General Principles Related to Appointments of University Executive Officers
Procedure No.: 40.105
Page No.: 1 and 2 of 2
Date Issued: 01/27/79
Issued By: C. Ping
Previous Policy Previous Page | Next Page Next Policy
- This policy provides for the appointment and evaluation of the major administrative officers of the University, including the President, Provost, Vice President, Vice Provost for Regional Higher Education, and Deans. It outlines regularized procedures for the search, appointment, evaluation, reappointment, and termination of these officers.
- A search committee will be established by the person responsible for making the appointment to assist in the identification, evaluation, and recommendation of highly qualified candidates.
a. The committee should be small enough to work effectively but large enough to accomplish its task (a reasonable range is six to fourteen).
b. In the case of an academic appointment the chairperson of the committee will be a faculty member.
c. The committee should include representatives of the major constituencies of the position. The search committee for a dean will include faculty, students and a dean. Half of the faculty will be elected by the Group I faculty members of the academic unit involved. The Provost will appoint the other half from the faculty of the college or unit after consultation with the department or school chairpersons.
d. The search committee for a President is appointed by the Board of Trustees and works under the guidance of the Board. The committee will include representatives from the major constituencies of the University.
- The charge to the committee and a general description of the position to be filled will be given by the person responsible for making the appointment. In the case of Deans the general description will be developed by the Provost in consultation with the members of the committee.
- The committee is responsible for insuring that affirmative action principles are observed. It will meet with the Affirmative Action Officer early in its deliberations.
- The deliberations of all search committees and their final report will be in confidence.
- Appointment is on an annual basis with the expectation that it will be continued from year to year or until terminated as provided below.
- Each Administrative Officer will be evaluated on an annual basis for the purposes of salary review, identification of areas of administrative improvement, and personal development.
- The President or Provost is responsible for coordinating the review. The major constituents of the position will be asked
to contribute information for the evaluation.
- In the case of Deans appropriate information will be sought from faculty by means of an annual questionnaire which contains both standard questions and questions specifically relevant to the academic unit of the Dean. A committee of faculty, half of whom will be appointed by the Faculty Senators from the college or unit and half of whom will be appointed by the Provost, will be created to assist the Provost in administering and interpreting - the questionnaire.
- If the annual review indicates significant concerns with the performance of the administrative officer, the President or Provost will work with the individual to identify specific steps for improvement. If significant concerns continue to be expressed in subsequent annual reviews and improvement is not made, the President or Provost will give serious consideration to the termination of the administrator officer.
- There should be a more comprehensive review during the Fall of the fifth year (or each five years thereafter) to provide a more general appraisal of executive performance and accomplishment. An advisory committee will be appointed by the President or Provost to assist with the comprehensive review. In the case of Deans the advisory committee shall consist of faculty from the college or unit, half of whom have been appointed by the Faculty Senators from the college or unit with the other half being appointed by the Provost. Its report will be given to the person being reviewed as well as to the President or Provost. In the case of Deans, the questionnaire sent to the faculty shall include a summary question on the reappointment of the Dean. Based upon the results of the comprehensive review the Provost, in consultation with the advisory committee, shall recommend the time (not to exceed five years) for the next comprehensive review. If more than 50% of the Group I faculty recommend that a dean not be reappointed, a search for a new dean will be initiated.
- The Board of Trustees is responsible for the annual review and the comprehensive review of the President. The Board of Trustees will select a committee including representatives from the University to assist with the comprehensive review.
- All reports of evaluations and reviews will be in confidence.
- No administrative officer will serve in that capacity after the end of the fiscal year during which the age for retirement from administrative duties is reached.
- An appointment may be terminated by the President, Provost, or by the appointee.
Return to the top.
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/40-105.html) on May 14, 2013.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".