OHIOtrivia

december 2016


Click here to return to OHIOalumni.

Q: What was the green used for before it became College Green?

THE ANSWER IS: C) Livestock pasture

Before it became College Green, the area lying north of Cutler Hall and south of Union Street was used as a field for livestock. Citizens of Athens allowed their sheep, hogs and cattle to graze on this field. It was an issue for Ohio University President Robert Wilson, who was disgusted by the accumulation of filth from the animals. After much legal back and forth with The City of Athens, the land was finally ceded to Ohio University in 1838. At this point, a fence was erected well up on the green near the college buildings.

 

Sources:
http://media.library.ohiou.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/archives
http://www.ohio.edu/people/williar4/html/PDF/OUHistory.pdf
http://media.library.ohiou.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/archives/id/1638/rec/2


© 2016 Ohio University Alumni Association. All Rights Reserved.

${.vars["generaltags__open_count"]}