Harry B. Crewson, Ph.D., 1913-2003
Seventeenth President of Ohio University, 1974-1975
Educated at the College of Wooster and Ohio State
University, Dr. Crewson moved to the presidency from his 25 year
professorship of economics. He was responsible for the
organization of the Ohio University Employees Credit Union in
1955. He also mediated several disputes between the University
and its unions as well as the city and its employees, ending or
averting strikes. Prior to 1974 Dr. Crewson served as an Athens
County Commissioner and had been elected president of the Athens
City Council six times during which time he initiated an annual
craft fair and saw the voters pass the first city income tax. He
was elected by the Trustees to serve for the interim from
September 1, 1974, until the Presidential Search Committee's
efforts resulted in the election and installment of a permanent
president, which occurred exactly one year later. Dr. Crewson
brought a deliberate, yet forthright approach to issues.
Intensive construction projects continued on the regional
campuses. On the Athens campus, where enrollment continued to
decline, considerable progress was made on a budget stabilization
plan. This effort was aided by reduced tensions and stress
nationwide and on campus. In 1975 (after waiting 152 years) Ohio
University finally got its medical college, the state's first
osteopathic medical school.
Upon completion of his term, Dr. Crewson returned to his
department as Trustee Professor of economics, the second person
to be so honored with this title.
Athens, OH 45701
|Copyright © 2016 Ohio University.
All Rights Reserved.