- MSA, Ohio University
- BSBA Marketing, Xavier University
- Ticket Sales
- Database Marketing
- Executive Director MBA Sports Business Program - Arizona State University
- Sr. Vice President of Sales & Marketing - Cleveland Cavaliers
- Vice President of Sales & Marketing - SRO/Pace Promotions
- Director of Marketing - St. Louis Arena
- Director of Marketing - Riverfront Coliseum
- Lawrence, H., Kahler, J., Cortorno, R. (2009). An examination of luxury suite ownership in professional sports. Journal of Venue and Event Management, 1(1), 1-18.
- Kahler, J., Ridpath, B. David, Moran, P., Pfahl, M., Davis, C. (2010). Brought to You by: The 2010 National Sports Forum Corporate and Industry Survey (th ed.). San Diego, CA: National Sports Forum.
- Ridpath, B. David, Moran, P., Kahler, J. (2009). Sports Sponsorships and the Insurance Industry (th ed.). Deland, FL: Sports Marketing Association.
- Ridpath, B. David, Kahler, J., Moran, P., Maestas, A., Francis, S., Payne, R., Migala, D., Petzold, A. (2008). Brought to You by: The 2008 National Sports Forum Corporate and Industry Survey (th ed., pp.52). San Diego, CA: National Sports Forum.
- Lawrence, H., Kahler, J. (2007). Who buys luxury suites? (th ed., pp.29-34): SEAT.
- Paul L. O'Connor Award - Outstanding Student Athlete - Xavier University
- Charles Higgins Distinguished Alumni Award - Ohio University Sports Administration Program
Jim Kahler is the Executive Director of the Center of Sports Administration at Ohio University. He accepted the position in December of 2005 and oversees the day to day operation of the center that carries forward the university’s pioneering tradition in sports management education. The center links faculty, students, and alumni to sports-related organizations and businesses, emphasizing research and harnessing knowledge to benefit the industry.
Ohio University has been the leader in preparing students for careers in the sports business industry since 1966, when it founded the first graduate program in sports administration. Today, four decades since its birth, both the sports administration program and the industry have grown exponentially. The sport industry’s expansion and globalization present today’s leaders with new challenges, ones that highlight the need for research, academic preparation and professional development. OHIO's AECOM Center for Sports Administration is meeting this challenge.
Prior to returning to Ohio University, where Kahler was a member of the MSA Class of 1981, he spent the previous 3 1/2 years at Arizona State University were he helped develop the MBA Sports Business Program at the W.P. Carey School of Business. From November of 1991 until July of 2002 Jim served as the Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for the Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) and Rockers (WNBA). In this position he was responsible for ticket, corporate and broadcast sales, as well as, marketing and public relations for the Cavs / Gund Arena Company. During these years his responsibilities included the development of MAC Properties and Gund Sports Marketing, two subsidiaries of the organization that focus on collegiate sports marketing and sponsorship sales for the Mid-American Conference (Miami University and Bowling Green State University). Jim accepted this position after working as the Director of Marketing for the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, the Director of Marketing for the St. Louis Arena, and as Vice President of Sales and Marketing for SRO/PACE in Chicago. Jim was excited for the opportunity to not only work for the Cavs, but to return to his hometown of Cleveland.
Jim received his BSBA from Xavier University in 1980 and went on to receive his Master’s degree in Sports Administration from Ohio University. He was honored in 1994 with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the OHIO Sports Administration Program. This award has been given annually since 1982 and is the program’s highest honor. He has remained actively involved with Ohio University as a guest lecturer and as a past member of Ohio’s Alumni Advisory Board.
Jim currently serves on the Board of the United States Table Tennis Association as an Independent Director. . He currently serves on the Advisory Board for a number of sports business organizations including the National Sports Forum (San Diego, CA), Navigate Sports Marketing (Chicago, IL) and In Stadium Advertising (Chicago, IL). He also served a three-year term (1997 – 2000) on the NBA’s Marketing Advisory Committee.
Jim and his wife Katie are the proud parents of four children, Peter, Meaghan, Jimmy, and Caitlin.