Registrar Banner

Frequently Asked Questions and Their Answers

Table of Contents

Questions of Interest to Prospective Students

Questions of Interest to Current and Continuing Students

Questions of Interest to Graduating Students

Questions of Interest to Alumni and Former Students

Please email any additional questions that need answers

What do I need to do to return to Ohio University after taking off a term or more (re-enroll)?

You are considered to be a "re-enrolling student" if you take a fall or spring term off, and then decide to return to Ohio University. Taking the summer off does not make you a re-enrolling student.

Re-enrolling students should follow the procedures listed here, which depend on the date of the most recent term that you did register for classes.

  • Undergraduate students should contact the Office of the University Registrar, first floor lobby, Chubb Hall, or their regional campus student services office for assistance. Students who have attended since 1985 (i.e., student record is in the student information system) must complete the Re-enrollment Form. Students who have not attended since 1985 must complete the Application for Re-enrollment.
  • Graduate students should contact the Graduate College, Research and Technology Center 220, for assistance.

Return to Table of Contents

How do I update my address and/or phone number?

  • Sign in to My OHIO Student Center. In the Personal Information section your contact information will be displayed and will be available for updates.
  • Go to Registrar Services, Chubb Hall, and request a change of address. With a photo ID, the change of address can be processed while you wait. Regional campus students may contact the regional campus student services office.
  • Visit the Office of the University Registrar's Web page,, and select Forms. Select the Address Change Form. Print, complete, and sign the form and either fax (740.593.0216) or mail to the Office of the University Registrar, Chubb Hall, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701.
International students with F-1 or J-1 visa status are required to use the online address service to update addresses.

Return to Table of Contents

What is a hold and how do I clear it?

Some students may find that they are prevented from registering, receiving their diploma, transcript, or receiving other University services because a hold has been placed on their academic record. Holds are placed when students fail to meet financial or other obligations to the university.

To have a hold released, the student must contact the office which placed the hold and fulfill their obligation.

Alden Library Alden Library 416 740.593.2695
Bursar's Office Chubb Hall 010 740.593.4130
Chillicothe Campus Bennett Hall 740.774.7200
Eastern Campus Shannon Hall, First Floor 740.695.1720
Financial Aid Office Chubb Hall 020 740.593.4141
Judiciaries Office Baker Center 349 740.593.2629
Lancaster Campus Brasee Hall 353 740.654.6711
Registrar's Office Chubb Hall 115J 740.593.4191
Southern Campus Academic Center 740.533.4600
Zanesville Campus Elson Hall 740.453.0762

Return to Table of Contents

How can I get a copy of my class schedule?

Your class schedule is available immediately upon registration and can be viewed online.  Notifications to check your schedule will be sent periodically.

Student OHIO ID and password are required for registering for classes.  Information about your student OHIO ID and password is available on the OIT website.

To obtain your class schedule:

Sign in to My OHIO Student Center
  • click on "other academic... " drop-down box
  • choose "Class Schedule"
  • click arrow

Spring 2010-11 schedule or schedule for prior terms:

Go to

Return to Table of Contents

How do I get a copy of my grade report?

Grades are available approximately one week after the term closing date, and you will be notified when they are available.

To view grades:

Sign in to My OHIO Student Center
  • click on "other academic... " drop-down box
  • choose "Grades"
  • click arrow

Return to Table of Contents

How do I calculate my grade point average?

A student's grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of hours of credit attempted. For example, if a student earned a C (2.0) and a B (3.0) in each of two three-hour courses, first multiply the number of hours in each course by the grade point value for that grade (3 x 2 = 6 and 3 x 3 = 9) and add the grade points for each course together to find the total number of grade points (15). Then add the number of hours attempted (3 + 3 = 6) and divide the total number of grade points by the total hours attempted (15/6 = 2.5). The student's GPA after completing the two classes would be 2.5. A student's GPA is figured only on credit hours attempted--courses for which the student receives letter grades (A-F), FN (failure, never attended), or FS (failure, stopped attending). FN and FS have the same value as an F. Grades of P (pass) and CR (credit) represent hours earned but are not used to calculate the GPA.

Return to Table of Contents

How do I get a copy of my diploma or a replacement diploma?

Ohio University does not provide copies of diplomas. To obtain a replacement diploma, you must submit a notarized affidavit attesting that the original diploma has been lost, destroyed, never received, or you had a legal name change. In case of a legal name change, you also must return the original diploma. The fee for replacement is $15.00. Please print and complete the Replacement Diploma Request form and mail with proper payment. The replacement diploma will carry current titles and signatures of University officers. It also will carry the notation "official replacement." Please allow four to six weeks for delivery.

If you have additional questions please call the Registrar's Office at 740.593.4196 or email

Return to Table of Contents

How do I protect my privacy?


Students who do not want their directory/public information released to third parties or students who do not want to be listed in the Ohio University online people search must complete the Ohio University Confidentiality Status form (available HERE).

It should be understood that by exercising the option for non-disclosure of directory/public information, enrollment/degree verification for employment may be performed only with a signed consent form from the student.  Also, the student will not be listed in the graduation commencement program. Confidentiality status is permanent unless removed by written request from the student.

Return to Table of Contents

How do I apply for graduation and why

GRADUATION IS NOT AUTOMATIC! To graduate, all students, undergraduate, graduate, and medical, must apply online at no later than the application deadline listed for the term in which graduation is planned.

The submission of a graduation application initiates the graduation process, which leads to the official conferral or denial of the degree by each college. When a degree is conferred the Graduation Division of the Registrar's Office will include the degree notation on the student's official transcript, order and mail their diploma, print the student's name in the commencement program, and verify the award of the degree to prospective employers. Click here for detailed information on the Graduation Process - Quick Reference.

If a student applies for graduation and the degree is denied, the student may reapply for their degree during the term they intend to complete their graduation requirements.

Return to Table of Contents

How do I qualify to graduate with honor?

If you receive a bachelor's degree and you graduate with an accumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.500 to 3.749, your accomplishment will be recognized by the notation "Cum Laude" on your diploma and transcript; if your GPA is 3.750 to 3.899, the honor is "Magna Cum Laude" and if your GPA is 3.900 to 4.000, the honor is "Summa Cum Laude."

To be eligible for honors, you must complete a minimum of 48 quarter hours/30 semester hours of letter grades that affect our GPA in residence at Ohio University. The honors printed in the commencement program for spring semester candidates are tentative, according to the student's most recent accumulative GPA prior to spring semester. Final honors will be determined after final grades are processed.

Return to Table of Contents

When and where will my diploma be mailed?

Your diploma will be mailed to you approximately eight weeks after graduation to the address supplied on your application. Diplomas are sent via First Class mail. Please notify the Graduation Department via email at, or call 740.593.4196 if your diploma mailing address changes.

Diplomas will not be mailed for students on financial or other holds until the holds are released. Diplomas are issued by Ohio University in the following sizes: Associate's Degree 11W x 8.5H, Bachelor's and Master's Degree 14W x 11H, Doctoral and Medical - 15W x 12H.

If you have any questions concerning your diploma, please email or call 740.593.4196.

Return to Table of Contents

What if I want to change the way my name appears on my diploma?

When applying for graduation, the way your name appears in Ohio University's student information system will be the name on your diploma. If there is a discrepancy between the name you wish to appear on your diploma and the name we have for you in the student information system, you must contact the Office of the University Registrar, Graduation Division, with supporting documentation. You will need to submit a copy of one of the following:

•  Passport
•  Court action document
•  Divorce decree (the appropriate page of the decree)
•  Marriage certificate
•  Valid driver's license and social security card (you must submit both)
•  Federal or state issued identification card and a social security card (you must submit both)

You may submit documents to the Office of the University Registrar, Graduation Division, Chubb Hall, Athens, Ohio 45701, or fax the information to the Office of the University Registrar, Attention Graduation, at 740.593.0216.

Regional campus students who need to change their name may present appropriate documentation to the student services office at their regional campus, mail the information to the above address, or fax the information to the above fax number.

Return to Table of Contents

Who is eligible to participate in commencement and how do I purchase my cap and gown?

At the close of spring semester, Ohio University holds one annual graduate commencement ceremony, two annual undergraduate commencement ceremonies, and one annual medical commencement ceremony.

To be eligible to participate in commencement, have your name listed in the commencement program, and purchase a cap and gown, you must have already been conferred for graduation the previous summer or fall term or have filed a valid graduation application for the spring semester.

Click here for information about cap and gown.

Return to Table of Contents

Where can I get information about commencement?

The Office of Event Services coordinates the commencement ceremony including the sale of caps and gowns. Information about commencement is available at their website or you may email their office at or call 740.593.1762.

Click here for How to apply for graduation.
Click here for the application deadlines.

Click here for information about commencement.

Return to Table of Contents

Tasha Hutchison revised this page on February 25, 2014. Please email comments or suggestions to

Office of the University Registrar
Chubb Hall
Phone: 740.593.4191
Fax: 740.593.0216

All Rights Reserved