41.125: Holidays for Administrative Presidential Appointees and Classified Employees
|Status:||Approved on November 30, 2012||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Effective:||30 days after approval||
|Initiated by:||Linda L. Lonsinger|
Chief Human Resource Officer
|Endorsed by:||Pam Benoit|
Executive Vice President and Provost
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- I. Overview
This policy complies with federal and state laws and Ohio University Trustees' action, and provides for the maximum possible predictability of holidays for planning purposes.
The university will be closed in observance of holidays as approved by the Ohio University Trustees.
A holiday which occurs on a Saturday will be observed on the preceding Friday; a holiday which occurs on a Sunday will be observed on the following Monday.
Security and vital services staff (e.g., Heating Plant and Campus Safety) will be required to work on holidays to maintain the vital services of the University.
To the extent practicable, Department Heads and Chairpersons should afford the maximum opportunity for employees to schedule time off for the express purpose of observing legitimate religious holidays. Such time off may be in the form of vacation leave or time off without pay.
The following ten (10) days are to be observed as holidays:
- New Year's Day (January 1)
- Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in January)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Veterans Day (November 11)
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October*)
- Presidents' Day (3rd Monday in February*)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
* These two "floating holidays" are scheduled on days other than the traditional dates shown in parentheses.
- II. Process
- At least three to four weeks prior to a scheduled holiday, notice should be given by the department head to employees who are required to work on that holiday to maintain the vital services of the University. If a supervisor assigns an hourly-pay employee to work on a day observed as a holiday, the employee will receive holiday pay plus pay for time worked, as described in Policy 40.050.
- If an administrative presidential appointee works on a holiday, he or she may take compensatory time off (at the rate of one hour off for every hour worked on the holiday) within the same fiscal year, scheduled with the approval of the department head.
Any compensatory time not taken within the same fiscal year as the holiday will be forfeited. Holiday provisions for administrative presidential appointees are covered in Policy 41.010.
- A full-time employee is eligible for eight (8) hours of pay for each holiday regardless of work shift and work schedule. Part-time employees are eligible for holiday pay for that portion of any holiday on which they would normally have been scheduled to work. Intermittent and emergency employees do not qualify for holiday pay.
- Holiday pay is not applicable for a holiday which occurs during an employee's unpaid leave of absence.
- University Human Resources will issue an official list of holiday observance dates for each fiscal year, as far in advance of the start of that fiscal year as practicable. Included in the list will be the dates of observance for the two floating holidays.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Payroll Manager
- Administrative Senate
- Classified Senate
- Faculty Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- A. Forms
There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
- B. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- Detailed information regarding the actual university observance of holidays can be found at http://www.ohio.edu/hr/benefits/pto/holidays.cfm.
- Policy 40.049, "Overtime for Classified Employees."
- Policy 40.050, "Payroll Time Reporting for Classified and Student Employees."
- Policy 41.003, "Partial-Month's Salary for Salaried Administrative Appointments."
- Policy 41.010, "Benefits for Administrative Presidential Appointees."
- C. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/41-125/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on:
- July 31, 2003
- May 1, 1997
- November 15, 1995
- November 15, 1994
- January 4, 1993
- January 1, 1991
- April 13, 1989
- May 18, 1987
- April 1, 1985
- February 1, 1983
- June 1, 1981
- January 2, 1980
- March 1, 1979
- July 1, 1977
- January 30, 1976
- July 25, 1974
- January 1, 1974
- May 6, 1970
- March 1, 1970