|Welcome! The Pre-professional Advising Center (PAC) in 111 Irvine Hall offers individualized assistance and advice for Ohio University students and alumni interested in the health professions, including Dentistry, Medicine, Optometry, Physical Therapy, Veterinary Medicine and other allied health professions. Current students should meet with the Pre-professional Advisor, Ann LaComb, to discuss their professional goals, explore options and discover how the PAC can serve them throughout their college career. "Walk-in" appointment availability will vary by quarter. Scheduled appointments can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 740-593-0431. Prospective students are encouraged to review this website and contact Undergraduate Admissions for information and/or to arrange a visit to campus.
To be successful in the health care field requires strong academic performance and admissions exam scores. Beyond that, it will require personal development and a full understanding of the expectations of your field of interest.
Services offered by the PAC:
Recommended Goals for Students Planning for Health Professions
- Information on preparing for professional school
- Supplemental academic advising
- Applicant Workshops
- Preparation for standardized tests (MCAT, DAT, OAT, GRE)
- Assistance with identifying beneficial opportunities, scholarship, and timelines
- Techniques for creating a well written personal statement for the professional school application
- nterviewing tips and mock interviews
- Coordination of letters of recommendation
- Earn a solid overall GPA (3.5+)
- Earn a solid Science GPA (3.5+)
- Learn about the admissions test for professional school
- Get to know your faculty! You will need 2-3 letters of recommendation when applying
- Get clinical experience in your field of medicine
- Shadow professionals
- Get involved! Volunteer, join student clubs, take on leadership roles during college
- Consider gaining research experience
- READ to strengthen comprehension skills for undergraduate work and beyond
Students who are Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Optometry or Pre-Veterinary medicine, and who will be juniors or seniors, may apply each Spring for departmental pre-professional scholarships and awards. Selection is based upon factors such as superior academic performance, motivation, personal qualities, and need. We strongly urge qualified students to apply for these prestigious scholarships.
Applications for the upcoming year will be available in January from the Pre-professional advising center, 111 Irvine Hall.