Built in 1965, and opened in the fall of1966,the residence hall originally housed 271 students.
Pickering Hall was named in honor of Colonel Thomas Pickering, a Revolutionary War soldier. He was one of the founders of the Newburgh Plan to the Continental Congress in 1783. Many of the ideas in the Plan were later incorporated in the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, including the provision for schools and education in the Ohio Territory.
Dick Piccard revised this file (https://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/pickering.html) on February 17, 2016.