Student Expo seeks judges for April 10 event
The Ohio University Student Research and Creative Activity Expo is seeking faculty, staff and postdoctoral fellow judges for the event on the morning of Thursday, April 10. The Expo, held at the Convocation Center, will feature 800 student presenters from the Athens and regional campuses this year.
Why volunteer to be a judge? Here are seven reasons:
1. See a snapshot of the excellent research, scholarship and creative work completed by our undergraduate, graduate and medical students.
2. Make a difference. Students value your questions and expert feedback on their work, which can help them develop their presentations for professional dissemination.
3. Award cash prizes up to $200 for the best student presentations.
4. Meet faculty, staff and students from other disciplines. Make new connections!
5. Did we mention the free donuts, coffee and pizza?
6. We make the process easy: Just review our FAQ and short PowerPoint here: http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/grantdev/judges.cfm.
7. It's a small time commitment (9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.) for a big benefit.
To volunteer, contact Roxanne Malé-Brune at firstname.lastname@example.org or 597-1227 by Friday, March 21.
Here's what past judges have told Compass about the experience:
"It's exciting and actually motivational to see so much good work being done here at Ohio University. It gives me a sense of pride and appreciation for the strength and diversity of the university." – Eric Stinaff, physics and astronomy
"You have the opportunity to talk one-on-one with students from myriad Ohio University colleges and schools about their interests. You get to experience the breadth and depth of some amazing projects, and you get to learn something new." – Carolyn Bailey Lewis, media arts and studies
"It is a wonderful and amazing experience as a professor to get to see both the creative activity and the research that is being done by our students. Some of it is as good as, if not better than, what is going on in the industry." – Stan Alost, visual communication