Grid Map Square:
McCracken is located in the North Green, coordinates J-3 on the campus map. It is marked as #56 on the map.
McCracken Hall houses the Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education, and the Development Office Phonathon. Administrative offices, classrooms, computer lab, media lab, distance learning lab, and conference rooms occupy the building.
Built in 1959, McCracken contains 66,600 square feet of space. The colonial style building has four floors. It was called the College of Education building until 1963 when it was named in honor of Thomas Cooke McCracken.
Thomas Cooke McCracken
McCracken Hall is named in honor of Thomas Cooke McCracken. Born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, he was educated at Bellefontaine High School, Monmouth College, Illinois, and Harvard University. He was a South End House Fellow at Harvard and an Austin Scholar at Radcliff. He was in the teaching profession for forty-five years as a teacher, principal, college dean, and provost. In 1936, he was named the first Provost of Ohio University, while continuing to serve as the Dean of the College of Education. He was a leader in raising standards and redeveloping the student teaching program at Ohio. He was also a national president of Kappa Delta Pi, honor society in education.
100 E. Union St., Athens, OH 45701 (Directions)
The North Green
North Green has one residence hall, Voigt Hall. Notable buildings on this green include Hudson Health Center, Glidden Hall, Hudson Health Center and Schoonover Center.