Motor Pool Vehicle Rentals
The Motor Pool has passenger cars, vans, a station wagon and a pick up truck available for renting to departments for official University business.
To reserve a vehicle, call 593-1611 and provide the following information.
- Type of vehicle desired
- Intended use and destination
- Date and time of departure
- Date and time of return
- Department name
- Department account number
- Name of licensed driver who will be responsible for vehicle
NOTE:Normally, University vehicles are not available to be driven to the Columbus or Parkersburg airports and left there during the week. Weekends (Friday through Monday) can be exceptions if enough vehicles are available.
B. Rates - The rental rates are subject to change depending upon gasoline costs, purchase costs of vehicles, etc. To provide some estimate of the costs, however, the following rates were in effect at the time this policy was written. Actual current rates will be provided when reservations are made.
Small size car $ 5.00
Medium size car 5.00
Medium size station wagon 10.00
8 Passenger Van 10.00
12 Passenger Van 10.00
15 Passenger Van 10.00
Pick Up Truck 10.00
[Here begins page 2 of the hardcopy version.]
(The daily rental rate will be assessed if a vehicle is reserved but not used, and the individual or department reserving the vehicle fails to cancel the reservation 24 hours prior to the stated time of departure.)
C.Pick up and Return of Vehicles
The University Garage (Motor Pool) is open from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Vehicles not being used for out-of-town trips must be returned to the University Garage each night; however, vehicles returning from out-of-town after 5:00 p.m. may be parked at the driver's residence and returned BEFORE 7:00 a.m. the next morning. Vehicles to be used for out-of-town travel for which departure is scheduled before 7:00 a.m. may be picked up BEFORE 4:30 p.m. the prior day.
NOTE:Failure to pick up the vehicle before 4:30 p.m. means that the vehicle will not be available until 7:00 a.m. on the next scheduled work day.
- When a vehicle is picked up, information regarding keys, gasoline credit cards and trip tickets will be given to the driver who is responsible for the security of the car, keys and credit card. The driver is also responsible for the completion and return of all trip tickets.
- When the vehicle is picked up, the driver will also be given instructions to follow in case of an accident, and/or mechanical failure. The driver of the University vehicle is responsible for the proper care of the vehicle while it is in his or her custody. Damages to the vehicle resulting from accidents or other causes will be assessed to the using department and/or the driver if it is determined that the driver is at fault. Any time damages are sustained by a vehicle, the circumstances should be reported to the department head renting the vehicle, the supervisor of the University Garage and the Director of Security at the time the vehicle is returned.
The University has two buses for official University business that may be chartered by a University department. One bus can accommodate 41 passengers and the other is a 46 passenger bus. Both are driven by University bus drivers on both short and long trips.
Information regarding bus reservations can be obtained by calling 593-1611.
[Here begins page 3 of the hardcopy version.]
- The buses are often reserved months in advance and early reservations are encouraged to ensure availability. All reservations are on a first-come, first serve basis.
- A bus reservation form will be forwarded to the requesting department. The form should be completed and returned to the University Garage. This form requests information regarding destination, time of departure, time of return, number of passengers, sponsoring department, purpose of trip, account number and responsible official.
- Upon receipt of the bus reservation form, an estimate of expenses will be provided, if requested; and the bus will be reserved for the dates indicated, if available.
The following rates are subject to change and are provided as a general guide and indication of the types of expenses that are charged for the chartering of the University bus.
Actual cost of wages and benefits to the University for the driver involved.
- Driver Rate per hour
Mileage Rate per mile
(in addition to driver rate) $.50
Meal Rate per driver
Actual Cost per Policy #41.121
Lodging Accommodations for driver
Actual Cost per Policy #41.121
Toll bridge, Toll road and parking charges
(These charges will be paid by the driver and billed on an actual cost basis to bus users.)
The minimum charge shall be $50.00
A minimum charge of one-half (1/2) the estimated cost of the trip scheduled will be assessed to the department reserving the bus for failure to cancel a reservation less than one week prior to the time of the scheduled departure. The assessed amount shall not, however, be less then the minimum specified in #6.
C. Additional Bus Use Policies
- The department which has reserved the bus must specify a person to be responsible for the passengers while they are on the bus.
- Horseplay, smoking and alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the bus and the individual identified by the sponsoring department is responsible for ensuring compliance with these requirements as the driver must concentrate on driving.
[Here begins page 4 of the hardcopy version.]
- The sponsoring department is responsible for all damages that may be caused by passengers during the trip.
- Occasionally, weather conditions and other factors, may cause the driver of the bus to determine that the safety of the passengers and/or the bus may be jeopardized by continued travel. If this determination is made by the driver the bus trip shall not continue until the driver determines that the conditions are improved.