It is our goal to help you reach your full academic potential. Tutoring Services offers FREE academic support for undergraduates currently enrolled on the Athens campus through the Math Center, Science Center, Supplemental Instruction, and Study Skills Instruction at the Academic Advancement Center in 101 Alden Library.
If you can't make it to the AAC or need help in a different subject, take advantage of Peer Tutoring. Peer Tutoring is NOT FREE. For more information click on Peer Tutoring.
Advantages of Tutoring
- You will be able to ask the questions you did not ask in class.
- You will gain a better understanding of the material from tutors who have mastered the coursework.
- You will be able to test your knowledge with a tutor that knows the material well.
- You will be better prepared to participate in class.
- You will be better prepared for exams, assignments, projects, and presentations.
What to expect
- Engage students in a discussion about what they know about a particular subject.
- Help students determine what they don't know about a particular subject area; allowing them to find answers among their academic materials (textbook, notes, etc.).
- Ask students questions to help transfer knowledge into long-term memory.
- Create opportunities for students to practice what they are learning by providing mini-quizzes or creating/accessing practice problems or drills.
- Review notes, homework assignments, projects, quizzes, tests and exams, etc. to identify strengths and weaknesses.
Tutors will not:
- Complete a homework assignment, project, quiz, test, exam, etc.
- Teach. Tutoring does not take the place of class attendance.
- Attend class in place of a student.
- Engage in any form of academic dishonesty.
- Guarantee an "A."
Prepare for your sessions.
- Attend class regularly.
- Don't procrastinate. Schedule a tutoring appointment early in the semester. Don't wait until mid-term or finals week.
- Attend all of your scheduled tutoring appointments.
- Bring your textbooks, notes, pen/pencil, and other necessary materials to each tutoring session.
- Identify your areas of concern. Share this with your tutor at the beginning of the session.
- Participate actively in all aspects of the tutoring session.
- You can cancel your appointment no less than 8 hours in advance if you are unable to attend a scheduled session.
- 3 missed sessions and you will not be allowed to make appointments. We serve a large number of students! Stop by the AAC if you have been blocked from the system.
- Tutoring is not a guaranteed service. We will do our best to find a tutor for your course. It can take up to 2 or more weeks to fulfill your requests. Sign up for tutoring early in the semester!
Become a facebook fan of OU Academic Advancement Center where you can find information about Tutoring Services and more!