The President's Residence, located across from Alden Library, has been the home of Ohio University presidents since 1952. Living on campus enables the president to be more actively involved in University events.
The home was built in 1899 for Clinton L. Poston, a wealthy coal mine owner and business executive. During the early 1920s, the mansion became the home of Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Biddle. Mrs. Biddle was the daughter of C.L. Poston. From 1923 to 1925 the Biddles extensively remodeled the home. Ohio University acquired the property in 1951 from Mrs. Biddle. After some redecorating of the garage apartment and house, President and Mrs. John C. Baker moved into the house in 1952. The mansion was again redecorated in 1960 and extensive remodeling was done in 1995.