William Henry Scott, A.M., LL.D.,1840-1937
Seventh President of Ohio University, 1872-1883
Native of Athens County and educated at Ohio University, Dr.
Scott came to the presidency at age 32 from his professorship of
philosophy at the University, the first alumnus to attain the
presidency. He was an ordained Methodist minister. Active in
seeking direct financial support from the state legislature, he
obtained funds to refurbish the buildings, to build a chapel
building, and to improve the grounds. The first state funds were
used to repair Cutler Hall. During his term a teacher training
course was introduced, a degree was awarded a woman for the first
time, and a woman faculty member (Miss Cynthia Weld) was employed
The University's rival to the North, originally named the
Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College (now O.S.U.) opened in
1873 just after Miami University closed down for twelve years and
the whole Hocking valley suffered a terrible flood. In 1879 the
libraries of the Literary Society and the College were merged
into a central library. In 1880 President Scott began a campaign
to have Ohio, Miami, and Ohio State universities combined. In
1883 he resigned and was named president of Ohio State
Athens, OH 45701
|Copyright © 2016 Ohio University.
All Rights Reserved.