercultural effectiveness, and communication. Her dissertation research focused on transformational leadership. She has published over 50 professional journal articles and textbooks and received numerous teaching, service, and research awards, including a Best Research Paper Award from the Academy of Management. She is a certified trainer in cultural intelligence and has a specialization in foundations of positive psychology. Dr. Tucker has done extensive training, speaking, and course development for both private and public sector organizations in the areas of leadership, effective communication, intercultural effectiveness, management, emotional intelligence, diversity, ethics, media relations, customer satisfaction, and total quality management. For seven years, she conducted leadership training for the American Association of Highway Transportation Officials in cooperation with the ENO Transportation Foundation in Washington, DC. She worked on a faculty team for the College of Business' inaugural MBA Program for Brazilian Executives and served on a faculty team for the MBA without Boundaries program. Dr. Tucker served as the Director of Communication Across the Curriculum for the College of Business and directed the Management Department Honors Program, which she developed. She team-taught in the College of Business' AACSB award-winning business cluster, a problem-based holistic teaching approach where students apply cross-discipline concepts to solve real-world consulting problems. She participated in the College of Business Global Consulting Program, teaching one quarter in Pau, France, and a summer session in Ancona, Italy. She also served as a Master Teacher Mentor, Director of Undergraduate Assurance of Learning for the college, and Associate Director for Undergraduate Education for OHIO's Center for International Business.
Leadership, Management Pedagogy, and Intercultural Effectiveness
Owner and co-manager of a sports store; various jobs in both the private and the public sector.
- Tucker, M. L., Pueschel, A., Rosado-Feger, A., Taylor-Bianco, A. (In Review). Strategic leadership development through energy management. Journal of Scholastic Inquiry: Business.
- Hartman, K. B., Tucker, M. L., & Andzulis, J. M. (In Review). Using class presentation to educate business students about accreditation and assurance of learning. Journal of Scholastic Inquiry: Business.
- Pueschel, A., & Tucker, M. L. 2018. Shifting students’ perspective: Achieving Grit through the Growth Mindset. Journal of Instructional Pedagogies, 20.
- Pueschel, A., Tucker, M. L., Feger, A., Taylor-Bianco, A., & Sullivan, G. 2018. Priming students for success through energy management: The balancing act. Journal of Instructional Pedagogies, 20.
- Penrod, C., Tucker, M., Hartman, K. 2017. Models for delivering written business communication skills: Improving the process. Journal of Instructional Pedagogies, 19.
- Taylor-Bianco, A., Tucker, M., Rosado Feger, A., Barnett, T. 2017. Teaching "Business" Ethics: Affecting change through self-regulation and reflection. Journal of Instructional Pedagogies.
- Penrod, C., & Tucker, M. L., & Hartman, K. 2016. Assessing Business Presentation Skills: Assuring Learning through Assessment, Analysis, and Curriculum Improvement. Journal of Behavioral Studies in Business.
- Meyer, A., Taylor-Bianco, A., & Tucker, M. L. 2015. Women in Business: Examining Failures and Defining Success. Journal of Interdisciplinary Business Studies.
- Tucker, M. L., Koch, R. S., & Gullekson, N. L. 2015. “Developing Global Leadership Skills through International Virtual Teams, Journal of Advancements in Business Education.
- Penrod, C., & Tucker, M. L. 2014. Assessing Business Writing Across the Undergraduate Curriculum: A Framework for Assuring Learning. Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 4, 1-10.
- Tucker, M. L., Gullekson, N. L., & Esmond-Kiger, C., 2014. Accounting for EI: Does Emotional Intelligence Predict Greater Intercultural Growth? Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies.
- Gullekson, N. L., & Tucker, M. L. 2013. An Examination of the Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Intercultural Growth for Students Studying Abroad. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, 13, 162-178.
- Rosado Feger, A., Tucker, M. L., Bernt, P. W., & Gullekson, N. 2013. Gender Roles in Teams: Have Things Changed? Journal of Interdisciplinary Business Studies.
- Tucker, M. L., Gullekson, N. L., & McCabridge, J. 2011, December. Assurance of learning in short-term, study abroad programs. Research in Higher Education Journal,14. http://aabri.com/rhej.html.
- Gullekson, N. L., Tucker, M. L., Wright, S., & Coombs, G. 2011, November. Examining Intercultural Growth for Business Students in Short-Term Study Abroad Programs: Too good to be true? Journal of Teaching in International Business, 22(2), 91-106.
- Esmond-Kiger, C., Tucker, M. L., & Yost, C. A. Winter 2006. Emotional Intelligence: From the Classroom to the Workplace. Management Accounting Quarterly.
- Myers, L. L., & Tucker, M. L. 2005. Incorporating the Theory of Emotional Intelligence into a Business Communication Class. Business Communication Quarterly, 68(1), 44-51.
- Prehar, C. A., McCarthy, A. M., & Tucker, M. L. 2004. Predicting and Changing Willingness to Engage in Community Service: A Service-learning Intervention Study Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior. Journal of Excellence in College Teaching, 15(3), 63-83.
- Spengler, L., Gupta, A., & Tucker, M. L. 2003. The Ethical and Legal Issues in Competitive Intelligence Gathering: A Study of MBAs’ Perceptions and Intentions. Review of Business and Economics, 1(2), 208-222. Paper presented at the International Academy of Business and Economics, October 20, 2003, Las Vegas.
- McCarthy, A. M. & Tucker, M. L. 2002. Encouraging Volunteerism Through Service-learning. Journal of Management Education, 26(6), 629-647.
- Kirch, D. P., Tucker, M. L., & Kirch, C. E. 2001. Better Profits through Better People: The Benefits of Emotional Intelligence in Accounting Firms. The CPA Journal, LXXI(8), 60-61.
- Kaman, V., McCarthy, A. M., Tucker, M. L., & Gulbro, R. D. 2001. Bureaucratic and High Commitment Human Resource Practices in Small Service Firms. Human Resource Planning, 24(1), 33-44.
- Tucker, M. L. & McCarthy, A. M. 2001. Presentation Self-efficacy: Increasing Communication Skills Through Service-learning. Journal of Managerial Issues, xiii(2), 227-244.
- McCambridge,J. A., McCarthy, A. M., & Tucker, M. L. 2000. An Empirical Exploration of the Linkages Between Emotional Intelligence and Leadership in a Training Context. Journal of Contemporary Issues in Management, 8(2), 55-62.
- Shiarella, A., McCarthy, A. M., & Tucker, M. L. 2000. Development and Construct Validity of Scores on the Community Service Attitude Scale. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 60(2), 286-300. Reprinted in R. Bringle, Measurement Instruments for Service Learning: Students,Indianapolis, IN: Indiana Campus Compact, 2001.
- McCambridge, J., McCarthy, A., & Tucker, M. 2000. Using Dialogue to Enhance Team Learning and Effectiveness Teaching and Technology: New Learning Paradigms for the New Millennium, 1. OBTC-2000, Carrolton, GA: State University of WestGeorgia.
- Yost, C. A. & Tucker, M. L. 2000. Are Effective Teams More Emotionally Intelligent? Confirming the Importance of Effective Communication in Teams. Delta Pi Epsilon, XXXXII(2), 101-109.
- Tucker, M. L., McCarthy, A. M., Sojka, J. S., & Barone, F. J. 2000. Training Tomorrow’s Leaders: Enhancing the Emotional Intelligence of Business Graduates. Journal of Education for Business, 75(6), 331-337.
- Tucker, M. L., McCarthy, A. M., & Jones, C. J. 1999. Women and Men Politicians: Are Some Leaders Dissatisfied? Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 20(6), 285-290.
- Tucker, M. L., Powell, K. S., & Cleary, C. A. 1999. Incorporating Community Service Learning into the Business Communication Class, Delta Pi Epsilon, XXXXI(2), 42-52.
- McCarthy, A. M. & Tucker, M. L. 1999. Student Attitudes toward Service-Learning: Implications for Implementation, Journal of Management Education, 23(5), 554-573.
- Tucker, M. L., McCarthy, A. M., & Gulbro, R. D. 1999. Increasing Customer Satisfaction with Effective Leadership: Testing a Model. Journal of Business & Entrepreneurship, 11(1), 17-30.
- Tucker, M. L. & McCarthy, A. M. 1998. Searching for Transformational Leaders: An Investigation of Female Politicians' Leadership Styles. Academy of Strategic and Organizational Leadership Journal, 2(1), 53-63.
- Tucker, M. L., McCarthy, A. M., Hoxmeier, J., & Lenk, M. 1998. Service-Learning Increases Communication Skills across the Business Curriculum, Business Communication Quarterly, 61(2), 89-100.
- McCambridge, J. A. & Tucker, M. L. January 1998. The Status of TQM Implementation in State Departments of Transportation: The View from the Firing Line, Journal of Management in Engineering, 14(1), 49-57.
- Gulbro, R. D., Tucker, M. L., & Loftin, W. E. Winter 1997. Are Rural and Urban Small Firms Alike? Central Business Review, 17-21.
- Gulbro, R. D. & Tucker, M. L. 1996. Are Human Resource Management Practices Important in Small Firms? The Entrepreneurial Executive, 1(2), 38-43.
- Tucker, M. L., Meyer, G. D., & Westerman, J. W. 1996. Organizational Communication: Development of Internal Strategic Competitive Advantage, The Journal of Business Communication, 33(1), 51-69.
- Tucker, M. L., Powell, K. S., & Meyer, G. D. 1995. A Look at Qualitative Research in Business Communication, The Journal of Business Communication, 32(4), 383-399.
- Taylor, D. L. & Tucker, M. L. 1995. Invariance Testing in Discriminant Analysis: A Heuristic Application of the Jackknife Statistic and Procrustean Rotation, Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 28(2), 99-111.
- Gulbro, R. D., Tucker, M. L., Parrish, R. W., & Dimas, T. Spring-Summer 1995. Management's Choice of Bank Customer Research: The Mystery Shopper, Mail Survey, or Telephone Survey, Delta Business Review, 5(1), 45-53.
- Gulbro, R. D. & Tucker, M. L. Spring-Summer 1995. Employee Discipline in Small Firms, Delta Business Review, 5(1), 40-44.
- Taylor, D. L. & Tucker, M. L. 1994. Cross Validation in Canonical Analysis, Louisiana Educational Research Journal, 29: 84-96.
- Authement, J. & Tucker, M. L. 1990. Job Design in Management Position: Development through Disequilibrium, Journal of Management in Practice, 2(1), 55-58.
Presentations & Awards
Best Manuscript Award
- Esmond-Kiger, C., Yost, C. A., Tucker, M. L., Kirch, D., & Cutright, K. (2002). Accounting students and team effectiveness: What has Emotional Intelligence got to do with it? Program Information and Proceedings. Paper presented at the 2002 Ohio Regional Meeting of the American Accounting Association, Columbus, Ohio. Revised manuscript presented at the 2002 American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, San Antonio.
Small Business Best Papers Session, Distinguished Paper Award
- Tucker, M. L., McCarthy, A., Kamen, V. & Gulbro, R. D (2000). Human Resource Practices that Establish Expectations and that Support Employee Responsibility in Small Service Firms. SBIA 2000 Proceedings. Paper presented at Southwest Federation of Administrative Disciplines (SWFAD) in the Association for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Division (ASBE) San Antonio, Texas.
OCIS Best Paper Award
- Tucker, M. L., Meyer, G. D., & Westerman, J. W. (1994). A Resource-Based View of Barrier Reducing Communicated Knowledge as a Source of Competitive Advantage. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Organizational Communications and Information Systems Division, Dallas, August 1994.
EERA Distinguished Research Award Nomination
- Daniel, L. G. & Tucker, M. L. (1993). Multidimensional Analysis of the Higher Education Leader Communication Scale: Understanding Followers' Perceptions of Leaders' Communication Effectiveness." Eastern Educational Research Association meeting; Clearwater.