40.005: Performance Evaluation Program for
Administrative Presidential Appointees
|Approved on October 28, 2002||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|September 1, 2002||
|James E. Kemper|
Assistant V.P. for Administration
for Human Resources
|Nancy Prichard Crist, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Administration
- To provide policy and procedures for the justification of action regarding appointment renewal and salary status, through performance evaluation.
- It is the policy of Ohio University that actions regarding appointment renewal and salary status should originate at the departmental level with systematic performance evaluation of each administrative employee by the immediate supervisor.
The performance evaluation should be a continuing. ongoing activity occurring regularly through effective supervision in the process of communicating work assignments, monitoring activity, identifying requirements for improvement, and critiquing the quality and quantity of employee productivity.
Prior to March 15th each year, the immediate supervisor shall review the performance record of each administrative presidential appointees.
A formal performance evaluation will occur at least annually with the supervisor scheduling and holding a performance interview. The evaluation must be in writing and signed by the supervisor and employee. Performance evaluations are not grievable.
See also Policy 40.106, "Administrative Appointments."
I. Satisfactory Performance
- In the case of an employee whose performance is satisfactory, it is required that a written summary of the evaluation be completed. This document should contain at least a statement verifying that the interview took place and that the employee has performed satisfactorily and is eligible for salary increase as University funding permits. Copies of this document should be sent to the employee, to the supervisor's immediate supervisor and to the appropriate executive officer by March 15th.
II. Marginal or Unsatisfactory Performance
- In the case of an employee who has performed marginally or unsatisfactorily, the immediate supervisor will consult with his or her immediate supervisor. A written summary for the evaluation specifying the reasons for the marginal or unsatisfactory performance will be prepared and sent to the employee with a copy to the supervisor's immediate supervisor and the appropriate executive officer by March 15th.
An employee who is disciplined has the right to grieve under Ohio University Policy 41.011, "Grievance Procedure for Administrative Presidential Appointees."
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Director of Legal Affairs
- There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
Dick Piccard revised this file (https://www.ohio.edu/policy/40-005.html) on March 23, 2016.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".