The roots of Communication Week in the Scripps College of Communication date back to 1968, when the School of Journalism held its first Journalism Week in early May and awarded the first Carr Van Anda Awards "for enduring contributions to journalism" to Turner Catledge, Edward W. Barrett and Walter Cronkite.
In 1970, Journalism Week was changed to Communication Week to incorporate the entire college. The annual event included events, speakers and panel discussions designed to encourage student interaction with prominent leaders in the communication field and draw alumni to campus.
Over the years, the Scripps College has hosted such notable professionals as Rev. Jesse Jackson(1998), Peter Arnett (1992), Roger Ailes (1989), Ted Turner and Hugh Downs (1982). After 37 years of annual Communication Week activities, in 2006, events were no longer held during a concentrated five-day period, but spread throughout Ohio University's ten-week spring quarter.
Communication Week returns to Ohio University March 18 through 22, 2013.
Events are as follows:
Monday, March 18:
- 7 p.m. Keynote Event: A Discussion with Candy Crowley and Leon Harris, Memorial Auditorium. Join CNN's Candy Crowley and alumnus Leon Harris of WJLA-TV in Washington, D.C. for a conversation about the industry!
Tuesday, March 19:
- 9:30 a.m., VisCom Day :: Hands-on trade show of equipment for students and faculty hosted by Midwest Photo Exchange featuring gear from Canon, Nikon, Cinevate, Sennheiser, WACOM Design Tablets, Profoto and more, Baker Center Ballroom A. There’s something for everyone.
- 10:30 a.m., VisCom Day :: Interactive panel of recent VisCom grads including Zach Inscho, Chris Sinclair, Annette Drapac, Kiersten Bonifant and possibly Ryan Ford via video chat, Baker Center Ballroom A
- 11:40 a.m., VisCom Day :: Profoto product highlight, Baker Center Ballroom A
- 1:30-2:30 p.m., VisCom Day :: Google 5 panel via Google hangout - interactive session for creative thinking and problem solving, Baker Ballroom A
- 3 - 3:45 p.m., VisCom Day :: Sennheiser product highlight
- 4 - 5 p.m., VisCom Day :: Brian Smith, Baker Center Ballroom A, Brian Smith is an American portrait photographer best known for portraits of actors, business leaders, politicians, and athletes that are at once stylish and telling for the past 30 years, Brian Smith's iconic portraits of famous celebrities, athletes and executives have been used in advertising, by corporations and have graced the covers and pages of hundreds of magazines including Sports Illustrated, ESPN the Magazine, Time, Forbes, New York Times Magazine, Elle and British GQ. His awards include the Pulitzer Prize, American Photography, Communication Arts Photography Awards, World Press Photo, Pictures of the Year, Best of Photojournalism, American Photo magazine’s New Faces in Photography, AltPick Awards and Photo District News Awards.
- 7:30 p.m., "Memorialization of US College and University Tragedies: Spaces of Mourning and Remembrance" by Ken Foote, Baker Center Theater
Wednesday, March 20:
- 6 p.m., Scripps Celebration, Walter Hall Rotunda. Come one, come all for a carnival-themed celebration of the Scripps College Celebration! Highlights include the presentation of staff, faculty and student awards. The finalists for the Scripps Innovation Challenge will be announced. Hot dogs, ice cream and other carnival foods will be served.
Thursday, March 21:
- 9 a.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Verizon Speaker, Baker 240.
- 9:45 a.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: James Sullivan, AT&T, Baker 240
- 10:30 a.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Alumni Panel, Baker 240
- 11:15 a.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Damon Cockrel, Sprint, Baker 240
- Noon - 3 p.m., ComSubstantiality Research Colloquiums, Alden Library Faculty Commons
- 1:20 p.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Keynote Speaker: Linda Kenworthy, Intel Americas, Baker Ballroom B
- 2:25 p.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Neil Okonak, BSC '02, Accenture Challenge, Baker Ballroom B
- 2:35 p.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Appalachian Broadband Review - Connect Ohio, Baker Ballroom B
- 3:30 p.m., COMS 1030 Speech Contest, Bentley Hall 240
- 4 p.m., ITS Day, Connected Everywhere :: Appalachian Broadband Review, Q&A, Baker Ballroom B
- 5:15 p.m., COMS Awards Presentation and Reception, Baker Ballroom A
Friday, March 22:
- 7 p.m., MDIA Event: "Creating a Show and a Brand" by Ryan Ling, creator of "GuyCode" on MTV2. Ryan will speak about his career, creating the show, and working with a network to keep the voice consistent, Baker Center Theater