Ohio University Policy and Procedure

Facilities Usage Charges

WITHDRAWN as of April 30, 2003

(consolidated into Policy 01.025)




Procedure No.:   16.001

Page No.:        1 and 2 of 2

Date Issued:     08/03/83

Issued By:       J. Tucker



Previous Policy  Previous Page  Next Page  Next Policy


Numeric Index -Policy and Procedure- Alpha Index



Purpose:

To provide a policy for assessing facilities usage charges for special activities and programs conducted by or at Ohio University for individuals, groups or organizations other than regularly enrolled students.


Policy:

It is the policy of Ohio University that the Office of Continuing Education, Conferences and Workshops shall coordinate special activities and programs. It is also the policy of Ohio University that a facilities usage charge be built into the budget of all programs covered by this policy. These charges are to be deposited in the University's general fund to offset expenses to the University for use of space and such support services as registration, payroll, purchasing and accounting, student records, etc. While it is recognized that some programs may use more facilities than others, the charges stipulated by this policy are considered minimal charges which will be assessed of all programs covered by this policy. Exceptions to this policy must be submitted in writing and be approved by the Director of Workshops and the Office of the Provost.

Charges stipulated by this policy will not be assessed of any college budgeted course or workshop which is primarily for credit and for which regular tuition is charged. Programs sponsored by a University unit, for which no participant charges are assessed, whether meeting on or off campus are also exempt from this policy. Arrangements for these activities should be handled directly by the department involved.


Programs Covered:

These special programs may use any of a variety of names - workshops, conferences, institutes, seminars, forums, conventions, clinics, sports camps, training sessions, etc. They may include irregular length courses for credit or non-credit. They may utilize campus or non-campus facilities. They may be conducted by any college, department, division or employee of the University. They may be supported by grants (e.g., State Department of Education, NSF or NDES), by contracts or contributed funds, or by fees.

Procedure:

To enable the Office of Continuing Education, Conferences and Workshops to fulfill its responsibilities, any individual, division, or department within the University will communicate its special programming interests to that Office. This notification should occur at the program development stage, and a Program Proposal/Notice Form is available for this purpose.

[Here begins page 2 of the hardcopy version.]


Outside Groups:

Any individual, group or organization outside the university interested in using university resources for special educational programs should be directed to the Office of Continuing Education, Conferences and Workshops. (See Policy 01.025, "Use of Ohio University Facilities.") The facilities usage charge for such activities shall be not less than 20% of the direct program expenses (excluding University residence hall and dining charges and fees for equipment and/or facilities for which specific charges are made). For those events for which there is no significant program expense, the 20% charge will be assessed to the participant fees (e.g., lessons, demonstrations, tickets to performances, etc.).

University Groups:

Normally, programs sponsored by the University, for which participant charges are assessed, whether meeting on or off campus, shall include a facilities usage charge of 15% of direct program expenses (excluding University residence hall and dining charges and fees for other equipment and/or facilities for which specific charges are made). Income in excess of budgets expenses (including the facilities usage charge), up to $1,500 shall be returned to the sponsoring planning unit. Income beyond $1,500 will be assessed an additional facilities usage charge of 10%, the remaining 90% to be returned to the sponsoring planning unit.

For all activities, whether sponsored by an outside organization or a University unit, an additional charge will be assessed for specific equipment or facilities which have high replacement value and/or maintenance costs. Such charges will be determined by units responsible for the equipment/facility based upon fair pro-rated costs. This fee will be returned to the unit for maintenance and/or replacement purposes.



Return to the top.


Previous Policy  Previous Page  Next Page  Next Policy


Numeric Index -Policy and Procedure- Alpha Index


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/16-001.html) on May 2, 2013.

Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "policy@ohio.edu".