EHS requires a permit for recreational or ceremonial fires. For permits please call 593-1666 and print out the form below. Please allow ten (10) days to process.
To comply with Athens City Fire Department Burn Law effective 8/29/06Please note:
- The "Safety Requirements for Ceremonial or Recreational Fires" permit form must be signed by the appropriate Facilities Management (593-2911) Grounds (593-0460) representative, and then delivered to 175 University Service Center, Environmental Health & Safety for approval.
- Recreational or Ceremonial fire size: maximum fuel size 3'; diameter by 2' height.
- The Athens Fire Department will not issue fire permits. Fires that exceed the (Athens City) codes and restrictions shall not be allowed within the City and will be extinguished. A fire report shall be completed, with individuals responsible for the fire listed on the report. Repeated responses to the same fire may result in a citation being issued through the prosecutor's office.
- Fire Extinguishers- At least one portable fire extinguisher with minimum rating 4-A, two portable fire extinguishers with minimum rating 2-A each, or other approved on-site fire extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water buckets, garden hose or water truck.
- Call Facilities Management, 593-2911 to request extinguishers from the Life Safety Shop.
- Notify the Athens City Fire Department (Columbus Rd, 592-3301) prior to igniting the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if the fire creates a safety hazard or you can't control it.