40.028: Personal Days for Classified Civil Service Employees
SUPERCEDED on February 1, 2008
|Approved on October 28, 2002||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|October 1, 2002||
|James E. Kemper
Assistant Vice President for Administration
for Human Resources
|Nancy Prichard Crist, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Administration
- This policy establishes the procedures for employees to have the use of three (3) sick leave days as personal days per year. This policy provides incentive for employees to accumulate sick leave hours for the purpose for which it is intended.
- It is the policy of the University to grant eligible employees the right to use three (3) sick leave days as personal days in recognition of the fact that some legal, private business, or family matters must be carried out during normal work hours.
Eligible employees must meet all of the following criteria:
- Full-time and part-time classified Civil Service employees serving in a regular certified or provisional appointment.
- This policy covers both Classified and Bargaining Unit Employees. Any references to "Classified Employees" should be interpreted as including also Bargaining Unit Employees.
- Classified employees will be eligible for personal leave during a fiscal year if they had a Sick Leave balance of at least 120 hours of accumulated Sick Leave for those assigned to eight hour shifts, or 150 hours of accumulated Sick Leave for those assigned to ten hour shifts, at the end of the last pay period of the prior fiscal year (this is the last pay period that does not include July 1).
- Intermittent and temporary employees are not eligible.
- Eligibility to use Personal Leave will be on a fiscal year basis, with University Sick Leave records used to determine accrued balances. Staff members who do not have a balance of 120.0 hours of Sick Leave, for those assigned to eight hours shifts, and 150.0 hours accumulated Sick Leave for those assigned to ten-hour shifts, will be ineligible to use Personal Leave until the beginning of a fiscal year in which their Sick Leave records confirm an eligible balance at the end of the last pay period of the prior fiscal year.
- Following the last pay period of the fiscal year, any unused Personal Leave will revert to Sick Leave. The resulting Sick Leave balance will then be evaluated to determine eligibility for the new fiscal year.
- At the start of the new fiscal year, 24 hours (for those individuals assigned to eight-hour shifts), or 30 hours (for those individuals assigned to ten-hour shifts), of Sick Leave will be converted to Personal Leave, for each staff member who qualifies.
- As the Personal Leave is requested and used, it is deducted from the Personal Leave balance.
- Personal Leave may be charged in minimum units of one (1) hour.
- Staff may use Personal Leave only for the days and hours for which they normally would have been scheduled to work, but not to include scheduled overtime.
- Personal Leave may not be used to cover unexcused absences, or to make up time.
- The conversion of Sick Leave to Personal Leave and vice versa is on a one-to-one ratio.
- Personal Leave may not be used to extend an employee's active pay status for the purpose of accruing overtime or compensatory time. It may not be used to extend an employee's date of resignation or retirement.
- Personal Leave will be reported using the current University and departmental Sick Leave policies in place. Personal leave usage will not be a factor in attendance ratings unless procedures are not followed by the employee.
- Upon separation; all unused personal days shall revert back to Sick Leave.
- If the University declares financial exigency, all unused Personal Leave will revert to Sick Leave balances.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- AFSCME Local 1699
- Classified Senate
- There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohiou.edu/policy/s40-028.html) on February 4, 2008.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "email@example.com".