Ohio University HomeEnvironmental Health and Safety Environmental Health & Safety


Serious water damage can occur from a flooding of the Hocking River and storm sewers.

If flooding is observed:

  • Call Emergency Maintenance (593-2911) or Ohio University Police (593-1911) immediately. Report the exact location and severity of the flooding.
  • Move to higher ground. Do not attempt to walk or drive through flooded areas.
  • If caught in a building that has become surrounded with water or stranded in some other area call 911 for assistance.
  • Be prepared to assist as directed in protecting objects that are in jeopardy. Take only essential steps to avoid or reduce immediate water damage, such as moving objects
  • Listen to 970 WATH AM radio or WOUB (Channel 20) Television to determine road closure and University closure status.
  • Check road conditions online at: http://www.buckeyetraffic.org