Founded in 1956, Ohio University Southern is a gateway to education for residents of Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia, providing the education of a major research university while maintaining the individual attention associated with a small, exclusive college. Our vision is simple: we aim to provide the best student-centered learning experience in America.
At the same time, we strive to meet the needs of local employers and industry with relevant certificates and programs that prepare students to work in emerging new fields. In the past three years, our student population has grown 20 percent, mainly through outreach to adult learners. With high enrollment, improved facilities, and the vigor of new leadership, Ohio University Southern is gathering strength.
To ensure a strong future, we must invest in people and education. Well-trained workers and leaders are the key to a brighter future in our region and in Ohio. We are rededicating ourselves to this powerful core belief. But we can’t do it without you.
With your support, we seek to expand student access and opportunity, promote economic development, cultivate the academic experience, and strengthen outreach and partnerships.
We believe that you should support what matters most to you, so you can designate your gift to any area you desire. We have some exciting current initiatives that will benefit from your generosity:
- In 2011-2012, Ohio University Southern awarded almost 300 students with scholarships, but this number represents only a fraction of those who need it. Given the downward trend of national and state funding for education, Ohio University Southern depends largely on private support to keep students’ dreams of a higher education within reach. With your help, we seek to increase the amount of scholarship aid we can offer over the next five years. Together, we can strive to award scholarships to every deserving student.
- As one of our flagship programs, Electronic Media serves both the campus and the community. To make sure students develop the technical skills needed for tomorrow’s electronic media industry, the Electronic Media program must upgrade its current analog broadcast technology equipment to digital and high definition equipment, a move akin to the typewriter to computer technology. We must ensure that our students are trained on industry standard technologies so that they can qualify for jobs in this growing field and continue to serve our community.
- Our future lives in regional collaboration and outreach. A product of unparalleled community support, the Proctorville Center is a tremendous success story. The Center offers day, evening, and even weekend courses. Now we are prepared to take the next step. With your help, we can create a walking trail, improve the aesthetics for the center, develop recreational and wellness facilities, create a science lab, and build a multi-purpose building. All of these strategic improvements will help the Proctorville Center respond to the requests and needs of its community and students.
- Nursing is a premiere program at Southern, and this past year we’ve been working hard to bring a BSN program to campus. When the program is up and running in 2012, our students will need additional facilities that include simulation mannequins, beds, and the capacity to use our newly installed Point to Point compressed video system. High-fidelity simulation laboratories allow nursing students to engage in active learning prior to entering the hospital setting. Our goal is to educate top-notch nurses to serve the tri-state region.
- The Ohio Horse Park is one of our crown jewels, housing one of only two university sponsored, fully certified therapeutic riding center programs in the nation. It is a unique resource for our region and a point of pride in southeastern Ohio; however, it will only retain its distinguished status if it is maintained and upgraded to keep pace.
- Thanks to leadership donor Wanda Howard, plans for a new Outdoor Education Center in Hecla are underway. On more than 50 acres, plans are in place to construct an observatory, greenhouse and nursery, arboretum, recreational activity areas, hiking trails, and an amphitheater. The center will be open for public use and serve as a valuable educational resource for Ohio University Southern students, local k-12 students, and teachers. You can join us in supporting this exciting initiative.
This is your chance to stand with the Ohio University Southern and make a significant difference in our region and our state. The outcomes will be dramatic. Partners, like you, will undoubtedly be recognized as visionaries who collaborated with us to face the challenges of the next century.
Your gift – no matter the amount – makes a huge difference.
To make an immediate gift to Ohio University Southern online using your credit or debit card, please visit Ohio University's Make a Gift site and select "Southern Campus" from the designation drop down menu.
To mail a gift, please make your check payable to The Ohio University Foundation. If you wish to designate your gift to a certain area, please write that in the memo line of the check.
The mailing address is:
The Ohio University Foundation
PO Box 869
Athens, OH 45701-0869
If you prefer to make your gift over the phone, have questions about giving to Ohio University Southern, or would like to discuss other giving opportunities, please contact:
Sarah Diamond Burroway
Riffe, 2nd Floor
Director of External Relations, Southern Campus