Built in 1958, the residence hall was opened in the fall of 1959 and originally housed 300 male students.
Lincoln Hall was named in honor of Abraham Lincoln in commemoration of the sesquicentennial of Lincoln's birth year. He was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from 1861 - 1865. He was self-educated, and brought to the office personal integrity, intelligence, and humanity, plus the wholesome characteristics of his frontier upbringing. He guided the nation through its most perilous period and made a lasting impact in shaping the office of chief executive. He was regarded as the "Great Emancipator" for his actions in freeing the slaves.