40-063: Flexible Work Schedule, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace for Administrators
|Status:||Approved on November 30, 2012||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Initiated by:||Linda L. Lonsinger|
Chief Human Resource Officer
|Endorsed by:||Pam Benoit|
Executive Vice President and Provost
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- I. Overview
As a matter of work-life balance, Ohio University supports a progressive work culture and provides, where appropriate, Flexible Work Schedules, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace options for administrators. Ohio University acknowledges that there are growing demands on staff, as well as the growing demands on University space and energy requirements. Additionally, the University recognizes as a public entity, it is charged with using resources in the most efficient and effective manner.
- II. Flexible Work Schedules, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace Options
- A. Flexible Work Schedules
Flexible Work Schedules may include such options as a compressed work week (for example, four 10-hour days, four 9-hour days and one 4-hour day, etc.), or may include alternative start and end times to the work day. Flexible Work Schedules will not reduce the number of hours required to be worked by an employee. For example, a full-time employee will be required to work 40 hours in a work week.
- B. Flexible Hours
An additional purpose of this policy is to recognize occasional excess hours worked by an employee. A supervisor may approve reasonable, intermittent Flexible Hours in recognition of hours worked that are clearly in excess of the standard work week at Ohio University.
In such cases, the Flexible Hours option involves the downward flexing of the number of work hours in any given week and should be implemented within a reasonable time frame and as close to the period of excess hours worked as possible.
- C. Flexplace
Flexplace work options include working from home or an alternate location for one or more days per week.
- III. Use of Flex Options
The options for Flexible Work Schedule, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace are available when appropriate and at Management's discretion. The Guidelines for Flexible Work Schedule, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace for Administrators sets forth the mandatory requirements for managers and administrators; it must be reviewed prior to granting a Flex option. Flex options may be initiated by managers or affected administrators. The appropriate agreement form must also be completed prior to commencement of any Flex Options.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Vice Presidents
- Chairs and Directors
- Other Planning Unit Heads
- Administrative Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- A. Forms
The following forms are specific to this policy:
- Agreement for Flexplace Option is linked from http://www.ohio.edu/hr/forms/#f.
- Agreement for Flexible Work Schedule is linked from http://www.ohio.edu/hr/forms/#f.
- Home Office Safety Guidelines and Home Office Workers Compensation General Guidelines Agreement is linked from http://www.ohio.edu/hr/forms/#i.
- B. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- The Guidelines for Flexible Work Schedule, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace for Administrators is linked from http://www.ohio.edu/hr/policies/.
- Policy 03.003, "Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance."
- Policy 40.001, "Equal Employment and Educational Opportunity."
- Policy 40.053, "Flextime and Flexplace Scheduling for Classified Staff."
- Policy 40.054, "Family and Medical Leave."
- Policy 41.052, "Overload Compensation for Administrators and Classified Staff."
- C. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/40-063/.
No prior version of this policy has been approved.