Ohio University Uniform Policy on Emeritus/Emerita Status
SUPERCEDED on October 22, 2004
Procedure No.: 18.031
Page No.: 1 of 1
Date Issued: 09/22/95
Issued By: David Stewart
Previous Policy | Previous Page | Next Page | Next Policy
- Emeritus/Emerita status is recognition at the retirement of a faculty member (including early retirement) or presidential contract administrator who has completed a period of meritorious service. A faculty member or presidential contract administrator may be given Emeritus/Emerita status posthumously.
- Emeritus/Emerita status is conferred upon a faculty member or presidential contract administrator at the time of his/her retirement or death, if the individual is deemed worthy of this special recognition in the judgment of the appropriate academic department, regional campus, or administrative department with the concurrence of appropriate administrative officers and the president.
This judgment should be based on many or all of the following factors:
- a. length of service (except in special circumstances, a minimum of ten (10) years);
- b. quality of teaching and research or performance in the administrative position(s);
- c. overall contribution to the University; and
- d. service to society beyond the University community
3. Recommendations for Conferral:
- Recommendations for conferment of Emeritus/Emerita status begin in the department of current service by a process established by that department. Following approval at the departmental level, the names are forwarded for concurrence through the administrative chain-of-command to the President, who may recommend Emeritus/Emerita status to the Board of Trustees for approval at the spring meeting.
- An Emeritus/Emerita member is granted the following privileges as if he/she were an active faculty member, and/or presidential contract administrator:
a. full library privileges
- b. e-mail and related services
- c. ID card
- d. opportunity to secure parking consistent with current university policy
- e. same educational benefits that one had at time of retirement
Beyond these privileges, an Emeritus/Emerita member has the opportunity:
a. to purchase reserved seats to athletic contests and performing arts series
- b. to use some recreational facilities, wellness, and health services
- c. to attend certain alumni and University events, e.g. Homecoming Luncheon, Christmas Open house, class reunions, Commencement, and Honors Convocation.
- d. to join the O.U. Emeriti Association which sponsors monthly luncheon meetings, publishes monthly newsletters and an Emeriti Handbook, and maintains close association with the University through several active committees. (Widows and widowers of deceased Emeritus/Emerita members may belong to the Emeriti Association.)
In addition to these privileges, when an Emeritus/Emerita member is on active duty, he/she may be offered the use of other facilities such as office space and other facilities when they are available.
Return to the top.
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohiou.edu/policy/s18-031.html) on October 27, 2004.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "email@example.com".