Elmer Burritt Bryan, A.B., LL.D., L.H.D., 1865-1934
Eleventh President of Ohio University, 1921-1934
Born in Ohio and reared in Indiana, Dr. Bryan was educated
at Indiana, Harvard, and Clark universities. He came to the
presidency from the same position at Colgate University. With
teacher preparation the dominant program, resulting in women
students outnumbered men by a large margin, arts and
preprofessional programs designed to provide a base and balance
for a true university, and to attract more men, was promoted.
Trustees' life appointments were changed to limited terms in 1921
and the same year the last original tree on the green died. A
Men's Union was organized in 1922. The first correspondence
courses were offered in 1924. Inter-college athletics were
encouraged through construction of a men's gymnasium, a stadium,
and joining the Buckeye Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The
addition of Memorial Auditorium in 1929 brought a new sense of
unity among students and Chubb Library in 1931 a heightened sense
of scholarship. Membership in the Association of American
Colleges and Universities was attained, as was recognition of
women graduates by the American Association of University Women.
A chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was installed.
Dr. Bryan died in office.
|Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/history/people/bryan.html) on January 25, 2006.