When Hudson Health Center opened in 1949, it was considered one of the most outstanding student health centers in the nation. The 40-bed center was opened to treat student illnesses and injuries, to provide dental care, and to provide mental health services. The staff included eight physicians.
Ellis Herndon Hudson
Hudson Health Center is named in honor of Ellis Herndon Hudson. Born in Osaka, Japan, of American missionary parents, he was educated at Milliken Univeristy and University of Pennsylvania. He was an instructor at the American University of Beirut for one year after graduation. He founded a medical mission and hospital in Syria under the Presbyterian church. He came to Ohio University in 1940 as Director of Health Services. In 1950, he worked with the World Health Organization in Iraq. He retired from Ohio University in 1955. He died in Duarte, CA, at the age of 101.