Become an Ohio University Police Officer!
**OUPD will begin taking applications on March 1, 2014 for the 2014 Pool Posting**
The posting closes April 30, 2014
There are many benefits to becoming an Ohio University Police Officer:
- WAGES AND LATERAL TRANSFER (Effective July 1, 2013)
- Top pay for officers is $27.52 per hour ($57,241 per year base)
- Officers earn an additional 1% for having an associate's degree and 2% for having a bachelor's degree or higher
- New employees who do not have an OPOTA commission earn $18.35 per hour while in the academy. Upon graduation from the academy, new officer starting pay is $21.81 per hour ($45,365 per year base)
- New officers with OUPD who have prior law enforcement experience may be eligible for advanced placement in the wage steps upon intial hire (up to Wage Pay Step 4 - $25.97 per hour)
- All newly hired officers are issued 5 new full uniforms to include duty gear and equipment
- UNIFORM ALLOWANCE
- Officers are provided an annual uniform allowance of $1,100.00 (paid $550.00 twice per year)
- Officers immediately begin earning vacation time at a rate of 2 weeks per year
- At 5 years of service, officers earn 3 weeks of vacation per year
- At 10 years of service, officers earn 4 weeks of vacation per year
- At 20 years of service, officers earn 5 weeks of vacation per year
- Officers have 11 paid holidays throughout the year, one of which is the officer's birthday as a floating holiday.
- SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS
- Once an officer has completed his/her probationary period, he/she is elligible for assignments such as:
- Bicycle Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Narcotics Detective
- Evidence Room manager
- Crime Scene Investigator
- OPOTA Instructor
- Less Lethal Instructor
- Firearms Instructor
- Other training opportunities as available
- Officers contribute to the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System - Law Enforcement (OPERS-LE). Contributions to the plan are tax-deferred and deducted automatically each pay period.
- Free tuition (with the exception of general fees) at Ohio University and Hocking College
- Free tuition for the employee's spouse or domestic partner and dependent children at Ohio University
- LIFE INSURANCE
- Officers are provided basic life insurance at no charge. In the case of an officer's death, your beneficiary will receive two and one half times your salary, up to $50,000.
- Officers may buy additional life insurance at a low group rate.
- MEDICAL BENEFITS
- Ohio University offers a PPO medical plan administered by Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
- Vision coverage is administered by Vision Service Plan (VSP) and varies depending on employment type.
- Dental plan
- Optional orthodontia plan
Applications are only accepted online.
QUESTIONS? Contact Lt. Eric Hoskinson at (740) 593-1911 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For a full listing and explanation of Ohio University benefits, please visit the Human Resources Benefits page.