41.006: Group III Appointments
|Status:||Re-approved on August 23, 2013|
Re-approved on February 27, 2013
Approved on August 20, 2012
for interim use
|Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Effective:||August 27, 2012||
|Initiated by:||Linda L. Lonsinger|
Chief Human Resource Officer
|Endorsed by:||Pam Benoit|
Executive Vice President and Provost
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- I. Overview
This policy standardizes a contractual procedure for all individuals assigned part-time and overload appointments (academic and non-academic).
- Part-time appointments do not include undergraduate teaching contracts issued by University College, graduate contracts issued by the Graduate College, research assistants, teaching or research fellows or associates, post-doctoral fellows, or civil service and student employees.
- Part-time contracts will be issued to all individuals assigned part-time Group III appointments.
- Overload Contract Addenda are to be issued to all individuals on Presidential Contracts who are assigned part-time appointments at either the Athens or regional campuses as overload.
"Overload" is defined as any additional work which is performed by a full-time Presidential Contract employee during the period of their full-time contract (regardless of the length of their full-time employment).
Also, additional work performed by a full-time civil service employee but which work is not related to their normal duties shall be paid via an "over-load" contract (e.g., clerk typist who teaches evening dance class).
Overload work shall normally not be of the same type as the full-time position; such as a full-time programmer doing programming for another department; a full-time secretary doing secretarial work for a different department, etc.
- Summer teaching by a typical full-time faculty shall not be "overload."
- The accumulation of numerous part-time contracts which in total exceed 1.0 FE for a period of time does not give rise to overload for any work exceeding 1.0 FTE.
- Intermittent employees within eLearning Ohio will not be subject to this policy. Specifically, all persons employed by eLearning Ohio as instructors for non-term-based course options and persons not currently holding Presidential Contracts (not on the payroll, employed for less than one semester) will be paid by requisition.
- II. Procedure for Issuance of Part-Time Group III Contracts
Prior to issuance of part-time contracts, prospective personnel not on Presidential Contracts will be identified as such by the employing department or regional campus dean who will initiate the part-time Group III contracts.
- III. Procedure for Issuance of Overload Contract Addenda
Prior to issuance of Overload Contract Addenda, prospective personnel who are on Presidential Contracts will be identified as such by the employing department, approved by the individual's department chairman and by the dean of the college or campus or other appropriate administrative officer.
Faculty or staff members on Presidential Contracts will be issued Overload Contract Addenda specifying appointment responsibilities, overload salary, course call numbers, percentage of time in relation to full-time (F.T.E.) for the appropriate contract period, and duration of appointment.
The Dean of the College or the Regional Campus Dean will be responsible for auditing and enforcing the Overload Policy.
Incorrect or incomplete contracts will be returned to the originating department by the Payroll office.
- IV. Routing Procedure
The employing department or regional campus dean must forward a copy of all employees' signed contracts to the offices designated on individual copies of the contract. The Provost's office is responsible for forwarding xerox copies of each part-time contract to the Office for Institutional Equity and the Benefits office for all newly hired employees.
Part-time Group III contract or Overload Contract Addenda which are voided will be immediately routed back through the offices having employee-signed copies of the contract.
- V. Pay Schedule for Part-Time Contracts
Part-time contracts for one or more academic semesters will be paid within the relevant normal payroll processing schedule.
Overload contracts will be paid within the relevant normal payroll processing schedule.
Contracts not falling under one of the above will be paid at the time determined by the Payroll Manager.
- VI. Posting Procedure
If the position cannot be filled by a current or recently hired employee appointment in the same department, then it shall be considered an open position and the Athens department must notify the University Human Resources office of its availability, in compliance with Policy 40.121.
The distribution of sufficient quantities of blank contracts to all departments will be the responsibility of the Provost's office.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Administrative Senate
- Classified Senate
- Faculty Senate
- Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
- Director of Payroll
- Executive Director for Institutional Equity
- Vice Provost for eLearning and Strategic Initiatives
- Vice Presidents
- Other Planning Unit Heads
- Forms, References, and History
- A. Forms
There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
- B. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- Policy 40.121, "Making Presidential Appointments."
- Policy 41.002, "Overload Compensation for Contract Personnel."
- C. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/41-006/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on:
October 1, 1989
- July 1, 1987
- April 21, 1986
- October 6, 1976