James Hall is a residence hall located in the West Green, between coordinates E-4 and E-5 on the campus map. It is marked as # 97 on the map, and appears on the righthand side of the photo, above. The four story building now houses 365 students.
James Hall was named in honor of Herman Gerlach James, twelfth president of Ohio University, serving from 1935-1943. A native of Philadelphia, he was educated at the University of Illinois, Chicago, Columbia, and the University of Berlin. He was a teacher and consultant. Before coming to Ohio University he was president of the University of South Dakota. During his tenure the colleges of Arts and Education were regrouped into five colleges. A graduate college was reopened and voluntary ROTC was established. The Faculty Advisory Council was also instituted. He traveled to Brazil to promote cultural relations between the two countries at the request of the U. S. State Department.