Education Benefit Payment Rates
For payment information select Education Benefit Payment Rates.
The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Coordinator at Ohio University closely monitor each student veteran's enrollment status and academic program. The student's educational benefit is based upon the number of credit hours applicable to his/her academic degree program.
Student veterans at Ohio University have the following responsibilities:
Veterans are required to complete the Veterans Educational Assistance File Card at the beginning of each fall and summer semester, or the semester in which they begin receiving educational benefits.
The Veterans Administration must be notified within 30 days of changes in your enrollment status. Please contact the Veterans Coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar, Chubb Hall 115K, if:
- you terminate attendance
- you change credit hours
- you withdraw or stop attending a course
- you attend a course but receive an Incomplete (I) grade
- you change educational program
- you change address or phone number
- your status changes to active duty
Reminders: (If you have any questions contact the Veterans Coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar, Chubb Hall 115K.)
- You must maintain satisfactory progress to retain benefits.
- You are prohibited from receiving educational benefits for auditing a course.
- You will not receive benefits for repeated courses, unless they are graduation requirements.
- You must be formally admitted as a degree-seeking student after completing two semesters.
- Register only for courses that are required for completion of your selected degree.
- Do not register in courses for which you have previously received a passing grade/credit (even if taken at another institution).
As a recipient of Educational Benefits:
- You are eligible for payment of remedial courses if placement test scores justify the need.
- Any overpayments incurred are your responsibility and not the responsibility of the Office of the Registrar at Ohio University.
What to do if Called to Active Duty
Registered students called to active duty during the course of a semester or session should follow the guidelines in Ohio University Policy & Procedure 12.060: Students Called to Active Duty.
How do I return to Ohio University?
If you have attended Ohio University previously and wish to return:
- Undergraduate students - contact the Office of the University Registrar, first floor lobby, Chubb Hall, or your regional campus student services office for assistance. Students who have attended since 1985 must complete the Re-enrollment Form. Students who have not attended since 1985 must complete the Application for Re-enrollment.
- Graduate students - contact the Graduate College, Research and Technology Center, Room 220.
Contact the Veterans Coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar, Chubb Hall 115K to get your VA benefits started.
Academic Advising and Success
The Coordinator of Veterans' Academic Services is available to discuss your concerns or ideas regarding campus policies, procedures, or programming; withdrawal before deployment; and re-enrollment after deployment. Visit www.ohio.edu/students/veterans for more information.
Tutorial Assistance Program
Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA education assistance at the half-time or more rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. If you have questions on this program please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at their toll-free number 1.888.442.4551.
Work Study Program
This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three-quarter time or more. An individual working under this program may work at the school veterans' office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facilities, or at approved State employment offices. Work-study students are paid at either the state or Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you have questions on this program contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at their toll-free number 1.888.442.4551.
Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office
Eligibility and payment questions should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office at:
Department of Veterans Affairs
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
Ohio University Veterans Coordinator
If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Veterans Coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar during normal office hours:
Office of the University Registrar
Athens, OH 45701
Ohio University Military Personnel & Veterans
Additional information to assist Ohio National Guardsman, military reservists, and veterans currently enrolled or working at Ohio University is available on the OHIO Military Personnel & Veterans Web site.
Government Web Sites
- Ohio Department of Veterans Services - The department links veterans to their federal and state benefit application process at all 88 county veterans service offices. Social media and veterans news updates are also available.
Tasha Hutchisonrevised this page on February 25, 2014. Please email comments or suggestions to email@example.com.