SUPERCEDED on June 4, 2009
Procedure No.: 42.550
Page No.: 1,2,3 and 4 of 4
Date Issued: 05/15/87
Issued By: Carol Harter
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
- To place certain restrictions on solicitation of employees (including student employees) and distribution of literature within the buildings and facilities of Ohio University campuses to ensure that university employees have the opportunity to perform their duties free from intrusions.
- It is the policy of Ohio University that no solicitation of employees and/or distribution of literature will be permitted within buildings on campus unless the solicitation or distribution of literature is in accordance with the content, requirements and restriction of this policy.
Solicitation by Employees:
- Soliciting by one employee of another employee for any purpose is prohibited during either employee's work time.
- An employee may distribute literature only in a non-work area and only if all employees involved are on non-work time.
- Use of the university internal campus mail system by employees for solicitation purposes is prohibited.
Leaves of Absence to Conduct an Organization's Business:
- Any requests by employees for leaves of absence in order to conduct an organization's business must be made in accordance with the normal university leave policies and shall be subject to the operational needs of the university as determined by the appropriate department head.
Solicitation by Non-Employees and Organizations:
- Any non-employee or organization who intends to solicit employees or distribute literature for any purpose must request permission, in writing, at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to each proposed visit; the request should be submitted to the Director of University Personnel Services, 44 University Terrace, McKee House, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701, or the Director's designee, stating the purpose of the proposed visit and the name of any person(s) who desire access to any campus of Ohio University.
- The Director of University Personnel Services or his designee will attempt to locate an appropriate designated area for use by the non-employee or organization
[Here begins page 2 of the hardcopy version.]
submitting the request and will then issue a permit designating the appropriate room and the date and time it may be used In the event two or more requests for access to an appropriate designated area for the same or overlapping times have been received, the university will attempt to provide alternate appropriate designated areas. In the event that no alternate designated area is available, the university will grant access to the available designated area on a rotating basis with equal time for its use. If the designated areas are unavailable due to a prior reservation, then the university will immediately notify the requesting party of such conflict.
- An organisation or non-employee may not distribute literature or solicit employees in any work area on either the solicited employees' work time or non-work time.
- Any solicitations and distribution of literature by any organization or non-employee shall be limited to the designated area(s), date(s), and time(s) pursuant to paragraph (2) of this policy, except:
a) employees may be solicited outside of buildings and facilities if they are on non-work time
b) an organisation or non-employee may solicit or distribute literature in designated parking lots
- The use of the Ohio University internal campus mail system for solicitation purposes is prohibited, except for charitable solicitations that may be approved as defined under Section 1715.29 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Bulletin Board Posting:
- Only employees of the university may post notices, literature or other appropriate information on employee bulletin boards designated as such by the university and only after receiving prior written approval from the Personnel Director or his designee. If a notice contains information about an on-campus solicitation by an organisation, it must conform to the permission granted to the organization (in terms of designated area, time and date) for such solicitation.
- Postings shall be no larger than 82 x 14 inches and shall not be posted in such a manner as to cover any other posted material.
[Here begins page 3 of the hardcopy version.]
- Material posted on any bulletin board must be dated from the first day of posting and may remain on the bulletin boards for a maximum of fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of posting.
- No posted material shall contain derogatory remarks or personal attacks against any university employee. Such material shall constitute immediate cancellation of bulletin board posting privileges and shall be cause for discipline of university employees who post such materials.
- The university reserves the right to regulate any solicitation or distribution activities by any non-employee, organisation or employee which disrupts interferes with the normal work activity of employees Ohio University.
- Any organisation (on its own or through its employee supporters) or any non-employee violating any rule or policy contained herein shall be asked to leave the campus. Repeated violations shall be cause for banning an organization or non-employee from the campus.
- Any employee who (in his or her personal capacity or acting as an agent for any organisation or non-employee) violates any rule or policy contained herein shall be subject to disciplinary action.
Procurement and Cost of Facilities, Equipment and Miscellaneous Services for Purposes of Solicitation:
- An employee, non-employee, or any organization shall be subject to the policies and procedures of Ohio University and individual departments within the university with regard to procurement, and the normal cost thereof, of university facilities, equipment and miscellaneous services (e.g. - labor costs; rental fees and charges; food; utilities; etc.) for purposes of solicitation. Upon procurement, the responsibility for any damages or misuse of facilities and/or equipment shall be the sole responsibility of the employee, non-employee or organization.
- Soliciting means any oral advocacy of an organisation or cause or request for contribution or support thereof; any activity conducted for the purpose
[Here begins page 4 of the hardcopy version.]
of advertising, promoting, or selling any product or service, or encouraging membership in any group, association or organization.
- "Distributing literature" means the dissemination or posting of any written or graphic material, including, without limitation, flyers; notices; or any other written information or forms.
- "Designated parking lot" means an area to be determined by the Director of University Personnel Services where employees and/or visitors park motor vehicles.
- "Designated area" means a building or facility or room to be determined by the Director of University Personnel Services or his designee.
- "Designee" means a person designated by the Director of University Personnel Services to administer and regulate solicitation pursuant to this policy or the person identified to regulate other relevant policies regarding solicitation (e.g., solicitation at Baker Center, Memorial Auditorium, Memorial Auditorium Portico).
- "Organization" means a body of persons established for a specific purpose.
- "Non-employee" means any person not employed at Ohio University or any person not in active work status.
- "Non-work area" means areas to be determined by the Director of University Personnel Services or his designee and generally includes lobbies, employee lunch rooms, public areas or designated parking lots.
- "Non-work time" means approved vacation, approved leaves, scheduled lunch breaks, scheduled rest breaks and before and after scheduled work hours.
- "Work area" means areas to be determined by the Director of University Personnel Services or hiss designee, where employees perform their official duties, including, but not limited to, university buildings; work stations; offices; conference rooms; and corridors leading directly thereto which are used as an integral part of performing work.
- "Work time" means the time when employees' duties require that they be engaged in work tasks as determined by the university.
Ohio University reserves the right to amend any of the foregoing policies or rules.
Return to the top.
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohiou.edu/policy/s42-550.html) on June 8, 2009.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".