The Ohio Fellows Program...
...a non-traditional scholars program… an individually tailored, interactive educational encounter that unlocks and advances the inherent potential in students. The Ohio Fellows program fosters in-depth learning, and engagement through close collaboration with visiting scholars, faculty, peers, and Ohio Fellows alumni.
The Ohio Fellows Program, which begins in the sophomore year, offers:
- In-depth learning and intellectual engagement through close collaboration with faculty, peers, and Ohio Fellows alumni
- Academic enrichment and personal growth for men and women of promise
- An inclusive community of inquisitive and creative students, faculty, and alumni
- Research and travel support
- Unique access to faculty, visiting scholars, and an extensive alumni network
- Mentoring, academic dialogue, and scholarly development
A look back at Ohio Fellows' fall 2013
- Weekly discussions of leadership with faculty, Fellows, alumni, and campus leaders
- Six alumni presenters
- Two other distinguished guest speakers
- One weekend seminar
- In January 2014, the Fellows traveled to New York City
An examination of leadership in the public/private nexus through visits to the Guggenheim Museum, the Tenement Museum, Highline Park, and seminars with two accomplished alumni Fellows in the NYC area.
Resources and Articles
From James Chrisman, Ohio Fellow:
For me, the Fellows boils down to having your ideas and your ambitions taken seriously—and then having those ideas challenged and those ambitions facilitated. I started a literary journal this year, which would be nonexistent without the support of the Fellows, and this experience is now the crux of my internship applications. My Fellows mentor, Dr. Polly Young-Eisendrath, also brought me along with her to a meeting with Tricycle Magazine, where I had the privilege of observing the professional version of my current passion projects.
From Tristan Cormack, Ohio Fellow:
The Ohio Fellows program is remarkable because it provides an opportunity for a diverse group of students to comfortably discuss pertinent topics. It brings together students that work well with each other but otherwise wouldn't have an opportunity to meet as we are all in different majors and colleges. It has helped me broaden my horizons and feel much less anxious about deciding what path to take. The Fellows Program will bring you in contact with successful alumni, a lot of whom, like me, were unsure of what path they would take when they were in school. This has given me hope and makes things a little less stressful amid the overwhelming amount of choices and decisions that we face at this time in our lives.
From Camille Rose Smith, Ohio Fellow:
The Ohio Fellows program has not only given me the resources and support I need to reach my goals, but they've also pushed me to bigger and better aspirations. We are given the opportunity to learn from experts in different fields, open our minds to others' beliefs and opinions, and explore our own interests through our mentors and peers. I will be the first to admit that I didn't know what I was getting into when I first applied for this program, but through the interview process, I was able to realize that the Ohio Fellows was definitely something I needed to be a part of. Little did I know, that this program would become a major asset to my life. The Faculty Fellows are always there to challenge my thinking, but also offer support and clarity. I look forward to the next two and a half years in the program.
Apply to the Ohio Fellows Program
- Freshmen with a passionate determination for excellence and accomplishment, and a desire to distinguish themselves are encouraged to apply.
- The 2014 Ohio Fellows application cycle is closed.
- The 2015 Ohio Fellows application will open at the start of spring semester in 2015.
- Email email@example.com for more information.