Winter Quarter 2009 Chamber Ensembles
Tuba-Euphonium Quartet: Seth Jervis & Jesse Prince (euphoniums); Jordan Von Wahlde & Holly Botzum (tubas)
Tuba Euphonium Quintet: Jackie Lewis & Carlton Winston (euphoniums); Ryan Weinkauf, Matthew Swintek, & Tiffany Osemwengie (tubas)
Brass Quintet: Joe Carlo & Erica Howard (trumpets), Buck Alred (horn), Joe Hamliton (trmobone), & Holly Botzum (tuba)
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE: March 9, 6:00 PM, THE FRONT ROOM, OU BAKER CENTER
OU TUBA-EUPHONIUM ENSEMBLE RECORDINGS
Objectives for the O.U. Euphonium-Tuba Ensembles are to:
1. become familiar with a body of literature that is definitive and challenging
2. strengthen pedagogical foundations and performance abilities
3. illustrate the versatile nature of the euphonium and tuba
4. provide invaluable chamber music experience
Each member is equally responsible for the performance and quality of this ensemble. In addition to rehearsal and performance preparation, each student may also be assigned various supplementary exercises. These may include the following:
1. assorted chamber music assignments (quartets, duets, or trios). Such assignments will be made at the instructor’s discretion. Individuals will be responsible for the preparation of such material for the purpose of master class and or public performances
2. listening assignments (recordings most likely put on reserve in the library)
3. Transcription/Composition Projects (see below)
Transcription/Composition Projects (Winter and Spring Quarter only)
Each student is required to complete one original transcription or composition for tuba-euphonium ensemble. All projects must be completed according to the following guidelines.
1. Score and parts must be computer generated for ensemble reading and final submission. Materials required for final submission are:
a. Score and parts hard copy
b. Electronic file of the materials in final form in both a .PDF format and the original file format used for creating the file.
2. Students may opt for original compositions versus transcriptions with approval from the instructor.
3. Projects must be completed in accordance to the following deadline schedule:
a. Chosen repertoire must be established/approved by TBA.
b. Drafts must be submitted to the instructor (score & 2 copies of each part) by noon on TBA.
c. Final materials (electronic files and hard copies) due TBA.
Chosen works must be selected AND discussed/mutually agreed upon by both the student and teacher.
Bruckner, Anton Symphonies, no. 7, E major. Adagio (trombone arrangement, adapt for 2 euphs and 2 tubas) M457.4.B783 A33 1967x
Grundman, Claire. Caprice for Clarinets M657.2.G78 C3 1961x
Three early madrigals for 4 Trumpets M457.4.T45 S5 1971x
Amand Semler-Collery . Pièce en forme de menuet pour 4 trompettes ut ou si M457.4.S45 P54 1970x
Nicola LeFanu Songs and sketches for cellos : a suite of seven pieces for the cello class. M651.L44 S6 1973x
André Ameller. Choral : pour 4 trombones ou violoncellos M457.4.A52 C5x
Pierne, Gabriel. March of the little tin soldiers .
Wolpe, Stefan. Sechs Märsche, op.10
Borodin, A. Tarantella for one piano, four hands
Villa-Lobos, Choros (No. 4) pour trois cors et un trombone
Mouret Symphonies de fanfares
Kabalesvky, Sonatina, Op. 13 No.1 in C Major (look for brass transcription by Cliff Barnes)
Buxtehude, Dietrich. Sonate, E-dur, op. 2, Nr. 6, für Violine, Viola da Gamba (oder Violoncello) und Cembalo (oder Klavier)
Tubist David Glivar (BM, Composition) conducting performance of his Cry Out for Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble.