24.020: Use of Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium
SUPERCEDED on June 4, 2012
|Approved on April 30, 2003||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
Director of Public Occasions
|Herman ("Butch") Hill, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Student Affairs
- This policy provides for the consistent allocation of space and time among the various competing uses of Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium, as referred to in this policy, includes the main auditorium and stage, as well as the other interior spaces of the facility, including the Chaddock-Morrow Alumni Room, the East and North Main lobbies, and the North Mezzanine.
The purposes of Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium are:
- To host programming that enhances the educational and cultural objectives of Ohio University and the southeastern Ohio communities.
- To also serve as a venue for public or community events, when available, and in accordance with the policies and procedures contained herein.
- The use of the facility shall generate revenue through the establishment of fees and the payment for all services provided by the staff of the Office of Public Occasions to sustain the operation of equipment, the facility, staffing, and operational needs. A list of all rental and equipment usage fees is available in the Office of Public Occasions.
I. Policy Cross-Reference
- Policy 01.025, "Use of Ohio University Facilities," provides an umbrella policy for all facilities usage. Issues not addressed in this policy may be addressed there. For the purposes of Policy 01.025, Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium is an auxiliary facility.
Policy 24.016, "Use of Campus Gate, Howard Hall Site, Wilhelm Amphitheatre, Wolfe Garden, West Portico of Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium, and Lindley Park," applies to the use of the West Portico and other exterior spaces of the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. This policy applies to the interior spaces of the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
Policy 20.095, "Approval of Fee Rates," describes the process for establishing and changing fees for facility use.
- The staff of the Office of Public Occasions shall be responsible for the scheduling, supervision, facilitation, and administration of all programs, classes, and events scheduled in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
III. Use Priorities
- All contracted Performing Arts Series programs.
- All Kennedy Lecture and Frontiers in Science programs.
- All College of Fine Arts classes, other academic classes.
- College of Fine Arts Programming Events, Honors Convocations and other University special weekends (i.e., Dad's, Mom's, Sib's, etc.) and special weeks (i.e., Communications Week, etc.), and Presidential Requests.
- Major student programming units (i.e., UPC, BSCPB).
- All other departments or colleges and registered campus organizations.
- All non-University organizations.
IV. Scheduling Set-up and Tear-down Time
- The Performing Arts Series programs scheduled shall include the day prior to the event. Other events may request the day prior to their scheduled event, subject to space availability. Certain programs may require additional days prior and subsequent to the public performance dates. These requests will be directed to the Director, Office of Public Occasions.
- The staff of the Office of Public Occasions reserves the right to recommend alternative spaces for user requests depending on expected size of audiences , technical needs, scheduling concerns, and appropriateness of program in facility.
- All programs, other than classes, must be scheduled two quarters and confirmed eight weeks in advance of the program date. The scheduling calendar is as follows:
Event Date Quarter to schedule Date to be confirmed
Any events scheduled, but not confirmed by the applicable date will be automatically dropped from the scheduling calendar.
Fall Quarter Prior Spring Quarter August 1st prior to Quarter
Winter Quarter Prior Summer Quarter October 1st prior to Quarter
Spring Quarter Prior Fall Quarter February 1st prior to Quarter
Summer Quarter Prior Winter Quarter April 1st prior to Quarter
All programs scheduling requests shall be made in advance with the Director of Public Occasions or designee utilizing one of the two forms listed below:
- Application for Scheduled Event Form
- Technical Information Form
- All staffing to include, but not limited to, house manager, technical director, stage manager, ushers, stage hands, and security shall be in the quantity, and quality, deemed necessary by the Director or designee for the protection and orderly maintenance of the facility and program.
- All organizations or departments requesting the use of the auditorium at a time when normal custodial services are not available shall be responsible for the associated costs of needed custodial services.
III. Ticket Office
- The Ticket Office will be operated solely by the Office of Public Occasions:
- All organizations or departments, charging admissions for a scheduled event, shall use the auditorium ticket office. There will be a 4% surcharge on gross receipts. Night of event staffing costs will also be charged to sponsoring organization.
- A 3.5% charge card fee will be assessed on all applicable charge card purchases and reimbursed by the sponsoring organization.
- All organizations or departments utilizing the auditorium ticket office shall have a University account for the deposit of all receipts unless prior authorization is approved by Director of the Office of Public Occasions.
- The seating for all events shall be on a reserved seat basis, unless otherwise approved by the Office of Public Occasions, but shall, in no way, be in violation of University policies or state laws.
- In the event of the cancellation of an event, the organization or department shall be responsible for all expenses incurred by the staff of the Office of Public Occasions prior to cancellation, including the associated costs of refunding of tickets if applicable.
- Events which include merchandise concessions shall either provide for the staffing of such concessions or be charged for staffing costs. There is a house fee of 20% of gross sales for all merchandise concessions.
- No food or drink of any kind shall be sold or given away in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium without the express approval of the Director.
VI. Recording and Photography
- The use of cameras and recording devices shall not be permitted, unless approved by the Director of the Office of Public Occasions.
- The organization or department sponsoring an event shall not distribute, nor permit to be distributed, at the event any literature pertaining to other than their event, without the express approval of the Director.
- Organizations or departments sponsoring an event must first receive clearance from the Office of Public Occasions before posting any advertisements (print or electronic media), to assure all information is correct.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Director of Space Management
- Internal Fees Committee
- The following forms are specific to this policy:
- The Application for Scheduled Event Form is available from the Office of Public Occasions.
- The Technical Information Form is available from the Office of Public Occasions.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/s24-020.html) on June 7, 2012.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "email@example.com".