03.007: Guest and Temporary Housing
SUPERCEDED on January 28, 2008
|Approved on November 6, 2002||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|September 15, 2002||
Director of Business and Residence Services
|Nancy Prichard Crist, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Administration
- A limited number of accommodations are available throughout the year for individuals affiliated with Ohio University and groups that are sponsored by departmental units. This policy provides guidelines for guest eligibility, reservation procedures, and building regulations. It is also intended to provide direction on the type of use and the amenity offerings to individuals and groups wishing to utilize this facility for residential or special events. It assures that appropriate cancellation procedures are implemented to cover costs associated with operations. This policy is not intended for conference or workshop participants.
- Individuals eligible to utilize guest housing facilities and accommodations must be affiliated with or sponsored through an Ohio University department. Overnight visitation may include family members of Ohio University students. Departments requesting reservations for an affiliated guest must provide a departmental account number, P-card number, or the individual will be asked to make payment at check-in, depending on who is financially responsible. Individual guests may request a reservation no earlier than 90 days prior to their on-campus visit. A major credit card must be presented to confirm reservation status and a sponsoring department or individual must be identified.
- Each reservation requires that the following information be provided:
- Complete name of primary guest
- Number and name(s) of all occupants residing in university facility
- Mailing address
- Home and work telephone numbers
- Major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), or departmental account number
- Arrival date and time
- Departure date and time
- Parking needs (Make, Model, Color, and License)
- Special needs
All reservations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, and confirmed by the department of Business and Residence Services. Reservation must be made at least 24 hours in advance, and check-in must occur prior to 8:30 p.m. Check-ins will be processed at the reception counter and keys issued at that time, within Bromley Hall, and at an agreed upon time for those residing in apartments for long-term accommodations. Checkouts are required by noon, unless special arrangements have been approved, and check-ins begin at 3:00 p.m. daily.
One room key and exterior key per guest will be issued at check-in. All lost keys must be reported immediately. A fee will be assessed for all lost keys, including keys issued to special rooms and facilities areas.
Accommodation may be made for temporary housing needs from 1-29 nights for a basic dorm style room. An individual room reservation requires prepayment of entire stay at check in, and may include a minimal deposit. Housing needs for 30 or more days requires the guest to sign a lease agreement and make a one-month payment plus deposit prior to check-in for all apartment style accommodations. If financially sponsored by a university department, a memo with authorized signature stating this commitment and the billing account number must be provided prior to approval.
II. Rates and Refund Schedule
- Rates are determined by the department of Business and Residence Services and are subject to change. Special rates are designated for holidays, special weekends, and meeting space requirements that include size of room, setup, and special needs. Information regarding current rates and special billing arrangements may be obtained by calling 566-9000 for short-term and 597-2571 for long term accommodations. Guests utilizing these facilities for functions not related to the educational mission of the university will be subject to all city, county, and state transient taxes.
A. Room Style Accommodations
- Room accommodations depend upon the building/location. Styles range from a traditional dorm style room to a VIP apartment.
Overnight room rates will provide basic furnishings to include a telephone, microfridge (dorm style), refrigerator (apartment style), TV cable hookup, twin or queen bed(s), desk and chair, closet space, dresser, and high-speed Ethernet connection (at specific locations only). Rates are based on individual room accommodation and requested amenities and services. Available amenities include:
- Linen services - scheduled on a seven day cycle
- Daily towel service and soap
- Meeting rooms
- Meal plan options
- Weight room
- Computer and printer
- Special rate discounts will be available for departmental-sponsored individuals staying longer than 7 days. If an individual is an employee of the university and is receiving a discounted rate or is being sponsored by a University department, the value of the benefit must be reported by the sponsoring department to the Ohio University Payroll Department as a benefit subject to federal, state, and local income taxes. This would include room, meals, and other amenities received.
C. Cancellation and Refunds
- Individual room cancellations will be refunded on the following schedule:
- Full Refund for 7 days or more advance notice
- 75% Refund for 5 or 6 days advance notice
- 50% Refund for 2, 3, or 4 days advance notice
- 25% Refund for 24 or more hours, but less than 48 hours advance notice
- No Refund will be issued if notification is received less than 24 hours prior to scheduled arrival time.
Cash refunds are not available at point of service. Refunds will be processed and received within 2 to 4 week from request.
III. Residential Restrictions
- Room occupancy must not exceed limitations on individual room requirements. Individuals exceeding occupancy will be required to secure additional space and/or obtain alternative housing.
B. Damage or Theft
- Each guest is responsible for proper care and use of the facility. Any damage or missing items from individual rooms will be billed to the appropriate person(s). Ohio University is not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen items. All individuals are responsible to maintain locked rooms and apartments at all times and secure personal items.
C. Noise Restrictions
- As a courtesy to neighboring rooms and apartments, guests are required to keep noise to a minimum level. All social activity or meetings must be conducted within public areas as provided throughout the facility.
D. Age Restrictions
- No individual under the age of 18 will be permitted to reside within the facility without adult supervision from a parent, counselor, or Residence Life staff member. Infants will not be authorized for overnight accommodation due to lack of available furnishings and service requirements of facility.
E. Use of Alcohol
- Alcohol may be permitted in accordance with Policy 24.001, "Use and Sale of Alcoholic Beverages on Ohio University Property and in Fraternity or Sorority Housing Units," and state law. Responsible behavior is expected at all times, and intoxication is never an excuse for inappropriate behavior. Guests may possess or consume alcohol only if they are of legal age to do so, and only in their residence or another residence of another guest who is of legal age. Use is prohibited outdoors, in lounges, meeting or conference rooms, or other common places unless a special event has been approved.
F. Fire and Safety
- Smoke detectors are located inside of each guest room and apartment. When a fire alarm sounds, all person(s) must vacate the building and re-enter only when authorization has been given by a university official or the Athens Fire Department.
G. Computer and Printer Use
- Computers and printers are available for guest use in some guest housing. In those units, a one-time fee will be assessed per room for access and use of computer and printer unit. Paper supplies are the responsibility of the guest. Additional software may not be installed on these systems unless required by an approved academic program.
- No pets will be permitted at any time. Only service animals will be permitted for those requiring assistance.
- All temporary facilities are smoke-free. All guests, students, and special event participants will be asked not to smoke throughout the entire facility. A damage fee will be assessed to those who choose to smoke within their assigned room or apartment.
- Limited parking will be available for guests and conference participants. Upon arrival a parking pass will be issued at check-in, and must be displayed on the automobile dashboard immediately. Individuals failing to maintain proper display at all times, or displaying expired passes, will be towed at owner's expense.
VI. Facility Rules and Regulations
A. Meeting and Conference Rooms
- Meeting and conference rooms are available on a limited basis within the facility for an additional fee. Advance reservations are required and approved through the Department of Business and Residence Services. Fees will be assessed based on setup, refreshments or banquet requests, and equipment requirements.
B. Recreational Pool
- The recreational pool located within the facility is available to guests at designated hours of operation. All special group arrangements will require that a lifeguard is on staff at all times. Refreshments are limited within the pool area. Recreational equipment is strictly prohibited unless utilized for educational purposes. No guest under the age of 18 will be permitted without adult supervision. Swimwear apparel must be worn. No cutoffs will be permitted due to possible damage to filtration equipment. Towels are the responsibility of the guest.
C. Weight Room
- A weight room is available to adult guest only at no additional fee. Key access must be obtained at the staff desk upon check-in. No guest under the age of 18 will be permitted to enter or utilize the weight room. All guests must be aware of any health conditions and personal limitations. Ohio University assumes no responsibility for accidents, injury or death. Individuals utilizing this facility do so at their own risk.
D. Dining Services
- Dining facilities are provided for traditional students and guests during the academic year, Monday through Friday. All guests will be permitted to purchase breakfast, lunch and dinner on a cash basis during this time. Dining hall facilities may have limited services available on weekends or during break periods, special events, and private banquets.
E. Laundry Center
- A laundry center is available to all guests and student residents within the guest housing facility or in the apartment complex.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Payroll Manager
- There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohiou.edu/policy/s03-007.html) on February 1, 2008.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "email@example.com".